Subject: IPP> Re: IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:56:35 -0500

Henrik-

> Should the HTTP-stack open a new tcp-connection to the client?

How could it?  It can't connect() because the client isn't listen()ing.

> If the IPP-server rejects a 'print-job' request for some reasons, must the
> server purge the appended document? If the document is 10 Gbytes, the server
> has to purge 10 Gbytes data, what a waste of network traffic.

Exactly. That's the reason why the server should respond to the request
*before* accepting appended document content.  The client SHOULD listen for a
response while it is transmitting the document data and abort the transmission
if the request was rejected.

>>Return server-error-service-unavailable (0x0502) to indicate that the
>>server is temporarily unable to handle a request.
> How should the client respond to this?

server-error-service-unavailable (0x0502) implies a temporary condition which
will be alleviated after some delay. If known, the length of the delay may be
indicated in the message.  So the client should retry after delaying.

  -Carl

[email-masked] on 02/03/98 08:55:38 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet, Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM@ibmus
cc:
Subject: Re: IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

Carl,

>> 1.     If an IPP-client transmit a request to the IPP-server and close
the
>>   tcp-connection, should the IPP-server open a new tcp-session and
transmit the
>>   esponse?

>Impossible.  The client isn't listening on a server port.

Well, maybe the IPP server doesn't know the state of the tcp-connection