Subject: Re: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking ? Was

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:43:16 -0400

I think whoever wrote

> Encoding is HTTP independent except for chinking.

should elaborate on what they meant.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:13:08 -0400

I don't know how to draw the picture "extracting-foot-from-mouth" in ASCII
text...

In reviewing the IPP minutes, I realize the source of the "chinking"
statement... it was my own raw notes of the Portland meeting which I sent to
Carl-Uno!

This was an attempt, on my part, to capture the list of Paul Moore's concerns
with IPP as we were discussing them in the "Server-to-Device" session. Pardon
the typo... but I may also have inserted confusion regarding the whole topic by
poorly capturing the initial concern. I tried to find Paul's original list and
get his language, but I can't fine it.

In general, we have an IPP model which is DEFINITELY transport and protocol
independent. Then we have an IPP protocol document which is really made up of
two parts, an ENCODING and a TRANSPORT. I BELIEVE the ENCODING is ALSO meant to
be entirely transport independent. The published transport mapping is OBVIOUSLY
transport dependent, because it represents a CHOICE to map to a particular
transport. It should not, however, give the impression that the encoding is
somehow bound to that transport - ONLY! I believe the goal, all along, was to
anticipate mappings to additional transports. We just had to pick one to get
the job done and we picked the one we thought would best scope the Internet at
this point in time.

So, again, I'm not sure what Paul's original concern was but it had something
to do with his impression that IPP is not transport neutral. My guess is that
Paul was trying to state his desire to have a printing protocol which runs over
networks, local ports etc.

[email-masked] on 04/15/98 10:39:59 AM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
cc:
Subject: Re: IPP> IPP, independently of HTTP, Requires Chunking ? Was

I think whoever wrote