Subject: IPP> MOD - Two Get Attributes Operations

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 23:17:01 -0800

The subject of splitting up the current Get Attributes operation into two
operations, one for Get Printer Attributes and one for Get Job Attributes
has been discussed earlier in the project and more lately been advocated by
a couple of implementors. Comments over the last few days have all been
positive to the ideas of two operations.

I believe that we have consensus to make a last minute editing of our
documents to provide for the two, rather than the single operation. I have
spoken to the editors today and they are all in favor.

If anybody objects to this, please respond immediately as we are still
planning to finish off the final editing by tomorrow Friday December 19.

Carl-Uno

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:48:14 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Carl-Uno,

This proposed change appears to be well justified.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:45:29 PST

Sounds good.

So the old section 3.2.5 Get-Attributes (for Printer objects)
becomes 3.2.5 Get-Printer-Attributes with no changes in the spec 
(the target remains a printer URI).

and the old section 3.3.4 Get-Attributes (for Job objects)
becomes 3.3.4 Get-Job-Attributes with no changes in the spec
(the target remains either a printer URI plus a job-id 
 OR a job-uri (with no job-id).

Both operations are MANDATORY.

If we add new objects to IPP in the future, they will be OPTIONAL
for compatibility.
And we can then add an OPTIONAL Get-Object-Attributes operation
which takes the URI for the object to get its attributes.  
We'd probably just add a new tag in the protocol for responses: 
object-attributes.

Thus the change we are making today does not preclude our adding
new OPTIONAL objects in the future.

Tom