Subject: [ippm] loss-pattern-05 draft

From: Timothy SOETENS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:07:10 +0200

Hi all,

5.1: 
"Define loss of a packet noticeable if the distance between the lost
packet and the previously lost packet is no greater than delta, ..."
"Example: Let delta = 99. Let us assume that packet 50 is lost, followed
by a but=rsty loss of length 3 starting from packte 125. All the *four*
losses are noticeable."

5.5: 
"In type-P-one-way-loss-distance-stream
{<0,0>,<0,1>,<0,0>,<0,0>,<3,1>,<0,0>,<2,1>,<0,0>,<2,1>,<1,1>}, there are
3 loss distances that violate the delta of 2. ..."

Is there an inconsistency? The example of 5.1 clearly counts the first
loss as noticeable, where the example in 5.5 does not. Please comment.

5.3 (Type-P-one-way-loss-period-legnths) and 5.4
(Type-P-one-way-loss-inter-period-lengths) represent streams of values,
and therefore should be classified as sample metric ,rather than
statistic metric. Please comment.

Regards,
Tim.
-- 
Timothy Soetens
_________________________________________

From the Network Strategy Group @ Alcatel

Tel. +32-3-240.42.11
Fax  +32-3-240.48.88
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Koodli Rajeev (NRC/MtView)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:14:10 -0500

Hello Tim, 
> "In type-P-one-way-loss-distance-stream

Yes, there is inconsistency. Section 5.1 should read all except the
first loss is noticeable. Thanks for pointing out.

> statistic metric. Please comment.

Actually, both Loss-Period-Lengths and Inter-Loss-Period-Lenghts are
derived from the sample metric Type-P-One-Way-Loss-Period-Stream defined
in Section 4.4.2. And, the example in Section 5.5 explains this. 

Regards,

-Rajeev