Subject: [ippm] OWD

From: Jambi Ganbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:40:02 -0500 (EST)

How many network operators are getting requirements from customers to
produce one way delay as part of their SLA/SLG?  
jambi
vBNS Engineering
(703) 886 1714

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Mar 2001 20:04:14 -0500

> produce one way delay as part of their SLA/SLG?  

I assume as Premium service becomes widespread, the answer will be "every".

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition,
and art into pedantry.  Hence University education.       -- G. B. Shaw
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:04:56 +0100 (CET)

> produce one way delay as part of their SLA/SLG?  

Not many, as until recently it was impossible to buy a device to actually
measure them. My guess is that this will change rapidly now that there are
measurement devices available on the market for everyone against a nominal
fee. (See, for example: http://www.ripe.net/test-traffic).

Henk

> vBNS Engineering

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445 
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as you don't tell your friends how I played the hand,
then I won't tell my friends how you defended it.                 (Anonymous)

---

From: "J. Scott Marcus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:54:29 -0600

>I assume as Premium service becomes widespread, the answer will be "every".

What makes you believe that Premium service will become widespread?
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Jambi Ganbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:20:30 -0500 (EST)

I would not make such assumptions.  There are still enough networks out
there that have minimal SLAs that do not mean much when one read the fine
print.  I am interested in hearing from ISPs that were asked by customers
to provide such numbers.
Jambi

vBNS Engineering
(703) 886 1714