Subject: Re: IPP> Notifications

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:04:52 PST

I believe that "mailto" can include session-based
connectivity if it's available.

Larry
-- 
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

---

From: "Turner, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 16:59:12 -0800

Yes, I think we will probably reach agreement on a job completion
notification via email. The real arguments will come when we want a more
or less "realtime" (non store-and-forward) notification of events
happening on a particular server.

Randy

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Larry Masinter [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Tuesday, February 03, 1998 4:56 PM
	To:	Turner, Randy
	Cc:	'Paul Moore'; [email-masked]'
	Subject:	Re: IPP> Notifications

	I like the idea of the client supplying, as part of a request,
	the URL for notifications. In email, this address could be
	supplied by the disposition-notification-to header, as with any
	kind of receipt notification. For requests that get delivered
	via IPP and POST, the address to which notifications get posted
	could be supplied by the client via a URL, too. Clients would
	have to know their own address, though, and make some kind of
	service guarantee that they're willing to listen to responses
	at that address. In some cases, the address of notification will
	be different than the client address.

	In email delivery for Internet Fax, we've also wanted to have
	a notification protocol for "successful printing"; I'd like to
	make sure that IPP and Internet Fax don't invent different
	mechanisms for no good reason.

	Larry