Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (by way of Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:42:48 PDT

FYI,

Carl-Uno

---

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Event Notification Protocol - ENP
	Author(s)	: S. Reddy, M. Fisher
	Filename	: draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 15-Jun-98
	
    As the complexity of distributed applications increases, an
    increasing amount of processing is done using distributed processes,
    which typically execute without the direct supervision of an end
    user. The user must poll these processes periodically to check if
    they are completed successfully or not. This polling results in
    unnecessary wastage of network bandwidth as well as computing
    resources. The user generally cannot see intermediate results or
    progress reports for long running processes, they must wait till the
    process is completely finished before viewing the results.
 
    Thus the problem of monitoring events is central in distributed
    applications and protocols. A repeated need in such applications is
    receive notifications when a resource property value changes or
    event state changes. Current database systems provides mechanisms
    like constraints, triggers and active database rules. These
    facilities provides an automated means to ensure the database
    integrity or perform specific action when data changes. Need for
    such kind of requirement is fundamental is network applications.
 
    Event Notification Protocol(ENP) abstracts the notification
    requirements from the applications. ENP provides a lean and mean
    protocol with a client side semantics for processing notifications.
    The goal of ENP is to provide a service which allows users to select
    resources or events for which they wish to be notified in case
    changes of property values or state values occur. The Event
    Notification Protocol will also allow users to define what events or
    state changes they are interested in.
 
    This document describes the Event Notification Protocol.  The
    objective is to provide a simple, scalable and highly efficient
    notification protocol while also providing the appropriate
    flexibility to meet the needs of both the internet and enterprise
    environments.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reddy-enp-protocol-00.txt>