Subject: IPP> New I-D for expressing "feature sets"

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:42:18 -0500

Negotiating capabilities/features is a pretty common thing
in client/server protocols, including IPP.  I'm forwarding
this in case anyone is interested.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-conneg-feature-algebra-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:48:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Content Negotiation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An algebra for describing media feature sets
	Author(s)	: G. Klyne
	Filename	: draft-ietf-conneg-feature-algebra-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 11-Mar-98
	
    A number of Internet application protocols have a need to provide
  content negotiation for the resources with which they interact [1].
  A framework for such negotiation is described in [2].  Part of this
  framework is a way to describe the range of media features which
  can be handled by the sender, recipient or document transmission
  format of a message.  A format for a vocabulary of individual media
  features and procedures for registering media features are
  presented in [3].
 
  This document describes an algebra which can be used to define
  feature sets which are formed from combinations and relations
  involving individual media features.  Such feature sets are used to
  describe the media feature handling capabilities of message
  senders, recipients and file formats. This document does not set
  out to specify a syntax for defining feature sets.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-conneg-feature-algebra-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conneg-feature-algebra-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conneg-feature-algebra-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.