Subject: RE: IPP> Teleconference call minutes [mailto: notification methods]

From: "Hastings, Tom N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:31:25 -0800

Ira wrote:

The lack of standards-track email notification is unfortunate,
because it's the ubiquitous proprietary notification method
supported by the majority of network printers.

I have a .doc file for an Internet-Draft for a standard track IETF
document.  Does someone want to turn that into an IEEE-ISTO draft
standard?

Here is the start of it:

Internet Printing Protocol WG                             Robert Herriot
INTERNET-DRAFT                                              Tom Hastings
<draft-ietf-ipp-notify-mailto-04.txt>                    Carl-Uno Manros
Updates:  RFC 2911                                           Xerox Corp.
[Target Category:  standards track]                         Henrik Holst
Expires:  January 17, 2002                      i-data international a/s
                                                           July 17, 2001

                     Internet Printing Protocol (IPP):
           The 'mailto' Delivery Method for Event Notifications

      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2000). All Rights Reserved.
Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of [RFC2026].  Internet-Drafts are
   working documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its
   areas, and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also
   distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress".

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed as
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

   This document describes an extension to the Internet Printing
   Protocol/1.0 (IPP) [RFC2566, RFC2565] and IPP/1.1 [RFC2911, RFC2910].
   This document specifies the 'mailto' Delivery Method for use with the
   "IPP Event Notifications and Subscriptions" specification [ipp-ntfy].
   When IPP Notification [ipp-ntfy] is supported, the Delivery Method
   defined in this document is one of the RECOMMENDED Delivery Methods
   for Printers to support.

   For this Delivery Method, when an Event occurs, the Printer
   immediately sends an Event Notification via an email message to the
   Notification Recipient specified in the Subscription Object.  The
   message body of the email consists of Human Consumable text that is
   not intended to be parsed by a machine.  The Notification Recipient
   receives the Event Notification in the same way as it receives any
   other email message.

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ira
McDonald
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 15:52
To: Michael R Sweet; Ira McDonald
Cc: Whittle, Craig; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPP> Teleconference call minutes

Hi Mike,

Yes - notification by polling means ippget.

The lack of standards-track email notification is unfortunate,
because it's the ubiquitous proprietary notification method
supported by the majority of network printers.

Cheers,
- Ira

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Michael R Sweet <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> Whittle, Craig wrote:
>  > All:
>  >
>  > The minutes from this week's teleconference call can be found at:
>  >
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-minutes/IPPv2-ConCall-Minutes-200802
>  > 21.pdf
>
>  Comments (and hopefully I'll be able to "attend" next week's
telecon):
>
>   > Need to find out what is in CUPS 1.3 and what will be in CUPS 1.4.
>
>  CUPS 1.3:
>
>
>
http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/branches/branch-1.3/doc/help/spec-ipp.
html
>
>  CUPS 1.4:
>
>      http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/trunk/doc/help/spec-ipp.html
>
>  Right now the only difference between 1.3 and 1.4 is the addition of
>  a new CUPS-specific "get document" operation.
>
>   > Notification by polling should be considered.  E-mail notification
>   > is dead as an IPP specification.
>
>  Presumably polling == ippget/RFC 3996?
>
>  --
>
______________________________________________________________________
>  Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System
Engineer

-- 
Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: [email-masked]
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

---

From: "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 19:47:25 -0500

Hi Tom,

That document (IPP Email Notifications) was formally abandoned after
Ricoh stated that they held relevant patents and would NOT license
those patents.  The PWG will never take up IPP Email Notifications
again.  That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Cheers,
- Ira

---

From: "Whittle, Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:03:59 -0700

All:

The minutes from this week's teleconference call can be found at:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/ippv2-minutes/IPPv2-ConCall-Minutes-200803
20.pdf  

Best regards,
 
**CW