Subject: Re: [IPsec] WGLC for draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev1-algo-to-historic

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 08:31:08 -0700

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 11:23:32AM +0300, Valery Smyslov wrote:
[...]
> 
> - The draft currently has all its references as Normative.
>    I have no problems with this (except that RFC 3740 is Informational,
>    so should not be referenced as Normative in Standards Track and BCP documents,
>    but I suggested to remove it anyway). My concern is that 
>    referencing active drafts as Normative will lead to slow down
>    publication of this document until those drafts are published.
>    I don't think it's a major problem (we will have an incentive 
>    to work harder on these drafts :-)), just should be noted.

I see that Paul has already agreed to move these references to Informative,
but I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have a normative
reference from a standards-track document to
Informational/Experimental/etc. documents -- the "downreference" just needs
to be called out during the IETF LC (and be subject to discussion at that
time).

There's even a "downref registry"
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/downref/) of documents that have been
deemed to be suitable for referencing from standards-track RFCs and for
which the IETF LC callout is not needed.  This procedure is discussed in
BCP 97.

-Ben