Subject: use and caveats of RF licensing

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:54:53 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

At the meeting, someone asked whether w.g. could consider royalty-free 
licensing without problems.

The answer is/was intuitively "no", as the licensing terms can be changed.

My counter-question is, whether some kind of statement, like keywords
"irrevocable license" could make this any more acceptable? (Note: I just 
happened to notice the ISOC copyright at the RFC's/I-D's is also like 
this.)

If a company that has IPR etc. claims genuinely wants to allow everyone to
use their IP (e.g. to be able get the market of technologies using that
intellectual property flourish and actually be able to sell their
products), is there _any_ safe way, from the community perspective, to do
it?

For example (not the case I said above, but near enough), have a look at:
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/SRI-NGTRANS.txt

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg