Subject: [IPsec] Protocol Action: 'Intermediate Exchange in the IKEv2 Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 23:08:25 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Intermediate Exchange in the IKEv2 Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate/

Technical Summary

   This document defines a new exchange, called Intermediate Exchange,
   for the Internet Key Exchange protocol Version 2 (IKEv2).  This
   exchange can be used for transferring large amount of data in the
   process of IKEv2 Security Association (SA) establishment.
   Introducing Intermediate Exchange allows re-using existing IKE
   fragmentation mechanism, that helps to avoid IP fragmentation of
   large IKE messages, but cannot be used in the initial IKEv2 exchange.

Working Group Summary

  The document content was not particularly controversial. The only issue some had
  was about creating a generic intermediate exchange, separate from the future
  documents that will actually use it.
  However, after all the discussion, the consensus was not rough

Document Quality

  There are three independent implementations of the draft, one by the
  author and two other by open source implementations (libreswan and
  strongswan). All three were tested as interoperable with each other.

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Yoav Nir.
  The responsible AD is Benjamin Kaduk.