Subject: [IPsec] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-03.txt]

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:18:04 +0200

This is a belated submission following a meeting in Vancouver. We have 
made significant changes to the DOS-resistance properties of the protocol.

As always, comments are requested and welcome.

    Yaron

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	I-D Action:draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-03.txt
Date: 	Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPsec Gateway Failover Protocol
	Author(s)       : Y. Sheffer, et al.
	Filename        : draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-03.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2008-03-19

The Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) protocol has
computational and communication overhead with respect to the number
of round-trips required and cryptographic operations involved.  In
remote access situations, the Extensible Authentication Protocol is
used for authentication, which adds several more round trips and
therefore latency.

To re-establish security associations (SA) upon a failure recovery
condition is time consuming, especially when an IPsec peer, such as a
VPN gateway, needs to re-establish a large number of SAs with various
end points.  A high number of concurrent sessions might cause
additional problems for an IPsec peer during SA re-establishment.

In many failure cases it would be useful to provide an efficient way
to resume an interrupted IKE/IPsec session.  This document proposes
an extension to IKEv2 that allows a client to re-establish an IKE SA
with a gateway in a highly efficient manner, utilizing a previously
established IKE SA.

A client can reconnect to a gateway from which it was disconnected,
or alternatively migrate to another gateway that is associated with
the previous one.  The proposed approach conveys IKEv2 state
information, in the form of an encrypted ticket, to a VPN client that
is later presented to the VPN gateway for re-authentication.  The
encrypted ticket can only be decrypted by the VPN gateway in order to
restore state for faster session setup.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec