Subject: [ippm] Real-time-like traffic generation

From: Bogdan Ghita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:59:00 +0000

Hello everybody,

I would like to do some traffic performance measurement of combined
real-time traffic (e.g. VoIP) and TCP traffic. I know that there are
plenty of applications to produce a VoIP call, but I would prefere, for
the sake of simplicity, to use an easy-to-configure application, such as
ping (the tests will involve scripting, and it's rather difficult to
make 'rat' or 'netmeeting' part of a script ). I know that they are not
the same, I know that the remote station would reply to the ICMP packets
sent by the sender, but the effect would be the same: constant traffic,
with a precise spacing between packets and same packet lenght for each
datagram. 

The problem I have is that ping cannot send packets at intervals < 1s,
except for the flood case, which is out of the question, because the
program relies on sigalarm() function, which can be triggered only at
integer intervals.

So, the question is: are there any tools to produce real-time-like
traffic (I'm talking, of course, about freely downloadable ones, not
commercial products), or are there any ping 'clones' that avoided the
sigalarm() problem?

Thank you

Bogdan Ghita
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Nadav Har'El" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:26:54 +0200

> program relies on sigalarm() function, which can be triggered only at

Actually, Linux (Redhat 7, at least) ping is capable of wait intervals of
less than one second, e.g.,
	$ ping -i 0.1 remote.machine.net

It appears that an interval of 0.02 seconds or less is not permitted
unless you're the superuser - this is probably just some self-imposed
limit in the code to prevent mischief from regular users.

-- 
Nadav Har'El                        |       Tuesday, Mar 20 2001, 25 Adar 5761
[email-masked]             |-----------------------------------------
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Drink varnish and you'll get a lovely
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |finish.
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm