Subject: IPP> ADM - Minutes of the IPP telecon, Wed, 11/19/97

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:53:54 PST

We've posted the minutes of the IPP 11/19/97 telecon at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ipp-telecon-minutes-97-11-19.doc 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ipp-telecon-minutes-97-11-19.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ipp-telecon-minutes-97-11-19.txt

(Putting the data in Big Endian order in the file names makes them sort by 
increasing date in directory listings).

Attached is the .txt version as well.

Calr-Uno and Tom

Minutes from PWG IPP Phone Conference 971119

1.   Attending:
  Roger deBry
  Lee Farrell
  Tom Hastings
  Bob Herriot
  Harry Lewis
  Carl-Uno Manros
  Ira McDonald
  Xavier Riley
  Randy Turner
  Peter Zehler
  Steve Zilles

The following subjects were discussed.

2.   Game plan for finalizing the IPP Model & Semantics and
Protocol Specification documents

a. Close of Last Call comments, Tuesday, November 25

b. PWG Phone Conference, November 26:  summarize the Last
Call comments.

c. Rest of Thanksgiving week and the beginning of 12/1
  week:  work on resolutions to comments in preparation for
  IPP LA meeting, 12/3.

d. PWG IPP meeting in LA, December 3:  discuss and agree
on resolutions to WG last call comments.  Prepare for IETF
meeting in Washington DC the following week.

e. IETF IPP meeting in Washington DC, December 10 or 11:
present Last Call results and suggested resolutions.

f. Second half of December:  final editing and submission
  to the IESG.

3.   Status of the Rationale document

Steve Zilles will be able to make the agreed updates (mostly
resynchronization with the latest versions of Model and
Protocol documents) to this and have it sent as an Internet-
Draft to the IETF secretariat before the IETF Washington DC
deadline on Friday, November 21, 5:00 PM EST (2:00 PM PST).

ACTION ITEM:  Carl-Uno will issue a WG Last Call, when the
document is available from IETF.

4.   Write up of security discussion from last week

Randy is still working on some text to reflect our previous
discussion on security  implications due to changes in the
latest TLS spec.  He will call Scott for help on which
section (3.1.5 or 8) in the Model document to update.

ACTION ITEM:  Randy expects to have it out this week to the
DL as part of the Last Call comments.

5.   MIME type definition for application/ipp

There might be a need to update our current description to
allow application/ipp to be sent over ESMTP.  We may need to
allow the Model attributes that are transmitted as HTTP
headers to be in the body when using ESMTP.

ACTION ITEM:  Ira will look into this further.

6.   Suggestion for improved text on operation processing
procedures (section 15.3 in the Model document)

The contribution from Tom, Bob, and Scott on validation of
attributes in operations was briefly reviewed and discussed.
It was agreed not to add new response group, but instead to
return unsupported Operation attributes and Job Template
attributes in the same Unsupported Attributes group.  The
response group will be renamed in the protocol document to
remove the word "job" from the name (and to agree with the
Model document).  As a consequence, we agreed that the names
of Operation attributes and Job Template attributes shall be
unique, i.e., the same name will not be used for an
Operation attribute and a Job Template attribute.  The same
name can be used for Operation attributes and Job
Description attributes when the Operation attribute is being
supplied to initialize the Job Description attribute.

ACTION ITEM:  Tom, Bob, and Scott will make a couple of
revisions and re-issue the proposal to the DL as part of the
Last Call comments.

7.   Discussion about length boundaries for text strings
(from recent DL discussion)

Everybody seemed to agree that we want to have maximum
lengths for all attribute syntaxes (see section 4.1 in the
Model document), including the 'uri' attribute syntax, even
if HTTP has not set such limits (pointed out by Larry
Masinter).  We have to make it explicit what the lengths
mean and whether they apply to server, client or both.  We
reaffirmed that IPP is intended to be implemented by low-end
printers that don't spool, as well as devices and servers
that do spool.  Therefore, these length conformance
requirements need to be carefully reviewed as part of the WG
last call.

We reaffirmed that the maximums for read-write attributes
required a conforming IPP object to support the full maximum
length without truncation.  There was concern that the
current maximum for the 'text' attribute syntax of 4095
octets was too large.  A maximum of 1023 was suggested, but
no consensus was reached.  The only read-write 'text'
attribute is the 'message' Operation attribute in the Cancel-
Job operation.  However, since this Operation attribute is
OPTIONAL for an IPP object to support, a conforming IPP
object SHALL ignore the attribute if it is not supported.
But the IPP object SHALL accept the maximum length without
truncation if the "message" attribute is supported.

There was also agreement that the maximum length for read-
only attributes NEED NOT be supported by conforming IPP
objects.  Read-only attributes are ones set by the
implementation and/or the system administrator when
configuring the system.  The entire list is: "status-
message" OPTIONALLY returned in a response, "job-state-
message", "job-message-from-operator", "printer-location",
"printer-info", "printer-make-and-model", and "printer-state-
message".  Support for all of these read-only attributes is
OPTIONAL for as IPP object.  However, when they are
supported, we agreed that the Model document needs to agree
on minimums that MUST be supported for these read-only
attributes.  It was suggested that the minimums should agree
with the Job Monitoring MIB.

ACTION ITEM:  Tom to draft a proposal for the maximums for
those attribute syntaxes that don't have a maximum and for
minimums for all attribute syntaxes discussion on the DL as
part of the last call comments.

8.   Changes to the Model and Protocol documents since
Boulder

It was suggested that the list of changes to the Model and
Protocol documents be reviewed at the LA meeting, just to re-
confirm agreement on the changes.

ACTION ITEM:  Tom to review the changes that were in Scott's
e-mail announcement of the posting of the Model document for
completeness and send out the list of changes this week to
help Last Call review and for the LA meeting.

9.   Next Telecon, Wed, 11/26

It was agreed to run a phone conference next week from 1-3
PM PST (4-6 EDT), even though this is close to Thanksgiving,
considering that the Last Call closes on Tuesday and we want
to see what needs to be done in the way of preparation for
the PWG IPP LA meeting.

Note Takers, Carl-Uno Manros and Tom Hastings