Subject: [IPsec] Document Action: 'IPsec Cluster Problem Statement' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPsec Cluster Problem Statement '
   <draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsec-ha-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsec-ha-09.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes the problems associated with clustering
   of IKE/IPsec VPN endpoints using the existing set of standards.
   It is claimed that the amount and volatility of IKE/IPsec state
   result in numerous challenges for such clustering. The document
   defines terminology for high availability and load sharing
   clusters implementing IKE and IPsec, and describes gaps in the
   existing standards.

Working Group Summary

   There was no controversy other than a prolonged discussion on
   terminology. 

Document Quality

   This is a problem statement, not a protocol. However it is noted
   that the vast majority of IPsec VPN products support some form
   of clustering, and there is a strong feeling in the working group
   that this document is a step forward in allowing better
   interoperability of clustered systems.

Personnel

   Yaron Sheffer ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
   Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is Responsible Area Director?