Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 20:24:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Model Based Bulk Performance Metrics
        Authors         : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-03.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2014-07-03

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of model based metrics designed to determine
   if an end-to-end Internet path can meet predefined transport
   performance targets by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly
   applied to key infrastructure, such as interconnects, to accurately
   detect if it will prevent the full end-to-end paths that traverse it
   from meeting the specified target performance.

   Each IP diagnostic test consists of a precomputed traffic pattern and
   a statistical criteria for evaluating packet delivery.  The traffic
   patterns are precomputed to mimic TCP or other transport protocol
   over a long path but are independent of the actual details of the
   subpath under test.  Likewise the success criteria depends on the
   target performance for the long path and not the details of the
   subpath.  This makes the measurements open loop, which introduces
   several important new properties and eliminates most of the
   difficulties encountered by traditional bulk transport metrics.

   This document does not define diagnostic tests, but provides a
   framework for designing suites of diagnostics tests that are tailored
   the confirming the target performance.

   Interim DRAFT Formatted: Thu Jul 3 20:19:04 PDT 2014

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/