Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:53:36 -0500

In case you did not notice this,  Josh Cohen and a crowd of other
Microsoft folks have published an Internet Draft on overloading POST.

Roger K deBry
Senior Technical Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 02/17/98 10:52
AM ---------------------------

Carl Kugler
02/17/98 10:11 AM
To: Steve Gebert/Boulder/IBM, Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM, Harry
Lewis/Boulder/IBM, Keith Carter/Austin/IBM
cc:
From: Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM @ IBMUS
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt

Have you seen Josh's new Internet-Draft?

   For those unfamiliar with the issue at hand, IPP, the Internet
   Printing Protocol, has submitted their protocol for last call which
   provides print functionality over HTTP.  To encode the protocol, a
   binary protocol payload is transmitted as the body of a POST.
...
   Our recommendation is in part philosophical in that we believe that
   new methods are a more clean way to deal with new functionality.
   However, our most pressing reason is the security consequences of
   overloading POST.

---------------------- Forwarded by Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM on 02/17/98 10:08
AM ---------------------------

[email-masked] on 02/17/98 06:32:54 AM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet
cc:
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

 Title           : Don't Go Postal - An argument against
     improperly overloading the HTTP POST Method
 Author(s) : J. Cohen et al.
 Filename : draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt
 Pages  :
 Date  : 16-Feb-98

As time goes on, more and more groups are extending HTTP's functionality. In
using HTTP, a decision is made to either use a new method name for new
functionality or to overload an existing one such as POST.  Our belief is that
in most cases, overloading existing method names, with POST as a particularly
troublesome example, is a bad idea.  We, as a group of individuals, suggest
that the default requirement for new HTTP functionality must be to create a new
method name.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
 "get draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

 Africa: ftp.is.co.za

 Europe: ftp.nordu.net
  ftp.nis.garr.it

 Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au

 US East Coast: ds.internic.net

 US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to: [email-masked].  In the body type:
 "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt".

NOTE: The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
 MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
 feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
 command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
 a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
 exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
 "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
 up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
 how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Josh Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:08:35 -0800

its not just microsoft.
Scott lawrence from agranat systems, an embedded web server
vendor is listed as a co-author as well.

In addition, while they havent been listed as co-authors,
inktomi (cache vendor), netscape, have voiced support for that
argument.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger K Debry [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 1998 9:54 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-cohen-http-ext-postal-00.txt
> 
>