Subject: IPP> Attributes

From: "steve gebert Dept:ecg SN:579517 Div:ISM Ext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 09:47:20 MST

Perhaps someone can clear up a confusion I have here. In the model
document I find "Status-Code" under section 3.2.1.2 Print-Job Response
given as being in Group 1, an Operation Attribute. However, in the
protocol document "Status-Code" is treated as a distinct entity. It
is not treated as an Operation Attribute, as it is transmitted before
an operation-attribute tag (this tag signifying the beginning of all
operation attributes). There seems to be a contradiction here.
Can someone explain this to me. Thanks, Steve Gebert

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:31:17 PST

It is a little confusing, since the status code is indicated as
being in group 1 in the Model, along with the OPTIONAL "status-message",
and MANDATORY "attributes-charset" and "attributes-natural-language",
but the status code is always returned as a two octet value in the
protocol, so it really isn't really an operation attribute returned in
group 1.

One way to think of it is that the status code is a operation attribute
that is mapped in the protocol document to the fixed place in the protocol
(and there is no "status-code" keyword returned, only the two-octet value).

We probably need to clarify this in both the Model and Protocol documents.

Tom