Subject: IPP> PRO - Use of TLS in IPP

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:05:20 PST

Keith has at long last put something down in writing which describes in
clear language what he suggests to be the actual solution for IPP.

The following, shortened, paragraphs are taken from his latest message:

+ IPP servers listening on port 443 should assume TLS/SSL will
  be used when the connection is opened.
  IPP clients should use "https:", without overriding the port #,
  to indicate they want to talk to an IPP server on port 443.

+ IPP servers listening on other ports should assume that neither TLS
  nor SSL is used when the connection is established.

This seems good enough to me. Any objections to include this text in a
suitable place in one of our documents? I assume that the right place is in
the Protocol document?

I do not suggest that we now try to start defining our own ipp://... scheme
for IPP Version 1.0, which Keith outlined as a possible further option.

Comments please?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]