Subject: Bug in MIB/PIB copyright text in draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:25:55 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy,

I notice that Section 5.6(a) of

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights-05.txt

does not correctly reflect the MIB/PIB copyright rules.  A correction
along the following lines is needed:

OLD:
   a. in MIB modules, PIB modules and similar material commonly
      extracted from IETF Documents, the following abbreviated notice
      may be included in the body of the material that will be extracted
      in lieu of the notices otherwise required by Section 5:

         "Copyright (C) <year> The Internet Society. The initial version
         of this MIB module was published in RFC XXXX; For full legal
         notices see the RFC itself or see:
         http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html."

      Substitute "PIB" for "MIB" in the statement for PIB modules.  In
      the case of MIB and PIB modules this statement should be placed in
      the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.
      
      [ note to RFC Editor - leave the "XXXX" in the above ]

NEW:
   a. in MIB modules, PIB modules and similar material commonly
      extracted from IETF Documents, except for material that is being
      placed under IANA maintanance, the following abbreviated notice
      shall be included in the body of the material that will be
      extracted in lieu of the notices otherwise required by Section 5:

         "Copyright (C) <year> The Internet Society.  This version
         of this MIB module is part of RFC XXXX;  see the RFC
         itself for full legal notices."

      When the MIB or PIB module is the initial version of a module
      that is to be maintained by the IANA, the following abbreviated
      notice shall be included:

         "Copyright (C) <year> The Internet Society.  The initial
         version of this MIB module was published in RFC XXXX;
         for full legal notices see the RFC itself or see:
         http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html."

      Substitute "PIB" for "MIB" in the statement for PIB modules.  In
      the case of MIB and PIB modules this statement should be placed in
      the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.
      
      [ note to RFC Editor - leave the "XXXX" in the above ]

These changes are needed because the old text does not correctly reflect
current practice, which distinguishes between modules whose definitive
version lives in an RFC and modules whose definitive version lives in
an IANA repository rather than an RFC.

Mike Heard

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg