Subject: Re: IPP> Attributes

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:42:00 -0700

As I went back and re-read this it did sound a little confusing.  I'll see
if I can fix it up a bit.  Let's see if I can summarize here:

1. The status code is sent back in a special place in the header of the
response.  It is not an operation attribute.

2. The OPTIONAL (for an IPP object to return in the response) status message
is an operation attribute ("status-message" (text)) that is returned in the
operation attributes group.

3. In each of the Response sections where I say "Status Code and Message" I
will change that to just Status Message (and still point back to 3.1.4) to
describe the semantics of a status code vs a status message and their
relationship.  Each of the individual operations will not talk about where
or how the status code is returned (that is a protocol spec issue).

4. The newly added 15.3.3.3 shows that "status-message" is an operation
attribute but the status code is not.  That section will stay the same.

Scott

>>> "steve gebert Dept:ecg SN:579517 Div:ISM Ext" <[email-masked]> 12/16
9:47 AM >>>
Perhaps someone can clear up a confusion I have here. In the model
document I find "Status-Code" under section 3.2.1.2 Print-Job Response
given as being in Group 1, an Operation Attribute. However, in the
protocol document "Status-Code" is treated as a distinct entity. It
is not treated as an Operation Attribute, as it is transmitted before
an operation-attribute tag (this tag signifying the beginning of all
operation attributes). There seems to be a contradiction here.
Can someone explain this to me. Thanks, Steve Gebert

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:00:40 -0800

Section 3.9 lists the operation attributes that are treated specially
in the protocol.  Status-code is one of them. I have added some language
in section 3.5 of the protocol document which notes this exception.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Bob Herriot

> From [email-masked] Tue Dec 16 09:09:58 1997
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 09:47:20 MST
> From: "steve gebert Dept:ecg SN:579517 Div:ISM Ext" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: IPP> Attributes
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Content-Length: 528
> X-Lines: 8
>