Subject: Re: [ippm] draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-reqs-01.txt: last comments before IETF52

From: Victor Reijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:42:31 +0000

Hello Stanislav,

A late respond due to my holidays.

stanislav shalunov wrote:
> 
> Victor,
> 
> I remember your (jokingly made along the lines of my earlier mention
> of vax binaries?) suggestion of using Java to formalize transmission
> of send schedules in the control protocol.  If that meant to be
> serious, please let me know.  (If it was serious, I don't think huge
> pieces of currently fashionable software that's not even really free
> should be mandated to be included into internet standards.  Sun would
> be happy to see that, sure.  The question then becomes, why not Visual
> Basic or Python?  Vax binaries at least have the advantage that their
> format won't change in the future. :-)

I am not joking. I know it is a problem using binaries or Java or any
thing else even defined in IETF. But as you know, my aim is looking at
some measurement infrastructure and for making that you need to be able
to download at least the definition of the parameter to be tested. You
can leave this to the implementation, but then this whole idea becomes
bogus.

You can make something very specific for instance for one way delay, but
then I assume you hope it will never change (an other example: if that
would happen with ICMP, you would also be lost). Because we are talking
about a changing world of ideas here with the measurement
infrastructure, you need thus some definition how to download these
'defined tests'.

That is why I think we need to be able to download code (and leave the
definition of code for us to solve).

All the best,

Victor
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm