Subject: IPP> MOD - Updated 'dictionary' attribute syntax proposal posted

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:32:50 PST

I've posted an updated proposal for a new 'dictionary' attribute syntax.

As agreed at last weeks telecon, I've gone back to the original proposal
that introduces a new 'dictionary' attribute syntax.  There was 
implementation experience that parallel attributes is difficult for
clients and servers.  

The consensus was that with the 'dictionary' attribute syntax
that some maximum length, like 2047 octets, would be sufficient and there
there was no need to have a way to provide for bigger dictionaries.
We agreed that we are not trying to solve the dictionary problem for all 
applications, only for printing.

I've also used "job-notify" examples of a dictionary that needs multiple
valued attributes in the dictionary.  This is only an example, not Harry's
and my action item on notification.  But it does show how the 'dictionary'
mechanism will be useful for specifying notification when submitting a
job.

The files are at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-dict-attr-syntax-v092.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-dict-attr-syntax-v092.pdf

The PDF has line numbers.

I'd like to put review of this proposal on the agenda for next week.
Also lets start the discussion via e-mail.

Thanks,
Tom