Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-bradner-author-contributors-00

From: "Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:49:46 -0400

>the issue is that we (the IETF) 
>	1/ may not get enough rights from an author to do our job
>see http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipr-wg/current/msg02917.html
>	2/ can not authorize people outside of the IETF to make
	   derivative works

While I agree that Scott's point "2" is an issue (IETF can't grant
others the right to extract/republish IETF contributions),
I'm not sure that I agree that there is a problem with the
rights that are granted for use within the IETF standards
process.

The original post that's linked above says:

>So, I decide to update RFC 3932.  I take the old text and replace a
>significant chunk of it.  I then prepare to go submit the internet
>draft and am faced with boiler plate that wants me to assert that I'm
>giving the IETF all the rights required by RFC 4067.

>I can't do that.  I don't have those rights: I'm not the original
>author of 3932.  In the case of 3932 I could probably contact the
>original author and get the appropriate permissions but that is not
>generally true.

This conclusion doesn't necessarily follow from the policy.  
The Contributor does not need to warrant that he/she *owns*
all the rights in the contribution, but just that he/she
has all the rights necessary to make the contribution.  That is,
either ownership or a license.  Since material previously 
submitted in the IETF process is licensed for ongoing use within the
IETF process, the re-contributor has sufficient rights to 
use that material.  The warranty requested of the contributor
only relates to *new* material that has not yet been licensed
to the IETF.

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg