Subject: IPP>MOD Status code for URI's too long?

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:11:20 -0400

P.S.  My preference would be to always return
'client-error-request-uri-too-long' for any 'uri' that fails the length check.
That way, the checking can be done in a lower layer that understands attributes
syntaxes but not specific  attributes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the case of an unknown or unsupported attribute with 'uri' syntax that fails
the length (<= 1023) check, does the Printer return
'client-error-request-uri-too-long' or 'client-error-bad-request'?  Reading
section 15.3, I get the impression that the 'client-error-request-uri-too-long'
only applies to the "document-uri" attribute.  And in the particular case of

unknown or unsupported attribute
IF the attribute syntax supplied by the client is supported but the length is
not legal for that attribute syntax, REJECT/RETURN 'client-error-bad-request'.

  -Carl

---

From: Robert Herriot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 12:46:11 -0700

I think that we are in agreement per my previous email
except for  the error message.

An error message that says bad length is more useful that
'client-error-bad-request',

but if we do this for uri's, why don't we do it for other types,
especially text and name

types where the length can also be exceeded easily?

Bob Herriot