Subject: IPP> Re: IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 08:55:03 +0100

Carl,

>> 1.     If an IPP-client transmit a request to the IPP-server and close
the
>>   tcp-connection, should the IPP-server open a new tcp-session and
transmit the
>>   esponse?

>Impossible.  The client isn't listening on a server port.

Well, maybe the IPP server doesn't know the state of the tcp-connection.
However, what
should the HTTP-stack on the printserver do when it receives the response
from the IPP-server
and the tcp-connection to the client is closed for some reasons. Should the
HTTP-stack open
a new tcp-connection to the client?

>> 2.     Must the IPP-server wait with the response, on a print-job
request, to
>>   the whole job is received?

>The server should respond to the request before accepting appended
document content.
>See 3.1.7 and 15.4 in the model document.

If the IPP-server rejects a 'print-job' request for some reasons, must the
server purge
the appended document? If the document is 10 Gbytes, the server has to
purge 10 Gbytes
data, what a waste of network traffic.

>> 3.     How should a non-spooling IPP-server handle concurrent print-job
>>   requests?

>Return server-error-service-unavailable (0x0502) to indicate that the
server is temporarily unable to >handle a request.

How should the client respond to this? Is it an error if the IPP-server is
printing and
a second 'print-job' occour? I don't think so!

___________________________________________________________
 Henrik Holst
 Software engineer - developing embedded Printservers
 i-data International
 Vadstrupvej 35-43, 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark
 Voice:  (45) 44366271
 Fax:    (45) 44366111
 Email:  [email-masked]
 WEB:    www.i-data.com