Subject: IPP> Re: SENSE> Re: PWG> Maui PWG Overview Minutes

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:28:06 -0500

Dave,

Thanks for the starting points.  Do you have a bit more info or
pointers for these?

  Javasoft

      Are you referring to some defined subset or related service
      of RMI, or the emerging CORBA-related stuff, or something
      else?  Any specific documents/URLs/etc you might cite?

  OMG

      You must be referring to the CORBA Event Services?  Do you
      know whether the Event Service can run "standalone" without
      requiring many other components of the CORBA environment?
      (A "too fat" implementation will kill most interest here, IMHO)

  Microsoft internal protocol

      Is this a documented, "open" protocol?  (Had to ask.)
      Or is this a protocol that a few select players have access
      to, but is otherwise unavailable/undocumented for general use?

Anything you (or anyone else) can provide would be appreciated.

Hopefully everyone is interested in publicly discussing the
alternatives while we simultaneous flesh out the key requirements.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
>        Javasoft, OMG, and Microsoft's internal protocol were among the
>        emerging notification schemes mentioned at the meeting.
> 
>        Dave Kuntz - HP
> 
> ______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
> Subject: SENSE> Re: PWG> Maui PWG Overview Minutes
> Author:  Non-HP-jkm ([email-masked]) at HP-Roseville,mimegw3
> Date:    2/4/98 3:13 PM
> 
> Harry,
> 
> Part of your fine summary included this section on Sense:
> 
>   SENSE Notification Protocol
> 
>   No status. Jay Martin (SENSE Chair) not present. It is unfortunate
>   that we were unable to schedule a SENSE discussion in Maui because
>   IPP is interested in considering SENSE as notification scheme. IPP
>   may also want to look at SNMPv3 (recently published RFCs). It was
>   noted that there are many notification protocols available today
>   that may need to be investigated.
> 
> Would someone be so kind as to list the "many notification protocols
> available today that may need to be investigated"?  I would be more
> than happy to start investigated those alternatives if someone would
> post them to the IPP list (or the Sense list, or whatever).
> 
> Thanks in advance.
> 
>         ...jay
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
> --  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
> --  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
> --  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------