Subject: active user identity confidentiality protection

From: Schwiderski-Grosche Scarlet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:39:27 +0100

Hi all,
 
I would like to support the idea of protecting the user's identity against
active attacks in IKEv2 for the remote access case (i.e. EAP message
exchange), as recently raised by Hugo, Hannes and Scott.
 
In the SHAMAN project, we identified this to be an important/essential
requirement for access to future mobile networks. In GSM and UMTS, this is
also a well-established requirement which is "solved" by using temporary
identities (can be circumvented by using "false base station attacks"). Not
protecting the user's identity against active attacks would mean to ignore
long identified security requirements and may allow a bogus access network
to get hold of the user's identity.
 
Best wishes,
Scarlet
 
Dr. Scarlet Schwiderski-Grosche
Information Security Group
Royal Holloway, University of London
Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX, UK
Tel.: ++44-1784-443089