Subject: RE: [ippm] Way to store traceroutes

From: "Saverio Niccolini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:14:00 +0100

> 
> I am not yet sure I completely understand the motivation behind bring
> this up within the IETF at the moment.  Maybe someone could 
> fill in that
> detail?

The answer I have in mind to "Why should we need the format for storing
traceroute measurements?" is:
-- for exchanging information among different systems (interoprability)
-- for storing the same information locally
While for the latter we need only an information model, for the former
we need
also a data model.

Anywway I am not sure if other people share the same view,
thus I would like to see other comments.

> Also, CAIDA is currently implementing a measurement repository and so
> they are defining ways to store all sorts of meta-data-ish kinds of
> things.

Actually the work we are doing for the draft is inserted in a more
complex framework
in a European project (MOME) where we do already storing of meta-data
(measurements tool and measurements data) in databases.
If you want to check it out have a look at http://www.ist-mome.org/,
there is a section on Database, and you can find more info in the
publication section.

Comments are more than welcome.

Best regards,
Saverio

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:49:51 +0100

At 18:14 03/03/2005, Saverio Niccolini wrote:
> > fill in that detail?

I think the question is more the other way around: this draft is an
individual submission, we (as the ippm group) are trying to decide if
it should be picked up as a WG item.

(I personally think that we should, as traceroute is frequently used and
there are huge benefits in having consistent and exchangable information).

Henk

>Comments are more than welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look here junior, don't you be so happy.
And for Heaven's sake, don't you be so sad.                 (Tom Verlaine)

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:10:43 -0500

> (I personally think that we should, as traceroute is frequently used
> and there are huge benefits in having consistent and exchangable
> information).

And, just to be clear, I am not against defining such a format.  I just
was curious about the trigger for doing it now and whether there was
some motivation besides just plain making it easier to swap these
things.

allman

--
Mark Allman -- ICIR -- http://www.icir.org/mallman/