Subject: [ippm] Re: draft-ietf-ippm-owdp: should it be split?

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:36:45 +0100 (CET)

On 18 Dec 2000, stanislav shalunov wrote:

> There was a suggestion made during physical IPPM WG meeting that the
> draft be split into two: one describing OWDP-Control, the other one
> describing OWDP-Test.
> 
> What is everybody's opinion on this suggestion?

IMHO, split. 

> NOTE:  Split or not split, you *can* use OWDP-Test without OWDP-Control.

If OWDP-test can be used without OWDP-control, then two documents
documents, with the OWDP-T pointing to OWDP-C as a possibility but not a
necessity, sounds a lot more logical than a single document with a remark
"yes, we're describing OWDP-C here but you don't need that if you prefer
something else".

I can see that one can easily extend the OWDP-C protocol to accomodate
other measurements, with a program on each measurement node talking OWDP-C
to the other nodes and setting up measurement sessions for delay, loss,
... as necessary.  

Henk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445 
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as you don't tell your friends how I played the hand,
then I won't tell my friends how you defended it.                 (Anonymous)

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Will E. Leland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:45:45 -0500

I definitely agree with Henk: splitting the documents is the
best approach, and is essential for a smooth evolution to using
OWDP-Control in a wider context.
-- Will
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Will E. Leland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:45:45 -0500