Subject: IPP> Re: SENSE> Time to shutdown the SENSE project?

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:52:00 -0500

Ron Bergman wrote:

> I would hope that before SENSE is shutdown that it is determined if this
> technology is applicable to IPP.  As you see by the email and minutes of
> the Maui meeting, the issue of notifications is becoming a very hot topic.
> The SENSE work and the knowledge you obtained should certainly be of
> significant benefit to IPP.

Ron, what would you suggest I do at this point to help describe
how SENSE can be used for IPP?  I have repeatedly requested folks
to read the SENSE documentation, yet very few people have come back
saying that agree/disagree on even the basic Proposed Requirements
document.

I guess I'm kind of at a loss at how to proceed.  (You know, you
can lead a horse to water, but you can't...)

It appears to me that the folks on the IPP list are taking somewhat
of a "fundamental research" technique in approaching async event
notifications for IPP.  Rather than examining an existing system
(defined for that kind of operation) and seeing how it can be used
to solve their particular problem, they appear to instead want to
focus on the basics (eg, transports, etc) and work up from there,
teaching themselves how to build a system from scratch in the
process.

I think that would be a shame, but if that's what it's going to
take for people to understand the how's and why's of where we
ended up with SENSE, then so be it.

I just hope it doesn't take too long, that's all...  8-)

If there's anything you (or anyone else) can do to help guide me
in explaining how SENSE can be used to solve IPP's event
notification problem, I am all ears.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------