Subject: IPP> ADM - FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:06:21 PDT

The CONNEG group has produced a new draft on media. This includes a
suggested identification scheme for media such as paper media in a
printer. 

We need to look at this and give our feedback.

Carl-Uno

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 6:47 AM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Content Negotiation Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Media Feature Tag Registration Procedure
	Author(s)	: T. Hardie, K. Holtman, A. Mutz
	Filename	: draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 28-Jul-98
	
  Recent Internet applications, such as the World Wide Web, tie
  together a great diversity in data formats, client and server
  platforms, and communities.  This has created a need for media
  feature descriptions and negotiation mechanisms in order to identify
  and reconcile the form of information to the capabilities and
  preferences of the parties involved.
 
  Extensible media feature identification and negotiation mechanisms
  require a common vocabulary in order to positively identify media
  features.  A registration process and authority for media features
  is defined with the intent of sharing this vocabulary between
  communicating parties. In addition, a URI tree is defined to enable
  sharing of media feature definitions without registration.
 
  This document defines a registration procedure which uses the
  Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) as a central registry for
  the media feature vocabulary.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conneg-feature-reg-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:58:48 -0700