Subject: [ippm] RE: draft-hedayat-two-way-active-measurement protocol-01.txt TWAMPLight

From: "Hedayat, Kaynam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:01:31 -0500

Shree,

1. Per section 5.1 of TWAMP, "sender behavior is as defined in section
4.1 of OWAMP [OWAMP] for both packet timing and packet format". The
intent is to follow the OWAMP implementations as much as possible.

2. I am not clear on what you mean by packet record. Please clarify.

On the timestamp concern I am not convinced that the saving on number of
bytes justifies the deviation from OWAMP.

Regards,
Kaynam

-----Original Message-----
From: sharee mcnab [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:51 PM
To: Hedayat, Kaynam; [email-masked]
Cc: nick kinraid
Subject: draft-hedayat-two-way-active-measurement protocol-01.txt
TWAMPLight

Further comments/questions on the TWAMP draft -

1.  In the TWAMP draft the format of the send packet is not explictly
stated.  Should we assume
a) the send packet is the same as the OWAMP send packet (ie 14 octets
unauthenticated, 32 authenticated/encrypted) which then leaves the send
and reflected packets with a different size (undesirable) unless the
payload is adjusted by the reflector.
OR
b) the send packet is the same format as that of the reflected packet
(ie 40 octets unauthenticated, 80 authenticated/encrypted), here both
packets are the same size (desirable) with a larger bandwidth
requirement.

I assume b) but think clarification should be in the draft.

2.  An explicit packet record is not defined for TWAMP.  Is this
considered within the scope of the TWAMP draft to provide a packet
record for this protocol?
Given the excessive number of time stamps for a two-way measurement I
would propose that a single time reference be used and then offsets to
reduce the size of the packet record.

Cheers
Sharee

NOTICE: This message contains privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you
must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error please notify Allied Telesyn
Research Ltd immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender has the authority to issue and specifically
states them to be the views of Allied Telesyn Research.

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm