Subject: IPP> PSX - Posted new draft of IPP PSX (23 Sept 2006)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 18:13:08 -0700

Hi folks,                                   Saturday (23 September 2006)

I've just posted a second draft of the PWG IPP Printer State Extensions
(PSX) specification on the PWG FTP server at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20060923.htm
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20060923.pdf

This draft is a major rewrite to capture the recent IPP WG concensus on
design alternatives:

(a) New values for the "printer-state-reasons" attribute for device
    alerts already defined in the 'PrtAlertCodeTC' textual convention;

(b) New values for both the "printer-state-reasons" attribute and the
    'PrtAlertCodeTC' textual convention for finishing subunit alerts;

(c) New attribute "printer-alert (1setOf octetString(MAX))" - to encode
    all the machine-readable columnar objects from 'prtAlertTable';

(d) New attribute "printer-alert-description (1setOf text(MAX))" - to
    encode the localized 'prtAlertDescription' columnar object.

For immediate review, comment on the IPP WG mailing list ([email-masked]),
and discussion at next IPP WG Telecon on Thursday 28 September 11am EDT.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Change Log]

23 September 2006 (v0.20)
- Changed document status from 'Initial' to 'Interim', per PWG
  Process/2.0;
- Renamed document from 'IPP Printer State Reasons Extensions' to
  'IPP Printer State Extensions' (new state attributes are defined);
- Renamed section 1.1 from 'Background' to 'Problem Statement' for
  better alignment with project charter.
- Added formal definitions of 'IPP Client', 'IPP Printer', 'Printer MIB
  Agent', and 'Printer MIB Client' protocol roles to section 2.2
  'Printing Terminology', for unambiguous conformance requirements;
- Revised section 4 'Requirements' to align with new design requirements
  and preferred design alternatives, per concensus of IPP WG;
- Renamed section 5 from 'IPP Printer Attribute Extensions' to
  'IPP Printer Attributes' (new attributes are defined);
- Renamed section 6 from 'IANA Printer MIB Extensions' to
  'IANA Printer MIB Textual Conventions' (no new objects are defined);
- Deleted section 5.1.1 'Severity Suffixes DEPRECATED' and replaced with
  new section 5.1.1 'Severity Suffixes Interoperability', per comments
  from Ted Tronson (Novell) and Michael Sweet (Easy Software);
- Added section 5.1.4 'New Printer State Reasons for Finishing Subunits'
  that points to section 6.1.1 'New Alert Codes for Finishing Subunits'
- Deleted section 5.2 'printer-state-message(text(MAX))' and replaced
  with new section 5.2 'printer-alert(1setOf octetString(MAX))',
  per concensus of IPP WG;
- Deleted redundant prefix 'alert-' from all keywords defined for use in
  "printer-alert" in section 5.2, e.g., changing 'alert-code' to 'code'
  (no longer overloading general attribute "printer-state-message");
- Added new section 5.3 'printer-alert-description (1setOf text(MAX))',
  per concensus of IPP WG;
- Deleted section 6.1 'PrtAlertGroupTC' and replaced with new section
  6.1 'PrtAlertCodeTC', per concensus of IPP WG;
- Deleted section 6.1.1 'New Alert Groups for Finishing Subunits' and
  replaced with new section 6.1.1 'New Alert Codes for Finishing
  Subunits', per concensus of IPP WG;
- Revised section 9 'Internationalization Considerations' to reflect
  new "printer-alert-description" attribute;
- Added new section 'Appendix A - Design Alternatives (Informative)', to
  document the evolution of IPP WG concensus (i.e., the road not taken);

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.8/455 - Release Date: 9/22/2006