Subject: [ippm] RFC 8337 on Model-Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 17:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8337

        Title:      Model-Based Metrics for Bulk Transport 
                    Capacity 
        Author:     M. Mathis, 
                    A. Morton
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      55
        Characters: 138647
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8337

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8337

This document introduces a new class of Model-Based Metrics designed
to assess if a complete Internet path can be expected to meet a
predefined Target Transport Performance by applying a suite of IP
diagnostic tests to successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests
can be robustly applied to critical infrastructure, such as network
interconnections or even individual devices, to accurately detect if
any part of the infrastructure will prevent paths traversing it from
meeting the Target Transport Performance.

Model-Based Metrics rely on mathematical models to specify a Targeted
IP Diagnostic Suite, a set of IP diagnostic tests designed to assess
whether common transport protocols can be expected to meet a
predetermined Target Transport Performance over an Internet path.

For Bulk Transport Capacity, the IP diagnostics are built using test
streams and statistical criteria for evaluating the packet transfer
that mimic TCP over the complete path.  The temporal structure of the
test stream (e.g., bursts) mimics TCP or other transport protocols
carrying bulk data over a long path.  However, they are constructed
to be independent of the details of the subpath under test, end
systems, or applications.  Likewise, the success criteria evaluates
the packet transfer statistics of the subpath against criteria
determined by protocol performance models applied to the Target
Transport Performance of the complete path.  The success criteria
also does not depend on the details of the subpath, end systems, or
applications.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Measurement Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC