Subject: [IPsec] ESP-null - the heuristic approach

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:52:04 +0200

Hi all,

We would like to reach closure on detecting ESP-null packets. There are
three options on the table right now:

-          An explicit wrapper, with a new protocol number
(http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ipsecme/draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility/)

-          A more implicit one, using a reserved SPI
(http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-bhatia-ipsecme-esp-null-00.txt)

-          And using heuristics.

But we don't have any documentation of the heuristic approach, other than a
few emails.

So before we rule out the heuristics option and concentrate on the other
two, we'd like to challenge people who believe this is the preferred
solution to publish an I-D with enough details to make a fair comparison. If
any of you is interested, please reply, either on the list or privately to
Paul and myself, and please specify an ETA.

Thanks,

            Yaron

_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:02:26 +0200

> Paul and myself, and please specify an ETA.

I have still that item in my todo list, but I have been so busy that I
haven't been able to continue the work I did several months ago since.

I will try to get something done for this during the first week of
January, but if someone else can write it even better... 
-- 
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:53:40 -0800

>January, but if someone else can write it even better...

Anyone who believes that the heuristic approach is the best one should volunteer to Tero to help. Heuristics is different than a protocol; it would probably be good to have many contributors/writers on such a document.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium