Subject: Re: IPP> Does the world need a robust host-to-device network printing protocol?

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:09:05 PST

In reply to Randy Turner's:

> I'm curious how this host-to-device protocol for printing would differ
> from IPP 1.0?

Jay Martin wrote:

> Excellent question.  Right off the top of my head...

> For one thing, such a protocol would be one heck of a lot more
> efficient than IPP-over-HTTP.  Anytime you frame bulk data within
> a transaction protocol, you lose bigtime in terms of performance.

Now, there's a lot you might say about IPP-over-HTTP, but this one makes
little sense. HTTP is used for transmitting bulk data all the time. Admittedly,
most HTTP transactions are server-to-client rather than client-to-server for
bulk data, but there's not much asymmetric in the protocol itself.

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:54:05 -0500

> bulk data, but there's not much asymmetric in the protocol itself.

Yes, HTTP transmits bulk data all the time.  However, you are
ignoring the fact that HTTP has a much wider problem domain
than IPP.

HTTP needs the multi-part capability due to the problem domain.
A printing protocol does not. 

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------