Subject: IPP> Is that it?/ A tome from home

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:35:22 -0500

Well, they got me as IPP chair and I have no idea where they got the first
two quotes but
a little international publicity (Malaysia) is OK by me.  I am sure this
story is the result
of the Paris IPP presentation I made early in November....

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************
---------------------- Forwarded by Don Wright on 12/01/97 09:31 PM
---------------------------

               November 28, 1997                                          

 ------------+-----------------------------+----------------------------- 

                       Is that it?/ A tome from home

 COMPUTIMES via Individual Inc. : page 30

 WRITERS will be able to send their manuscripts over the Internet and have
 them published instantly if a standard being agreed by major printer
 manufacturers catches on. The Internet printing protocol (IPP) will make
 it possible to print out documents by locating its Web address and simply
 pressing the "print" button.

 Internet-enabled printers will be connected to a Web server and have their
 own unique address. When someone accesses the site, the computer and the
 printer will negotiate to establish whether the printer has the capability
 to do the job required. If it has, the document is downloaded as a
 word-processor document and printed exactly as it would be by a printer
 connected directly to the computer. "IPP will kill fax by offering
 high-quality printing, low telephone charges and multiple copies.

 "It will also eliminate couriers, because documents printed over the
 Internet will be regarded as originals," said Don Wright of Lexmark, who
 is also chairman of the IPP committee.

 "Internet printing could also make things easier for authors and students
 who need small numbers of large volumes such as theses printed out."

 Technology.

 Copyright 1997 The New Straits Times Press (Malaysia) Berhad

 <<COMPUTIMES -- 11-27-97>>

 [11-27-97 at 18:48 EDT, Copyright 1997, COMPUTIMES, File: c1127130.2wn]

Entire contents (C) 1997 by INDIVIDUAL, Inc., 8 New England Executive Park
West, Burlington, MA  01803.

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 19:25:29 PST

> "IPP will kill fax by offering

I've been working on 'Requirements for Internet Fax'
(draft-ietf-fax-requirements-XX.txt in the Internet Drafts
directory, and a newer version at 
 ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/draft-ietf-fax-requirements-04bis.txt).

The requirements do not designate the protocol used -- it *could*
be IPP. However, it isn't clear how all of the requirements for Internet
Fax can be met by IPP. I'd like to understand better how IPP can be used
for the fax application, if it's really a serious option.

Larry
-- 
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 10:15:25 -0500

Don,

Some say that any press is better than no press, right?  ;-)

This statement, however, needs to be publicly debunked by
the IPP group so that public expectations don't blow up in
our faces:

>  The Internet printing protocol (IPP) will make
>  it possible to print out documents by locating its Web address
>  and simply pressing the "print" button.

There will be some implementations that might allow for this level
of simplicity, but doesn't it seem a bit dangerous for us to
let people think this will be the defacto norm?

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------