Subject: RE: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking?

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:11:16 -0400

Peter-

>
> All,
> Regarding IPP testing experience with chunking/IPP.  I have not yet seen
> anyone that has tried this.  The tests I have been involved in, up to very
> recently, used HTTP 1.0.  This was due to the limitations of JDK.  I have
> not yet pursued the added complexity of chunking.  This is a function of
> IPP's underlying transport(HTTP 1.1).  I have been concentrating on the IPP
> PAD and method invocation.  I would love to hear anyone with some concrete
> experience with IPP and chunking.

We have experience with IPP and chunking.  IBM's Lotus Go Webserver replies
with a chunked response when sent a request header like this one:

 POST /servlet/IPPServlet HTTP/1.1
 Host: localhost
 Accept: application/ipp
 Content-type: application/ipp
 Content-length: 226

Also, we have interop tested with someone running the Microsoft web server.
It, too, seems to reply with chunked Transfer-Encoding.  I'm not positive about
that (don't have the traces here), but I am sure that it always sends a 100
Continue before that actual response, and I think that implies chunking

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:10:44 -0400

>>>>> "CK" == Carl Kugler <[email-masked]> writes:

CK> it always sends a 100 Continue before that actual response, and I
CK> think that implies chunking

  No, the only indication of chunking is the 'Transfer-Encoding:
  chunked' header field.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/