Subject: IPP> More requirements

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:04:37 -0500

Some additional  requirements  in <RKD>

              SOME REQUIREMENTS FOR NOTIFICATION.
            (end-user perspective, NOT administrator)

     1) User/client submits a job, and can not wait for confirmation. Might
     be on travel or has more important business. Might have to go
     off-line. (Client workstation from where the job was submitted might
     be off).  Perhaps the queue is long, or there are many large jobs
     pending.

     Here, the user simply wants to know, with high probability, if the job
     has completed, but not in real time.

<RKD> If the user is mobile and has to disconnect, might want to see
<RKD> all notifications when he/she re-connects to the network.
<RKD> notifications are queued someplace. Email seems best suited.

<RKD> User might want someone else (for example a secretary) to get
<RKD> notifications. For example "put this in the mail for me when
<RKD> it gets printed." Other person may be in a different authorization
<RKD> domain. For example "I am printing something on a printer
<RKD> in your office, you will get the notification when it is done so
<RKD> you can go and pick it up."

     2) User wants confirmation as soon as print is complete. User will
     wait for confirmation. Queue may be small and no large jobs pending.
     Presumably job is not huge.

     3) User wants confirmation as soon as print is complete, but printer
     is being heavily used as determined by queue and pending job sizes