Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-bradner-author-contributors-00.txt

From: "Contreras, Jorge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:23:33 -0400

>I've already received a suggestion (from Chuck Adams) that the IETF
>should get the right to use, within the IETF standards process, any
>derivative works developed outside the IETF.  

>I think this is a good idea but I think that a requirement for that
>should go in a different section of a revised RFC 3978 since this
>paragraph is in a section requesting rights from contributors.

JLC>  This sounds difficult to implement and could be controversial.
What if the Contributor or another implementer 
advances the technology internally? Should those advancements 
be licensed to IETF for standards purposes?  Would this inhibit
building independent works on top of IETF standards?

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:17:29 -0400 (EDT)

> >derivative works developed outside the IETF. =20
> 
> What if the Contributor or another implementer=20
> advances the technology internally? Should those advancements=20

assuming that
	1/ the author can continute to do whatever the author wants to
do (including telling someelse that they can create derivative works)
	2/ the IETF actually wants to grant an OK to do work elsewhere 
(independent of author involvement)

I do not see any confusion with teh IETF putting a condition on
the OK - if the other developer wants to not do a give-back they can go
to the author for permission

Scott