Subject: Protocol Action: 'IETF Rights in Contributions' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:27:05 -0500

The IESG has approved following documents:

- 'Guidelines for Working Groups on Intellectual Property Issues '
   <draft-ietf-ipr-wg-guidelines-05.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'IETF Rights in Contributions '
   <draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights-08.txt> as a BCP
- 'Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology '
   <draft-ietf-ipr-technology-rights-12.txt> as a BCP

These documents are products of the Intellectual Property Rights Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact person is Harald Alvestrand.

Technical summary

  This set of 3 documents replaces section 10 of RFC 2026, and provides
  a much more detailed description of the considerations regarding
  intellectual property that need to be taken into account when working
  in the IETF.
  Particular attention is paid to copyright issues and issues concerning
  requirements for implementation, such as patent licensing.
  The "Guidelines" document relates useful experience gathered when
  working with IPR issues in the IETF.

Working Group summary

  The working group was chartered to document existing IPR practice in
  the IETF, and discuss whether updates were needed.
  After a great deal of debate, a strong consensus emerged that the
  fundamental IPR practice in the IETF should not be changed at this time.
  The details of IPR practice were gone over in minute detail, and the
  documents are believed to represent WG consensus on the practice that
  the IETF should follow at present.

Protocol Quality

   The documents were reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.

RFC EDITOR NOTE:

In section 5.6 of draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights, please make the 
following changes:

OLD:

         "Copyright (C) The Internet Society <year>.  The initial
         version of this MIB module was published in RFC XXXX; for full
         legal notices see the RFC itself or see:
         http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html."

NEW:

         "Copyright (C) The Internet Society <year>.  The initial
         version of this MIB module was published in RFC XXXX; for full
         legal notices see the RFC itself. Supplementary information
         may be available on http://www.ietf.org/copyrights/ianamib.html."

OLD:

      Substitute "PIB" for "MIB" in the statement for PIB modules.  In
      the case of MIB and PIB modules this statement should be placed in
      the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.

NEW:

      For other types of components than "MIB", substitute "MIB module" with
      an appropriate identifier. In
      the case of MIB and PIB modules this statement should be placed in
      the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:42:21 -0800 (PST)

> In section 5.6 of draft-ietf-ipr-submission-rights, please make the 
... 
>       the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro.

The replacement text does not parse correctly, and I hope it is
cleaned up before the RFC is published.  I would suggest something
along the following lines:

        For components other than MIB modules, substitute the
        appropriate identifier for "MIB module."  In the case of
        MIB and PIB modules this statement should be placed in
        the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro
        invocation.

With apologies for being pedantic,

Mike Heard

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:41:07 -0800

thanks for the grammar correction - I stand corrected :-)

I assume that the RFC Editor will correct it.

                   Harald

--On 4. november 2003 07:42 -0800 "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>       For other types of components than "MIB", substitute "MIB module"
>>       with an appropriate identifier. In