Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:01:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Instantaneous Packet Delay Variation Metric for IPPM
	Author(s)	: C. Demichelis
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 09-Jul-98
	
This memo refers to a metric for variation in delay of packets across
Internet paths. The metric is based on statistics of  the  difference
in One-way Delay of consecutive packets.  This particular definition of
variation is called "Instantaneous Packet Delay Variation (ipdv)".

The metric is valid for measurements between two hosts both  in  the
case that they have synchronized clocks and in the case that they are
not synchronized. In the second case it allows an evaluation of the
relative skew. Measurements  performed on  both directions  (Two-ways
measurements)  allow  a better  estimation of clock  differences. The
precision  that can be obtained is  evaluated.

This memo is intended to have, as much as possible, the  structure of
the ippm draft on one-way delay metric.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.