Subject: IPP> ADM - Trouble with references

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 10:57:15 PDT

All,

One of the things I discovered during last week's IETF meeting in LA is
that we are in trouble with a couple of our references in the IPP drafts.
This means that even if we get past the IESG review, we will have trouble
when documents arrive at the RFC editor's desk.

Here are the problem children:

RFC2234 	ABNF, although this is an RFC officially on the standards track,
            Dave Crocker who is the editor, indicated that there are still
a                                            couple of minor editorial
changes to fix. He will do those ASAP.

TLS		TLS has been accepted by the IESG, but they have a reference problem
              with PKIX, which still has to be resolved. The quick fix will
be                                                         to change PKIX
to X.509 as reference. The editors are working on
  this change.

URI		The URI draft has not matured to the standards track. There are some
              serious problems to resolve, which may take considerable
time. The
              advice from Larry Masinter, who is the editor, seems to be to go
              back to using URL where ever we use URI (which would also
mean                                           changing a number of
attribute names!).

Sigh :-(

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:18:29 -0700

URI		The URI draft has not matured to the standards
track. There are some
	              serious problems to resolve, which may take
considerable
	time. The
	              advice from Larry Masinter, who is the editor, seems
to be to go
	              back to using URL where ever we use URI (which would
also
	mean                                           changing a number of
	attribute names!).

Which changes the wire representation! This is not just a documentation
issue.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Carl-Uno Manros [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, April 06, 1998 10:57 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	IPP> ADM - Trouble with references
> 
> All,
>