Subject: Question about draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-06.txt.

From: "Jesse Alpert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:12:28 +0300

Hi,

In section 3.2 of the nat-t draft (version 06) it says:
"If the sender of the packet does not know his own IP address ...
he can include multiple ..."

But in section 5.2. - Sending the original source and destination addresses,
there is no discussion about this problem.

Question: If the sender of the packet does not know his own IP address what
address is he supposed to put in his NAT-OA payload?

What am I missing?

Thanks, Jesse

---

From: Joshua Graessley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:15:40 -0700

> address is he supposed to put in his NAT-OA payload?

I believe this is done to handle the case where a multihomed host may 
send from a number of addresses. The IKE implementation may not know 
which address will be used to send the packet, so it may include a nat 
detection payload for each address. When the packet is received, if 
none of the nat detection payloads match the address the packet was 
from, then a NAT is there.

The sender must know the possible IP addresses. It may not know the 
specific address that will be picked by the stack.

-josh

---

From: "Jesse Alpert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:37:15 +0300

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I was referring to the phase 2 negotiation (where
NAT-OA payloads are used). I understand the phase1 negotiation using NAT-D
payloads.

My question is: Given that the sender may not know his own IP address, the
draft specifies that in phase 1 he should send multiple NAT-D payloads
corresponding to all of his possible IP addresses.
- What is the sender supposed to do in phase 2 in this case. What address
should he specify in his NAT-OA payload. (Is there a relation between the
NAT-OA content and the Quick Mode ID payload?)

Thanks again,
Jesse

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Joshua Graessley
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 11:16 PM
To: Jesse Alpert
Cc: [email-masked]; 'Tero Kivinen'
Subject: Re: Question about draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-06.txt.

-josh