Subject: IPP> MOD - Definition for 'reverse-portrait' enum value

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:53:45 PST

Here is my action item from the telecon today to propose the definition
for the new enum value of the renamed "orientation-requested" attribute:
'reverse-portrait', including a note as to why.

1. We agreed today to rename "orientation" to "orientation-requested", since
this Job Template attribute is requesting the IPP Printer to format
the text/plain documents, rather than declaring how the document
had been formatted by the creator software.

2. Previous e-mail suggested renumbering starting with '3' for
compatibility with the PWG MIB conventions, where we can't use '0',
use '1' for 'other', and '2' for 'unknown'.

3. I also added:

     when the IPP Printer performs the formatting

to the end of the description.

At the end of this e-mail message, I've put a copy of the current text for
reference.

Proposed new text:

4.2.10	orientation-requested (type2 enum)

This attribute specifies the orientation of the content of the print-stream
pages to be printed.  In most cases, the orientation of the content is
specified within the document format generated by the device driver at
print time. However, some document formats (such as 'text/plain') do not
support the notion of page orientation, and it is possible to bind the
orientation after the document content has been generated.  This attribute
provides an end user with the means to specify orientation for such
documents when the IPP Printer performs the formatting.

Standard values are:

Value	Symbolic Name and Description

'3'	'portrait':  The content will be imaged across the short edge of the
medium.

'4'	'landscape':  The content will be imaged across the long edge of the
medium.  Landscape is defined to be a rotation of the print-stream page to
be imaged by +90 degrees with respect to the medium (i.e. anti-clockwise)
from the portrait orientation.  Note:  The +90 direction was chosen because
simple finishing on the long edge is the same edge whether portrait or
landscape

'5'	'reverse-landscape':  The content will be imaged across the long edge
of the medium.  Reverse-landscape is defined to be a rotation of the
print-stream page to be imaged by -90 degrees with respect to the medium
(i.e. clockwise) from the portrait orientation.  Note: The
'reverse-landscape' value was added because some applications rotate
landscape -90 degrees from portrait, rather than +90 degrees.

'6'	'reverse-portrait':  The content will be imaged across the short edge
of the medium.  Reverse-portrait is defined to be a rotation of the
print-stream page to be imaged by 180 degrees with respect to the medium
from the portrait orientation.  Note: The 'reverse-portrait value was added
for use with the "finishings" attribute in cases where the opposite edge is
desired for finishing a portrait document on simple finishing devices that
have only one finishing position.  Thus a 'text/plain' portrait document
can be stapled "on the right" by a simple finishding device as is common
for use with some middle eastern languages such as Hebrew.

Note: The effect of this attribute on jobs with multiple documents is
controlled by the "multiple-document-handling" job attribute (section 4.2.4
) and the relationship of this attribute and the other attributes that
control document processing is described in section 15.5. 

Existing text in the 12/19/97 Model document:

4.2.10	orientation (type2 enum)

This attribute specifies the orientation of the content of the print-stream
pages to be printed.  In most cases, the orientation of the content is
specified within the document format generated by the device driver at
print time. However, some document formats (such as 'text/plain') do not
support the notion of page orientation, and it is possible to bind the
orientation after the document content has been generated.  This attribute
provides an end user with the means to specify orientation for such documents.

Standard values are:

Value	Symbolic Name and Description

'1'	'portrait':  The content will be imaged across the short edge of the
medium.

'2'	'landscape':  The content will be imaged across the long edge of the
medium.  Landscape is defined to be a rotation of the print-stream page to
be imaged by +90 degrees with respect to the medium (i.e. anti-clockwise)
from the portrait orientation.  Note:  The +90 direction was chosen because
simple finishing on the long edge is the same edge whether portrait or
landscape

'3'	'reverse-landscape':  The content will be imaged across the long edge
of the medium.  Reverse-landscape is defined to be a rotation of the
print-stream page to be imaged by -90 degrees with respect to the medium
(i.e. clockwise) from the portrait orientation.  Note: The
'reverse-landscape' value was added because some applications rotate
landscape -90 degrees from portrait, rather than +90 degrees.

Note: The effect of this attribute on jobs with multiple documents is
controlled by the "multiple-document-handling" job attribute (section
4.2.4) and the relationship of this attribute and the other attributes that
control document processing is described in section 15.5.