Subject: [ippm] RFC 8468 on IPv4, IPv6, and IPv4-IPv6 Coexistence: Updates for the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 12:43:39 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8468

        Title:      IPv4, IPv6, and IPv4-IPv6 Coexistence: 
                    Updates for the IP Performance Metrics 
                    (IPPM) Framework 
        Author:     A. Morton,
                    J. Fabini,
                    N. Elkins,
                    M. Ackermann,
                    V. Hegde
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 35970
        Updates:    RFC 2330

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-2330-ipv6-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8468

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8468

This memo updates the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) framework defined
by RFC 2330 with new considerations for measurement methodology and
testing.  It updates the definition of standard-formed packets to
include IPv6 packets, deprecates the definition of minimal IP packet,
and augments distinguishing aspects, referred to as Type-P, for test
packets in RFC 2330.  This memo identifies that IPv4-IPv6 coexistence
can challenge measurements within the scope of the IPPM framework.
Example use cases include, but are not limited to, IPv4-IPv6
translation, NAT, and protocol encapsulation.  IPv6 header
compression and use of IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Area Networks
(6LoWPAN) are considered and excluded from the standard-formed packet
evaluation.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Measurement Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC