Subject: IPP> MOD - New Model document posted - ipp-model-980619.pdf

From: "Scott Isaacson" <[email-masked]> (by way of Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:36:23 PDT

I've posted the updated Model document with all of the changes requested
by the Area Director and agreed to by the WG at last week's telecon
and previously:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980619.txt
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980619.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980619-rev.pdf

The latter shows the revisions from the January I-D, and so includes
the changes that were in the May 29 version (since it was not made an I-D).

Please look at the revisions to make sure we are all in agreement on the
telecon, tommorrow, Wed, 6/24/98, 10-12 PDT (1-3 EDT).  Send e-mail and/or
join the call if you see any problems.  The plan is to send all the 
documents to the IESG as soon as possible BEFORE the Monterey meeting.

Two salient points:

1. Section 6 is updated after initial discussions with Jon Postel of IANA
as requested by Keith Moore in his comments.

Jon requested a new section 12 be added for how to submit requests
for registrations.

Both sections 6 and 12 have not yet been reviewed by Jon.

2. We had to keep the 'name' attribute syntax at a maximum of 255 octets,
since the Printer MIB has the prtInputMediaName as 255 octets which is
the same as the IPP "media" attribute.  Also since the Printer MIB has
prtGeneralPrinterName as 127 octets and a number of other names as 63 octets
(vendor name, etc.), we had to keep the concept that the 'name' attribute
syntax, like the 'text' attribute syntax, can have a shortened maximum
in the header line in the Model specification.

Scott

P.S. Scott asked me (Tom) to send the e-mail, because of a problem with
his e-mail server.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:26:11 PDT

Hi Scott,

Well done!  Also, to Roger deBry for updating the Rationale.
Bob Herriot, you got a new Protocol Encoding draft in the
works?

Let's keep our good concensus and good cooperation going
forward.  It was VERY productive having two IESG Area
Directors (Keith Moore and Patrik Faltstrom) join our
telecon and help us understand their concerns.

See you all on the phone tomorrow,
- Ira McDonald

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:27:17 PDT

Scott just phoned me from an off site meeting and he was not able
to do the diff with the January version.  MS-WORD had problems with
doing the diff.

So the revision marks are against the May 29 version only (contrary
to the message sent below).

Tom

>X-Sender: hastings@garfield
>X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.5 (32)
>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:36:23 PDT
>To: [email-masked]
>From: "Scott Isaacson" <[email-masked]> (by way of Tom Hastings
<[email-masked]>)
>Subject: IPP> MOD - New Model document posted - ipp-model-980619.pdf
>Sender: [email-masked]
>