Subject: [IPsec] Issue #192 - RFC 2119 language in section 9.1

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:35:32 +0200

Reported by Yaron Sheffer:

9.1: this is not really a MUST, let's use some non-RFC 2119 wording.

Yoav Nir: I disagree. We are giving requirements for implementations that conform to this spec. The requirements vary by the role that the implementation plays: RA client, RA gateway, Site to site gateway, or host.

The "offending" section is given below:
   To clarify the requirements:
   o  A remote-access client MUST be a token taker and MAY be a token
      maker.
   o  A remote-access gateway MAY be a token taker and MUST be a token
      maker.
   o  An inter-domain VPN gateway MUST be both token maker and token
      taker.

Unlike previous issues, this one has differences of opinion (between me and Yaron). Please post your opinions to the list (I think I know Tero's opinion on the third bullet point at least...)

Yoav

---

From: David Wierbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:06:08 -0400

I agree that the RFC 2119 language in this section is not appropriate.  To
me this is just stating where it makes sense to implement the maker/taker
roles.  You also know my opinion about bullet 3.  I think an implementer
should be able to decide what roles make sense for their implementation.

Dave Wierbowski

From:       Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
To:         IPsecme WG <[email-masked]>
Date:       09/30/2010 04:35 PM
Subject:    [IPsec] Issue #192 - RFC 2119 language in section 9.1
Sent by:    [email-masked]

Yoav Nir: I disagree. We are giving requirements for implementations that
conform to this spec. The requirements vary by the role that the
implementation plays: RA client, RA gateway, Site to site gateway, or host.

Unlike previous issues, this one has differences of opinion (between me and
Yaron). Please post your opinions to the list (I think I know Tero's
opinion on the third bullet point at least...)

Yoav

_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec