Subject: IPP> PRO - My last call comments on the Protocol document

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:11:42 PST

Subj:	Last Call Protocol Comments from T. Hastings
From:	Tom Hastings
Date:	11/25/97
File:	ipp-pro-last-call-comments-th.doc

1. Section 3.2, 3.6.1, 3.8:  Remove "job-" from the
"unsupported-job-attributes-tag", so that other kinds of unsupported
attributes can be returned in the same group and align with the 11/7/97
Model document.

2. Section 3.6.1, 3.8:  The "data-tag" corresponds to the "Document
Content" group in the Model document, sort of.  In the protocol, the
"data-tag" is also an "end of operation tag and is required in all
operations and has to be last.  Section 3.8 indicates that the "data-tag"
corresponds to the "document-content" attribute which no longer exists in
the Model document.  Should be changed to the "Document Content group".
Section 3.8 lists an issue to coordinate with the Model document. 

3. Section 3.6.1: The protocol document needs to require the client and
server to ignore delimiter tags and the following contents that are
reserved for the future (0x06-j0x0f).

4. Section 3.6.1:   Change "that the zero" to "that zero".

5. Section 3.6.2, second sentence:  Change "is the that" to "is that".

6. Section 3.6.2, second sentence:  Change the second occurrence of "type"
to "attribute syntax" to agree with the terminology in the Model document.

7. Section 3.6.2, second sentence:  add to the end of the sentence: "as
specified in the Model document for the attribute", so that the sentence
reads:  " If the value-tag specifies a type of compoundValue, it represents
a compound value whose attribute syntax is that of the last member of the
compound value as specified in the Model document for the attribute."

8. Section 3.10: CompoundValue: Similarly change the description from:  "If
the value of a compoundValue is n, then the n following values of the
attribute form a single value whose type is that of the last member of the
compound value." to: " If the value of a compoundValue is n, then the n
following values of the attribute form a single value whose attribute
syntax is that of the last member of the compound value as specified in the
Model document for the attribute."

9. Section 3.10: dateTime:  Remove the sentence: "Although RFC 1903 also
defines an eight octet format which omits the time zone, a value of this
type in the IPP protocol MUST use the eleven octet format. [ transfer to
model]."  Its already in the Model document, 11/7/97.

10. Section 10.7, Get-Jobs response:  The Printer is returning no
information about job 2, is the job-attributes-tag REQUIRED?  Or MAY a
Printer object omit the job-attributes-tag for any job that it is not
returning, perhaps for security reasons.  The answer ought to go in the
Model document.

11. Section 12, Appendix C: "Hints to implementors using IPP with SSL3".
May need some re-wording now that we are requiring TLS.