Subject: IPP> Proposal for new IPP scheme

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:40:21 -0400

Bob Herriot said:

>Actually the default port never hits the wire either.  Both the default
port
>and the ipp scheme-name are smoke and mirrors on the client which give the
>illusion of an ipp scheme.
>
>On the wire there is nothing but http with default port 80.

Oh, Bob, I disagree.  The port does hit the wire one way or another.  While
the protocol encoding does not contain the port being used, what precedes
the exchange of data does use a specific port (374 in Randy's and Larry's
example)

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

---

From: Robert Herriot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:31:17 -0700

I agree that the port hits the wire, but there is nothing on the wire that
identifies it as
a default port. I think that we all agreed to this in today's teleconference.

Bob Herriot