Subject: [ippm] FW: WG Review: Performance Metrics at Other Layers (pmol)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:42:07 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 8:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Performance Metrics at Other Layers (pmol) 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and
Management Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by October 29.

+++

Performance Metrics at Other Layers (pmol)
==============================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

WG Chairs:
TBD

Operations and Management Area:
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Description:

The successful implementation and operation of IP based applications
often depends on some underlying performance measurement infrastructure
that helps service operators or network managers to recognize when
performance is unsatisfactory and identify problems affecting service
quality. Standardized performance metrics add the desirable features of
consistent implementation, interpretation, no comparison.

The IETF has two Working Groups dedicated to the development of
performance metrics however each has strict limitations in their
charters:

- The Benchmarking Methodology WG has addressed a range of networking
technologies and protocols in their long history (such as IEEE 802.3,
ATM, Frame Relay, and Routing Protocols), but the charter strictly
limits their Performance characterizations to the laboratory
environment.

- The IP Performance Metrics WG has the mandate to develop metrics
applicable to the performance of Internet data delivery, but it is
specifically prohibited from developing metrics that characterize
traffic (such as a VoIP stream).

The IETF also has current and completed activities related to the
reporting of application performance metrics (e.g. RAQMON and RTCP XR)
and is also actively involved in the development of reliable transport
protocols which would affect the relationship between IP performance and
application performance.

Thus there is a gap in the currently chartered coverage of IETF WGs:
development of performance metrics for IP-based protocols and
applications that operate over UDP, TCP, SCTP, DCCP, Forward Error
Correction (FEC) and other robust transport protocols, and that can be
used to characterize traffic on live networks.

The working group will focus on the completion of two RFCs:

1. A PMOL framework and guidelines memo that will describe the necessary
elements of performance metrics of protocols and applications
transported over IETF-specified protocols (such as the formal
definition, purpose, and units of measure) and the various types of
metrics that characterize traffic on live networks (such as metrics
derived from other metrics, possibly on lower layers). The framework
will also address the need to specify the intended audience and the
motivation for the performance metrics. There will also be guidelines
for a performance metric development process that includes entry
criteria for new proposals (how a proposal might be evaluated for
possible endorsement by a protocol development working group), and how
an successful proposal will be developed by PMOL WG in cooperation with
a protocol development WG.

2. A proof-of-concept RFC defining performance metrics for SIP, based on
draft-malas-performance-metrics. This memo would serve as an example of
the framework and the PMOL development process in the IETF.

Discussion of new work proposals is strongly discouraged under the
initial charter of the PMOL WG, except to advise a protocol development
WG when they are evaluating a new work proposal for related performance
metrics.

The PMOL WG will also be guided by a document describing how memos
defining performance metrics are intended to advance along the IETF
Standards track (draft-bradner-metricstest).

PMOL WG will take advantage of expertise and seek to avoid overlap with
other standards development organizations, such as ETSI STQ, ITU-T SG
12, ATIS IIF, ATIS PRQC, and others.

Milestones

June 08 SIP Performance Metrics Draft to IESG Review for consideration
as Proposed Standard

Sept 08 PMOL Framework and Guidelines Draft to IESG Review for
consideration as BCP

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm