Subject: IPP> ADM - BOF announcement: WASRV (Wide Area Service Location)

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]> (by way of Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:33:52 PST

This was announced to the IFAX group.

It might also be of interest to the IPP group.

Carl-Uno

---

FYI,

There will be a BOF at IETF 41 concerning Wide Area Service Location -

  There has been recent interest in mechanisms for discovery of services 
  across the global internet. Such interest has manifested itself in 
  numerous papers, standards proposals, and commercial tools. However, 
  what is meant by wide area service location seems to vary in all cases.
  The organizers of the WASRV BOF will advocate a set of architectural
  principals for a successful wide area service location system.  

  In brief, discovery should not require a priori knowledge or configuration
  to perform, should be based on attribute based search criteria and 
  allow rapid, scalable access to service information.  Services should
  be discoverable only when they are actually available and ideally 
  advertise themselves automatically.

  These principals will be discussed and proposals for solutions to 
  the wide area service location problem will be presented.  The goal
  of the BOF is to determine whether there is sufficient interest in 
  the problem, as we agree to define it, and whether the technical 
  proposals presented will arrive at a feasible technical solution.

  Please see http://www.bell-labs.com/mailing-lists/wasrv/ for a list
  of documents including "WASRV Architectural Principles" which describe
  in detail the issues believe a chartered WASRV WG in the Internet area 
  should address.

My apologies if you receive this announcement more than once.
The BOF is currently scheduled for 1530-1730 Thursday in the 
Avalon room (but check your schedules when you arrive for changes :-)

Erik Guttman
WASRV BOF Cochair

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik Guttman                        http://www.neato.org/~femur/eg.html  
Sun Microsystems                                   [email-masked]
SMCC Advanced Network Development                      +49 7263 911 700