Subject: IPP> ? on IPP direction concerning XML

From: Frank Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:06:04 -0600

IPP Subgroup,
I'm trying to understand the article "Microsoft, HP Reverse Course on 
Internet Printing Protocol" March 98 Hardcopy Observer.  The article 
states that "A meeting of the IPP subgroup during the week of March 2 
in Austin, TX should shed more light on these issues".  I have looked 
at the Minutes of the Austin IPP meeting (March 98) and didn't find 
any mention of a discussion.

I'm new to the IPP group.
So, would someone point me to the correct place?

Thanks
	Frank Mason

Frank I. Mason
[email-masked]
http://www.extendsys.com
Extended Systems Inc.
5777 N. Meeker Ave.
Boise,  ID    83713
208.322.7575 (voice)

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:03:14 PDT

The short answer is: Don't believe everything you read in the press.

Representatives from Microsoft and HP have declared on this DL that they
are implementing what the final decision from the IESG will be.

Unfortunately, the IESG is dragging their feet with a proper feedback to
this WG (they have had our final drafts since early February).

So, we do not know the final outcome for sure, but you can rely on
everybody implementing the same standard once it is frozen.

Carl-Uno

>So, would someone point me to the correct place?
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:32:31 -0400

Frank Mason said:

<snip>

Quotes from March issue of THE HARD COPY  OBSERVER:
------------------------------------------------------
"At the January meeting of the IPP in Maui, Hawaii, Microsoft (with
Hewlett-Packard's support) said it would OPPOSE the current draft
standard if the group did not stop the process to consider the
change."

>FDW> True, I was there.  The definition of "OPPOSE" is yet to be
>FDW> determined but my memory was they said they would oppose it
>FDW> WITHIN the IETF process.  Subsequently, they have stated they
>FDW> will comply with whatever comes out of the process.
"Any printing standard that does not have the combined blessing of
these two industry giants would be doomed from the start" IPP Member
Jay Martin from Underscore

>FDW> Jay's opinion and I agree
"XML-based Internet Printing Solution could compromise the ability of
developers to create lightweight implementations of IPP" IPP subgroup
member David Kellerman from Northlake SW

>FDW> David's opinion and I agree
"Although members are skeptical about the XML proposal, most feel a
reluctance and futility about opposing Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard"

>FDW> True, witness the "wide-spread" adoption of IEEE Std 1284.1

-------------------------------------------------------

Oh, well.  We might not like it but reality can be ugly at time.

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************