Subject: JMP> SNMP Notifications and Registration Methods Agenda

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 08:27:05 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Carl-Uno has agreed to provide a 2-3 hour slot next Thursday to discuss 
SNMP notifications and registration as applicable to both IPP and the 
Job Monitoring MIB.

There is considerable interest in the IPP group on this subject, since 
it appears that SNMP traps and/or informs could be one of the possible 
notification methods for IPP.  Randy did a very good job in Austin of 
providing background on SNMPv3 and I would like to further examine this 
subject and reach a general consensus as to the direction.  The meeting 
agenda will consist of two primary topics.

I. Trap/Inform conditions:

  The JMP group has defined 11 conditions that could generate a 
  trap/inform condition.  I would like to quickly review these with 
  the IPP group to insure that this list is adequate.   (If time 
  permits, we will review Tom Hastings proposed definitions for 
  these items.)

1.  Start of job
2.  Job completion
3.  Job aborted
4.  Job canceled
5.  Job progress, sheets stacked
6.  Job progress, copy completed
7.  Job received 
8.  Job hold notification
9.  Job release notification
10. Print deadline exceeded
11. Job accounting information expired

II. Registration methods:

  This is presently the most controversial part of the project and I 
  expect will occupy the majority of the meeting.  To prepare for the 
  meeting, I suggest that everyone review the SNMPv3 documents (RFCs 
  2271 to 2275) and the Job Async Monitoring MIB (Joe Filion, and Ira 
  McDonald at ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/contributions/jam_v010.txt).

  I can think of four possible alternatives:

    1.  Use the SNMPv3 registration MIBS.
    2.  Use the Job Async Monitoring MIB registration.
    3.  Create a hybrid with the best of both and maybe new ideas.
    4.  Send SNMP into the world of deprecation, (and never to be heard 
        from again).

See you in Portland,

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.