Subject: IPP> Minutes of 3/11/98 telephone conference

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:56:32 -0500

Minutes of 3/11 Telephone Conference

Attending: Carl-Uno Manros, Tom Hastings, Pete Zahler, Roger deBry,
Scott Isaacson, Jay Martin, Ira MacDonald, Randy Turner

1. Carl-Uno said that Don Wright cannot continue as secretary for IPP
telephone conference calls.  Carl-Uno will find someone to replace Don.

2. Paul Moore had said he would try to get the requirements document
     from Microsoft on UDP. He has subsequently said that a formal
    requirements document does not exist.

3. Randy is working on a proposal for host-to-device. He said he will have
    a document ready by the end of this week. There was some discussion
    whether or not host-to-device was an IETF issue. Carl-Uno wants to be
    sure that it is posted as a personl contribution at this point, since there
    has been no review by the working group. Randy's document
    will include:
        - an abstraction of transport layer
        - mapping of IPP to TCP/IP
        - discussion on notifications

4. Don was to provide documentation on TIPSI elements that would apply
    to a host-to-device protocol. Nothing reported yet.

5. Tom and Scott to work on MIB attributes that would be aappropriate for
     host-to-device protocols. Nothing done to date.

6. Some discussion was held on Randy's recent submission on DHCP option
     for IPP. Randy said that it was supposed to have been a personal submission
     and not an IPP workgroup submission. Randy said that this was required for
     his host-to-device proposal and he wanted it to be on the IETF standards
     track.

7. Brief discussion of Pete Zahler's testing work. Pete said that he is working
on
     getting a printer on the network for testing and is working on updates for
the
     test plan document

8. Discussion of Notification work items - Requirements document has been
     updated and submitted. Scott and Harry have posted presentation material
     to the ftp site.  Tom asked whether or not anyone had considered datagrams
     for notifications. Ira said that there was some issues with SNMP Notify.

9. Carl-Uno said that he wants to find a "Champion" for each of the
notification and
     host-to-device work items. He will work on this.

10. Scott is having ongoing discussions with IPP mapping to SLP and driving this
      with the SLP people.

11. Discussed the need to define a new error code and words to go with it on
      printer busy condition. Randy has posted a discussion to the FTP site and
     said that he will write up the text for the Model document.

12. Dictionary attributes - Tom and Roger will work on this with the goal of
having
      a proposal for the enxt PWG meeting.

13. Carl Uno asked if anyone wanted to work with Tom on Document attributes.
      No one offered.

14. An old homework item was discussed - the registration of mime types with
IANA.
       No specific action item was taken.

15. There was some discussion of Tom's proposal for early binding of default
      attributes.  The consensus seemd to be that this was not just a small
change
      to the Model document.  The possibility of having some vendor(s) do this
      as a private extension was discussed.

16. Carl-uno is looking for someone to be the editor of an "Implementor's
Guide."

17.  There was soem discussion on UDP, but no one felt that they understood
        what follow-on activities were planned.  UDP should be a separate
working
       group from IPP.

18. Reminder that the next IPP face to face meeting is April 8-9 in Portland.
Roger K deBry
Senior Technical Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080