Subject: Re: IPP>MOD - Must charset and natural-language always be sent?

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:12:13 -0700

Yes they will always be sent. See the notes from the 10/29/97 IPP meetings
and see the new
document that will come out in the next few days.

Scott

>>> Rick Yardumian <[email-masked]> 10/30 2:40 PM >>>
The latest model spec states that the attributes "attributes-charset" and
"attributes-natural-language" are MANDATORY. Does this mean that they must
be sent by the client even when the client does not send any text and/or
name type attributes?  Up until now, none of the IPP request operations had
required attributes.  I don't have an opinion one way or the other but I was
assuming that some companies were pushing for no mandatory attributes on
requests.

Rick
______________________________________________________________________
Rick Yardumian
Xerox Corporation    Voice: (310) 333-8303 / 8*823-8303
Corporate Research & Technology Fax: (310) 333-6342 / 8*823-6342
701 S. Aviation Blvd, ESAE-242 Email: [email-masked] 
El Segundo, CA 90245
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:24:15 PST

Rick,

To further amplify Scott's reply:
The reason why the client MUST always send the attributes-natural-language
and attributes-charset, even though the client is NOT submittig any
'text' and 'name' attributes, is that the Printer object may be returning
a 'text' and/or a 'name' attribute in the response, such as job-state-message
or may be returning a Error Message, in case the request is rejected.
So the Printer object needs to know what language and charset to use
in the response.

Also (in the future) when we get notification, it will be important for 
the notification to know what language and charset to use for the 
notification, so that the values passed in by the client MUST be stored
with the job.  Storing the values also helps when other clients
(who may be in different locales) query the job.

Tom