Subject: IPP> MOD & PRO - Security terminology

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:58:57 PST

Randy and other looking at improving our text on security,

In our earlier discussions, we have loosely spoken about "secure" and
"insecure" URIs for IPP etc. I suggest that we need to come up with better
terms for the actual text in the draft documents, such as:

	HTTP URI:			TLS URI:

	Basic security 		Enhanced security
	Simple security		Advanced security

What I want to avoid is to call the first case "insecure" or "non-secure"
as it contains the case where RFC 2069 is used, which by many is considered
to be enough of security for a particular IPP printer.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:15:07 PST

> I suggest that we need to come up with better

Making up new english words for technical situations seems risky.
How about:

HTTP URL:
    digest-authentication printer

TLS security:
    HTTPS-secured printer

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:01:22 PST

I agree we need to be careful of the terminology.

What about the name of the extra URI Printer attribute?

The minutes suggest the name "secure-printer-uri" to go along with
the existing "printer-uri" attribute.  Same for the directory schema.

Maybe we should go back to the name that was in the Model document:

  "printer-tls-uri"

Here is the suggested text for both the "printer-uri" and the
"printer-tls-uri" attributes.

The current "printer-uri" description is:

4.4.1	printer-uri (uri)

This MANDATORY Printer attribute contains the URI for the Printer object.
An administrator determines a printer's URI and sets this attribute to that
URI.  This MUST be an HTTP schemed URI, however the precise format of a
printer URI is implementation dependent.

We need to add text to both about the 'no-value' case as agreed to in
the telecon and described in Roger's minutes:

4.4.1	printer-uri (uri)

This MANDATORY Printer attribute contains the URI for the Printer object.
An administrator determines a printer's URI and sets this attribute to that
URI.  This MUST be an HTTP schemed URI, however the precise format of a
printer URI is implementation dependent.

If the administrator configures the Printer to use TLS security only, 
the Printer object SHALL return a 'no-value' for this attribute when
queried (on the TLS security port - see Section 4.4.2).

4.4.2	printer-tls-uri (uri)

This MANDATORY Printer attribute contains the TLS URI for the Printer
object.  An administrator determines a printer's TLS URI and sets this
attribute to that URI.  This MUST be an HTTPS schemed URI, however the
precise format of a TLS printer URI is implementation dependent.

If the administrator configures the Printer to not use TLS security or the
implementation does not support TLS, the Printer object SHALL return
a 'no-value' for this attribute when queried (on the HTTP port - see
Section 4.4.1).

Tom