Subject: [ippm] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-route-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 02:55:17 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ippm-route-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-route/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you for this document, I found it mostly straight forward to read, but I
find the definition in section 3.2 slightly confusing.

3.2.  Parameters

   This section lists the REQUIRED input factors to specify a Route
   metric.

...

Possibly I'm slightly confused by what a Route metric is (it is outside of
domain of knowledge) but I was surprised by some of the input parameters (e.g.
"i", "T", "Ta").  This is probably because I initially read this sentence as
defining what parameters would need to be specified to enable an program to
perform a route metric calculation across the network (e.g., like the set of
options that might be provided to traceroute).  However, I suspect a different
meaning is intended, perhaps that these are the mandatory parameters that must
be considered in a route metric calculation?  Perhaps some tweaking of this
text might help clarify the intent?

Regards,
Rob

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:52:29 +0000

Thanks for your review, Rob!
Please see a possible resolution below,
Al

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:55 AM
> To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
> Subject: Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-route-09: (with
> COMMENT)
> 
...
[acm] 
I agree, let's add some more context:

NEW
This section lists the REQUIRED input factors to define and measure a Route metric, as specified in this memo.

We can iterate if you want/have a better idea; the new sentence is now in the working text.