Subject: FW: <draft-ietf-ipr-technology-rights-06.txt>

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:09:27 +0200

All,

Sect 5 tells people that RFC-Editor will add text for the required
IPR statements for stds track RFCs.

I contend that it is is much better to have authors/editors add that
text in their Internt-Drafts, so that it gets seen during WG and 
IETF Last Calls, so that whoever believes that he/she needs to 
comment is clearly pointed out that they need to think about it.

Thanks,
Bert 
_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:17:00 -0700

Bert, So section 5 tells people what is what -  I think that this is
ridiculous and negligent in nature since it creates a liability rather than
fixing one. The problems with the editors doing any editing to the drafts
and the RFCs are that they are part of the work-creation  and copyright
release process then and it becomes impossible to testify as to what was
submitted or its intent that way, and after all this IS supposed to be a
standards process, so that means that the IP's that are submitted are
complete otherwise the IETF's editors will have a further liability for
their actions, unless perhaps that was your intent here.

Todd

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:57:52 -0400

> comment is clearly pointed out that they need to think about it.

But the goal is clarification of current policy & procedure.

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:47:23 -0700

Scott the problem is that this is a template packaged inside of an I-D so
the proper format for it is with all the I-D Boiler Plate in place and then
the template built as the subject matter. What there is essentially in this
filing, is a template filed as an I-D and that breaks the protocol on what
is and is not submittable.

Todd

---

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:40:12 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I may be wrong, but it seems there may be different interpretations of the
mandated text.

Section 5 of draft-ietf-ipr-technology-rights-06.txt includes the "here
there be dragons" text, along with a pointer to the IETF's IPR Web page.
This is NOT a statement of the specific rights/claims, just that there is
[at least] one, and where to go to find what has been conveyed to the IETF
by the claimant.

Sometimes the text will be present in an I-D, sometimes not. Perhaps the
text should state the RFC Editor will _insure_ the text is included when
the document is published as an RFC.

Steve