Subject: [ippm] CFP: JSAC special issue on Sampling the Internet

From: "Chadi Barakat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:40:26 +0100

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this email. 

All information can be found at
http://www.argreenhouse.com/society/J-SAC/Calls/sampling_internet.html.

Deadline for manuscript submission: OCTOBER 1, 2005.

=======================================================
	
CALL FOR PAPERS
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 
SAMPLING THE INTERNET: TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS

Scope

As the Internet continues to grow rapidly in size and complexity, it has
become increasingly clear that its evolution is closely tied to a detailed
understanding of network traffic. Network traffic measurements are
invaluable for a wide range of tasks such as network capacity planning,
traffic engineering, fault diagnosis, application and protocol performance
profiling, and anomaly detection.

This large and diverse set of applications raises the question of how to
monitor the Internet in an efficient and scalable way. In the case of active
monitoring (where probe packets are sent across the network to infer
specific properties) the scalability issue arises from the size of the
Internet and the potentially large number of end systems that one needs to
instrument, as well as the number of probing experiments that one must
conduct.

Intuitively, sampling is an essential component of scalable Internet
monitoring. Broadly speaking, sampling is the process of making partial
observations of a system of interest, and drawing conclusions about the full
behaviour of the system from these limited observations. The observation
problem is concerned with minimising information loss whilst reducing the
volume of collected data. It is this reduction that makes the collection
process scalable. The way in which the partial information is transformed
into knowledge of the system as a whole is the inversion problem. The
inversion is in general imperfect and error-prone.

The aim of this issue is to bring together work from researchers and
practitioners devoted to the understanding of the practical and theoretical
issues related to all aspects of sampling the Internet. In this context,
sampling may take various forms. A classic example is to observe only a
subset of the packets carried over a link, and then estimate traffic
parameters which apply to all packets. Alternatively, one could target a
subset of routers with packet probes in order to infer network
characteristics such as the topology or routing matrix. 

Examples abound from a wide variety of application areas within Internet
measurement, management, and analysis. Independent of subject area, papers
will be in scope if they focus substantially on the sampling aspects of the
problem under study, for example by exploring the tradeoff between
observation and inversion processes, revealing the limitations of inversion
techniques, analysing their properties, or proposing new ones, or by
providing new insights by explicitly recognizing the impact of implicit
sampling in many measurement studies.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

- Sampling and inverting traffic metrics with passive or active systems.
- Internet end-to-end measurements seen from a sampling standpoint.
- Sampling aspects of network topology inference.
- Impact of sampling on anomaly detection.
- Mechanisms for sampling live Internet traffic or collected traces.
- Theoretical studies of the sampling/inversion problem (e.g., accuracy,
complexity).
- Distributed and adaptive sampling techniques.
- New sampling methods.

Submission guidelines

Authors should follow the IEEE J-SAC manuscript format described in the
Information for Authors. There will be one round of reviews and acceptance
will be limited to papers needing only moderate revisions. Prospective
authors should submit a PDF version of their complete manuscript via email
to [email-masked] according to the following timetable: 

Manuscript submission: October 1, 2005
Acceptance notification: March 1, 2006
Final manuscript due: June 1, 2006
Publication: 4th quarter 2006

Guest Editors  

Chadi Barakat
INRIA – Planète group
2004, route des Lucioles
06902 Sophia Antipolis
France
[email-masked]
Tel: +33 4 92 38 75 96
Fax: +33 4 92 38 79 78

Gianluca Iannaccone
Intel Research
15 JJ Thomson Avenue
Cambridge CB3 0FD
United Kingdom
[email-masked]
Tel: +44 1223 763454
Fax: +44 1223 763456

Jim Kurose
Department of Computer Science  
University of Massachusetts  
Amherst MA 01003 
United States
[email-masked] 
Tel: +1 413 545 1585 
Fax: +1 413 545 1249

Darryl Veitch
CUBIN (ARC Special Research Ctr)
Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010
Australia
[email-masked]
Tel: +61 3 8344 3817
Fax: +61 3 8344 3821

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm