Subject: [IPsec] draft-bottorff-ipsecme-mtdcuc-ipsec-lb-00

From: "Bottorff, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:48:37 +0000

Hi:

A new draft-bottorff-ipsecme-mtdcuc-ipsec-lb-00 has been posted in the ipsecme documents which describes a use case for IPsec load balancing.

Name:                  draft-bottorff-ipsecme-mtdcuc-ipsec-lb
Revision:              00
Title:                     Multi-tenant Data Center Use Case for IPsec Load Balancing
Document date: 2021-07-05
Group:                  Individual Submission
Pages:                  11

Abstract:
   IPsec is of increasing importance within data centers to secure
   tunnels used to carry multi-tenant traffic encapsulated using the
   Network Virtualization over L3 (NVO3) protocols. Encrypting NVO3
   tunnels provides defence against bad actors within the physical
   underlay network from monitoring or injecting overlay traffic from
   outside the NVO3 infrastructure. When securing data center tunnels
   using IPsec it becomes crucial to retain entropy within the outer
   IPsec packet headers to facilitate load balancing over the highly
   meshed networks used in these environments. While entropy is
   necessary to support load distribution algorithms it is also
   important that the entropy codes used retain integrity of flows to
   prevent performance deterioration resulting from packet re-ordering.
   Here, we describe a use case for load balancing IPsec traffic within
   multi-tenant data centers.

Cheers,

Paul