Subject: IPP> Recent IETF drafts of interest to IPP

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 16:54:52 -0500

The IETF has just announced the publication of a rash of documents,
several of which might have direct bearing to IPP, or at least be
of interest to many IPP participants.

I have included a summary of those documents below, derived from
the official IETF announcement messages.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

        Title           : Preferred Language Tag
        Author(s)       : M. Blanchet
        Filename        : draft-blanchet-preflang-00.txt
        Pages           : 
        Date            : 16-Feb-98
        
This memo defines a new tag which will help users and servers to determine the best language in their communications. For
example, error messages coming from SMTP servers or HTTP servers can use this tag to send those error messages in the
preferred language for the user.

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blanchet-preflang-00.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

        Title           : Language Tagging in Unicode Plain Text
        Author(s)       : G. Adams, K. Whistler
        Filename        : draft-whistler-plane14-00.txt
        Pages           : 13
        Date            : 16-Feb-98
        
This document proposed a mechanism for language tagging in [UNICODE]
plain text. A set of special-use tag characters on Plane 14 of
[ISO10646] (accessible through UTF-8, UTF-16, and UCS-4 encoding forms)
are proposed for encoding to enable the spelling out of ASCII-based
string tags using characters which can be strictly separated from
ordinary text content characters in ISO10646 (or UNICODE).

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whistler-plane14-00.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

        Title           : MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as 
                          HTML (MHTML)
        Author(s)       : N. Shelness, A. Hopmann, J. Palme
        Filename        : draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt
        Pages           : 27
        Date            : 16-Feb-98
        
HTML [RFC 1866] defines a powerful means of specifying multimedia
documents. These multimedia documents consist of a text/html root
resource (object)and other subsidiary resources (image, video clip,
applet, etc. objects) referenced by Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs)
within the text/html root resource. When an HTML multimedia document is
retrieved by a browser, each of these component resources is
individually retrieved in real time from a location, and using a
protocol, specified by each URI.
 
In order to transfer a complete HTML multimedia document in a single e-
mail message, it is necessary to:- a) aggregate a text/html root
resource and all of the subsidiary resources it references into a
single composite message structure, and b) define a means by which URIs
in the text/html root can reference subsidiary resources within that
composite message structure.
 
This document does both. It a) defines the use of a MIME
multipart/related structure to aggregate a text/html root resource and
the subsidiary resources it references, and b) specifies two MIME
content-headers (Content-Base and Content-Location) that allow URIs in
a multipart/related text/html root body part to reference subsidiary
resources in other body parts of the same multipart/related structure.
 
While initially designed to support e-mail transfer of complete multi-
resource HTML multimedia documents, these conventions can also be
employed by other transfer protocols such as HTTP and FTP to retrieve a
complete multi-resource HTML multimedia document in a single transfer
or for storage and archiving of complete HTML-documents.
 
Differences between this and a previous version of this standard, which
was published as RFC 2110, are summarized in chapter 13.

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-05.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the MIME Encapsulation of
Aggregate HTML Documents Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Sending HTML in MIME, an informational
                          supplement to the RFC:  MIME Encapsulation of
                          Aggregate HTML Documents (MHTML)
        Author(s)       : J. Palme
        Filename        : draft-ietf-mhtml-info-09.txt
        Pages           : 20
        Date            : 16-Feb-98
        
The memo ''MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate HTML Documents (MHTML)''
(draft-ietf-mhtml-rev-02.txt) specifies how to send packaged aggregate
HTML objects in MIME format. This memo is an accompanying informational
document, intended to be an aid to developers. This document is not an
Internet standard.
 
Issues discussed are implementation methods, caching strategies,
problems with rewriting of URIs, making messages suitable both for
mailers which can and which cannot handle Multipart/related and handling
recipients which do not have full Internet connectivity.

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mhtml-info-09.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------