Subject: [ippm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 06:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : TCP Throughput Testing Methodology
	Author(s)       : B. Constantine, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2010-05-18

This memo describes a methodology for measuring sustained TCP 
throughput performance in an end-to-end managed network environment.  
This memo is intended to provide a practical approach to help users 
validate the TCP layer performance of a managed network, which should 
provide a better indication of end-user application level experience.  
In the methodology, various TCP and network parameters are identified 
that should be tested as part of the network verification at the TCP 
layer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Gilles Forget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:22:42 -0400

Bonjour Barry,

I'm not sure about the first paragraph of the Path MTU section.
To be more specific, I think that the words between parentheses should be
replace by :
(at what packet length will fragmentation start to occur)

3.1. Determine Network Path MTU

   TCP implementations should use Path MTU Discovery techniques (PMTUD),
   but this technique does not always prove reliable in real world 
   situations.  Since PMTUD relies on ICMP messages (to inform the host
   that unfragmented transmission cannot occur), it's not always
   reliable since many network managers completely disable ICMP.

Thanks,
Gilles Forget, CCNP.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: May-18-10 9:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [ippm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo describes a methodology for measuring sustained TCP throughput
performance in an end-to-end managed network environment.  
This memo is intended to provide a practical approach to help users validate
the TCP layer performance of a managed network, which should provide a
better indication of end-user application level experience.  
In the methodology, various TCP and network parameters are identified that
should be tested as part of the network verification at the TCP layer.