Subject: [IPsec] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-09: (with COMMENT)

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 16:52:47 -0800

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ 
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this. I have just a couple minor questions/suggestions.

1. Section 3.2, “these exchanges MUST follow each other”. I suppose what is
meant is, “these exchanges MUST be sequential” (this hardly seems to need to be
mandated, but OK). Or is something else intended, in which case, what is it?

2. In Section 3.4, there is:

   not all error notifications may ever appear in the IKE_INTERMEDIATE
   exchange (for example, errors concerning authentication are generally
   only applicable to the IKE_AUTH exchange).

I can’t make sense of what the word “ever” is doing there. It makes sense to me
if I remove “ever” to make it “not all error notifications may appear”. It’s OK
if I change “ever” to “even”. But I don’t get it, as written. Am I missing
something, or would one of my edits be appropriate?

---

From: Valery Smyslov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 10:16:28 +0300

Hi John,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate/

No, you got the point. If you think “these exchanges MUST be sequential”
is more natural English wording, I'll use it. As a non-native speaker 
I probably don't feel the difference...

> something, or would one of my edits be appropriate?

This is again an artefact of me being a non-native speaker.
By using this word I intended to stress that some error notifications
may _never_ appear in the IKE_INTERMEDIATE, but it's OK for me to drop this word.

Thank you!

Regards,
Valery.

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 15:36:07 +0000

OK thanks. Those changes would make the document clearer for me, at least.

Regards,

—John

> On Mar 3, 2022, at 2:16 AM, Valery Smyslov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Hi John,
> 
>> Please refer to https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!XGQjnyKG320X2cLxK9O8lUUdHDPAUAqktikCKjmq47JKLaRtoV4JBm_gnZUvhQ$
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate/__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!XGQjnyKG320X2cLxK9O8lUUdHDPAUAqktikCKjmq47JKLaRtoV4JBm-OaYI_mg$
>> 
>> 
>>