Subject: Re: SENSE> Re: IPP> Re: SNMPv3 unsuited for IPP/JMP Notifica

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:54:01 -0500

I response to Ira' comment...

> IEM> But, your examples are all of infrastructure (intermediate-systems),
> not printers, scanners, and other end-systems.  Managing a hub or router
> has essentially nothing in common with managing end-systems, except that
> they use a common protocol - SNMPv1, NOT SNMPv3, which is unlikely to be
> widely deployed for at least the next three years - look at the deployment

We (PWG) crossed the "using SNMP to manage printers" question long ago. Some
people have never been comfortable with it but no one can deny we did. To some
degree, one can argue that every network element is part of it's
infrastructure. That's pretty much how I believe we got where we are. I'm not
saying it's right or wrong. I've just been trying to make good use of it rather
than judge it or wish for something different.

Also, I don't believe we can predict SNMPv3 rollout based on V2 lag. SNMPv2 had
a goory history - so bad that many chose not to implement. I view SNMPv3 as the
answer to the v2 problem, not a repeat of it.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:15:11 -0500

I also agree...  (its not realistic for a simple embedded device to maintain
notification info for hundreds of clients). But, this does not mean that the
embedded Device should never be able to handle notification to multiple
clients. There may be more than one "notification server", or some smaller
scale networks using peer-to-peer printing without a notification server.

Yes, the embedded device will ultimately limit the number of notification hosts
it can service, but (as I presented in Austin) I feel 16 - 32 is not
unreasonable for many "network printers".

[email-masked] on 03/23/98 08:33:19 AM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: SENSE> Re: IPP> Re: SNMPv3 unsuited for IPP/JMP Notification

Turner, Randy wrote:

> I will reiterate my belief that I don't think its realistic for a simple
> embedded device to maintain notification info for hundreds of clients