Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:57:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol 
                          Specification
	Author(s)	: R. Turner, R. Herriot, S. Butler, P. Moore
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 28-Oct-97
	
This document is one of a set of documents, which together describe all
aspects of a new Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).  IPP is an
application level protocol that can be used for distributed printing
using Internet tools and technology.  The protocol is heavily influenced
by the printing model introduced in the Document Printing Application
(ISO/IEC 10175 DPA) standard.  Although DPA specifies both end user and
administrative features, IPP version 1.0 is focused only on end user
functionality.
 
The full set of IPP documents includes:
 
  Internet Printing Protocol: Requirements
  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics
  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Security
  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification
  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Directory Schema
 
The requirements document takes a broad look at distributed printing
functionality, and it enumerates real-life scenarios that help to
clarify the features that need to be included in a printing protocol for
the Internet.  It identifies requirements for three types of users: end users, operators, and administrators.  The requirements document calls
out a subset of end user requirements that MUST be satisfied in the
first version of IPP.  Operator and administrator requirements are out
of scope for v1.0. The model and semantics document describes a
simplified model with abstract objects, their attributes, and their
operations. The model introduces a Printer object and a Job object.  The
Job object supports multiple documents per job.  The security document
covers potential threats and proposed counters to those threats.  The
protocol specification is formal document which incorporates the ideas
in all the other documents into a concrete mapping using clearly defined
data representations and transport protocol mappings that real
implementers can use to develop interoperable client and server side
components. Finally, the directory schema document shows a generic
schema for directory service entries that represent instances of IPP
Printers.
 
This document is the ''Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol
Specification'' document.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.