Subject: IPP> I've uploaded newest Ira McDonald's tools for producing IETF txt files

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:56:29 PST

Ira has updated his tools, including fixing a bug, to:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/tools/cscan.exe

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/tools/maxln.exe

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/tools/overx.exe

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/tools/strip.exe

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/tools/readme.txt

These help in producing .txt files that follow IETF rules

for ASCII files, with no special characters, and no lines longer than

72 characters.

Here is the readme.txt file:

<bigger>Hi folks,                                Thursday (29 January
1998)

The following files are in '/pub/pwg/tools/ (DOS executables):

cscan.exe - Character Scan Utility

maxln.exe - Maximum Line Length Scan Utility

overx.exe - Overstrike Merge Utility

strip.exe - Control Character Strip Utility

Each of the programs has a -h option which explains the command line.

Sometimes, MIBs produced with MS-WORD cannot be successfully

stripped of headers and footers.  The fix is to run my text utility
'overx', which

folds line fragemnts from overstrike lines (fragments end in single

carriage returns, without a following linefeed/newline) to combine them

into a single canonical line - the 'generic text driver' with some or

all versions of MS Word yields such overstrike lines when used with

Tom's styles - I wrote 'overx' last year, to help Tom out - these 
latest

Job Mon files caused me to find and fix a small bug in 'overx'.

Ira McDonald, outside consultant to Xerox Corp.

</bigger>