Subject: IPP> Re: SENSE> Time to shutdown the SENSE project?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:47:53 -0500

Jay Martin said:
>
>Harry Lewis wrote:
>
>> While there are many options that could become part of a notification
scheme
>> for print and printers, ranging from SNMPv3 to JAVA notification etc...
I
>> believe SENSE is definitely worthwhile considering.
>
>I appreciate your continued interest, Harry.  But I really believe
>that so much time has gone by that people will now be more interested
>in pursuing other mechanisms.
>
>Recall that Sense was started in November of 1995.  Technology has
>moved along quite a bit since then.  I have grown pretty tired of
>constantly analyzing "Sense vs. XYZ" as new approaches have come
>onto the scene.
>
>I really think it's time to just shut this effort down.
>
>    ...jay

I tend to agree with Jay...

While the technology of SENSE is very much worth considering, I
believe that rather than a stand-alone effort, SENSE or some parts of
it might be folded into another project.  There was a long, long
discussion of notification at the IPP meeting last week and there
was interest in investigating how some of the SENSE concepts and
work could be included.  I think this will be a hot topic for the
Austin IPP meeting.

Don

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************