Subject: Re: Contributions on "other lists"

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:48:45 +0200

> What exactly does it mean if a WG is closed, and its list is kept alive?

It's clear enough to me that the definition of "contribution" in
RFC 3978 covers this case.

    Brian

_______________________________________________
Ipr-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipr-wg

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:55:48 +0200

> RFC 3978 covers this case.

Does "any other list functioning under IETF auspices" cover _all_
lists noted on the "other lists" page, e.g. the xml2rfc list ?  

One way to reach the "other lists" is www.ietf.org -> maillist.html
(with a "Note Well") -> maillist-new1.html -> maillist-new4.html ->
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/nwg_list.cgi (other lists).

The "contribution" stuff is constant on that way.  It's also clear
that some lists are @ietf.org lists, and others are not.  For the
part about following rules like 3934 it's not clear what owners of
lists not @ietf.org can do (obviously they can remove their list
from the "other lists" page).  Is "they can do whatever they wish"
a good summary ?  In the maze of appeals in conjunction with the
2nd PR I lost track what the outcome for "other lists" was... :-(

Frank

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:08:10 +0200

> lists noted on the "other lists" page, e.g. the xml2rfc list ?  

IANAL. But it seems to me that the only safe interpretation is yes,
i.e. as far as I'm concerned, I consider the IPR rules to apply
in all these cases.

> 2nd PR I lost track what the outcome for "other lists" was... :-(

In my opinion the outcome was that we needed to be more clear in
the posting rights rules, and so far the status is:
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/content/hartmanExpt.html

Section 3 of RFC 4633 offers a definition of "IETF mailing list"
for the purposes of the experiment.

None of which has anything to do with IPR disclosure rules.

     Brian

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:51:37 -0700

Brian
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>
To: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 1:08 AM
Subject: Re: Contributions on "other lists"

> i.e. as far as I'm concerned, I consider the IPR rules to apply

Does this specifically refer to lists which are bound by Note-Well or not? 
What if the other list is not participating in an IETF effort per Note Well. 
For instance, what happens when say Debian publishes those works on a list 
as a one-way process. Further since those parties are not involved in the 
IETF Standards Process,  Note-Well arguably doesnt apply to them.

Todd

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:32:37 +0200

> for the purposes of the experiment.

Thanks, I forgot the experiment, it claims to cover "other lists".
 
> None of which has anything to do with IPR disclosure rules.

ACK, only the "note well" page maillist.html mixes IPR + conduct.

Frank