Subject: Re: IPP> Notification Requirements [fractured text file]

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 19:45:28 PST

Hi Roger,

When I pulled down the '.txt' version of your IPP notification 
requirements (THANK YOU for posting a '.txt' version!), I found
that it suffered from the same creeping illness that afflicts
Tom Hastings' MS Word to '.txt' files - to whit, LOTS of lines
spit out in fragments with CR (carriage return) and more text
and CR and finally LF (linefeed/newline).

A year ago, I wrote a tool for Tom (DOS command line, but 
source is available - it's ANSI C) called 'overx' to fold
these overstrike lines into real flat text.  I just used
it to fixup your posting, but don't have the password to
post to PWG server, so I'll hope Tom reads this note and
moves it from a Xerox server (call me Tom) to the PWG
server.  Before fixups, the longest line before a LF
was 181 characters.  After fixups, the longest line was
72 characters (hey, follows the IETF style guidelines
- good work!).

Recently, I found a bug in 'overx' and posted new version
internally here in Xerox.  Tom can post the new one to
the PWG site.  Tom's latests PWG Job Mon MIB v1.0 needed
the repaired 'overx' to get the SMIC 'mstrip' tool to
work right, so it is worthwhile to get the latest 
executable on the PWG servers.

If anyone is really interested in source to 'overx'
(and siblings 'strip' [removes controls and graphics],
'cscan' [character counts, including all controls,
DEL, and graphics], and 'maxln' [counts lines longer
than a specified 'fence' column]), please send me 
mail - if I post them to the PWG server, I'll have
to support them, and religious fanatics will no doubt
criticize them for being written in ANSI/ISO C (old,
bad language) and not Java (new, cool language)...

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald