Subject: [ippm] Publication of draft-ietf-ippm-storetraceroutes-05

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:21:45 +0200

Dear Lars, IESG-Secretary,

The IP Performance Metrics WG requests publication of the draft

     Information Model and XML Data Model for Traceroute Measurements
                   draft-ietf-ippm-storetraceroutes-05

on the standards track.  Below is the questionnaire and protocol writeup
requested as part of the document shepherding process. [Interested group
members can reference RFC 4858 for details on the document shepherding
process.]

(1.a) Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?

     Document sheperd is Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
     He has reviewed the document and believes that it is ready for publication.

(1.b) Has the document had adequate review both from key WG members and from key
       non-WG members?

     The document has been thoroughly reviewed by Ron Bonica and Lars Eggert.
     All issues raised by them have been fixed and put in the current version
     of the document.  They have confirmed this.

     The document was sent to the XML directorate for review.  Their comments
     have been adressed as well.

     Many members of the group contributed to the mailing list and face-to-face
     discussions about this draft.

(1.c) Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document needs more
      review from a particular or broader perspective, e.g., security,
      operational  complexity, someone familiar with AAA, internationalization
      or XML?

     No.  The document is based on XML but it has already been reviewed by the
     XML directorate.

(1.d) Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or issues with
       this document that the Responsible Area Director and/or the IESG should
       be aware of?

      No

(1.d2) Has an IPR disclosure related to this document been filed?

     No IPR claims have been filed.

(1.e) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document?

      Traceroutes are being used by many people doing network measurements
      and there is support from them for storing traceroutes.  This document
      has their support.  There has already been 1 posting suggesting further
      work using this draft as a basis.

      The XML hasn't been checked extensively inside the group due to a lack
      of knowledge in the group.

(1.f) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme discontent?

      No

(1.g) Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the document
       satisfies all ID nits?

      The document has been checked with the ID nits tool.  It does
      generate a couple of warnings but these seem to be caused by the
      fact that the tool mistakes XML code for references.

      The XML code has been checked with xmllint.

(1.h) Has the document split its references into normative and informative?

      Yes

(1.h2) Are there normative references to documents that
     are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear state?

      No

(1.i) Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
      consideration section exists and is consistent with the body of
      the document?

     The IANA section exists and makes the correct requests.

  (1.j) Has the Document Shepherd
verified that sections of the document that are written in a formal language,
such as XML code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate correctly in an
automated checker?

     The XML code has been checked with xmllint by me and compiles fine.

  (1.k) The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
Announcement Write-Up. Please provide such a Document Announcement Write-Up?

Technical Summary

     This document describes a standard way to store the configuration and
    the results of traceroute measurements.  This document first of all
    describes the tool itself; afterwards, the common information model
    is defined dividing the information elements in two semantically
    separated groups (configuration elements and results ones).  Moreover
    an additional element is defined to relate configuration elements and
    results ones by means of a common unique identifier.  On the basis of
    the information model a data model based on XML is defined to store
    the results of traceroute measurements.

Working Group Summary

    The working group has supported the document throughout its life
    and it has been uncontroversial.

Document Quality
    The document has been given thorough review by the group over its
    revisions.  The XML code has been reviewed by the XML directorate.

Personnel
    Document Shepherd: Henk Uijterwaal
    Responsible Area Director: Lars Eggert

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is one of the choices leaving the office open?
                                       Alan Greenspan on the next elections

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm