Subject: Implementing an IPsec MIB? Advice/Opinions sought?

From: "Brookes, Stuart P" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:02:55 +0100

Hi,

I am fairly new to SNMP & MIBs.  I need to add a new read-only MIB object
that will inform whether IPsec is enabled or disabled...
I think the IPsec Monitoring MIB is too low-level for what I require.  So I
have looked at the IPsec Flow Monitoring MIB draft document.

Because I am new to this, I'm not sure exactly what I have to implement.  I
have been asked if it possible to just implement some sort of single MIB
object that will display whether IPsec is enabled or disabled? Is this
possible?  Do I have to implement various other MIBs in order to do this?

As a result, in terms of documentation, where are these MIB objects stored?
I was presuming they are placed under the IP Group of MIB objects, am I
wrong? If so, where should they be located?

I hope this is not to basic and I am not asking stupid questions.  As I say,
I am pretty much learning as I go along...

Regards
Stuart

---

From: Jean-Francois Dive <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:27:51 +0200

Hi,

Sometimes SNMP is not a that simple protocol...

As of rules, you should not implement part of mibs, and should not add/change
definitions of drafted/documented mibs.

For your problem, i reckon the best approach (especically for a single object as
you require) would be to add an object somewhere in your enterprise private OID tree.
(If you already have for exemple a list of active/inactive services). There are no
requirement of implementing any MIB object to be able to implement another .

-- 

-> Jean-Francois Dive
--> [email-masked]

  There is no such thing as randomness.  Only order of infinite
  complexity. - Marquis de LaPlace - deterministic Principles -