Subject: Re: IPP> Charter eyeglasses

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:04:36 -0400

Scott, I agree with your interpretation 100% and believe this is the only valid
interpretation. Otherwise, I think the overall charter would have been way too
limiting - even if this is where we ended up for v1. I put the emphasis there
to show how I think some must be reading the charter and the conclusions they
must have made.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

[email-masked] on 04/15/98 08:15:10 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@ibmus, [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc:
Subject: Re: IPP> Charter eyeglasses

Harry,

When I read:

>>> Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> 04/15/98 04:24PM >>>
>The Internet Print Protocol is a CLIENT-SERVER type protocol which
>should allow the server side to be either a separate print server or
>a printer with embedded networking capabilities.

I assume CLIENT/SERVER in the distributed systems architecture sense
NOT in the literal CLIENT = PC and SERVER = file server/printer server hardware
box sense.  I see client/server meaning request/response rather than distribute
object
remote methods, IIOP, RMI stuff.

In other workds, I am not confused into thinking end-user to file server only
(not server
to device) when I see the term "client/server"

Good reading of the charter thought, very helpful.

Scott

---

From: Robert Herriot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:40:52 -0700

I agree with  Scott's interpretation.  I think we chartered IPP to solve 
communication among clients, servers and printers, not just between end 
users and print servers.

I am concerned that SDP is a big mistake and will create yet another 
protocol, incompatible with all others including IPP. I think that it is 
reasonable to borrow ideas from other protocols, such as TIPSI, but I think 
we should continue along the IPP path we started.

If IPP is not a reasonable embedded solution, I wonder why we are just now 
hearing that, nearly a year after we decided on the encoding.  If IPP is 
really such a bad embedded solution, perhaps we should fix it before we all 
commit to supporting it and end up with support for both IPP and SDP.

Bob Herriot