Subject: 2401bis Issue # 80 -- Security gateway discovery

From: Karen Seo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:07:00 -0400

Folks,

Here's a description and proposed approach for:

IPsec Issue #:	80

Title:		Security gateway discovery

Description:
============
At present, 2401 does not include a mechanism for determining which 
(if any) security gateway to use to reach a particular host.  In the 
case of VPNs or road warriors trying to reach a home system or their 
employer's system, their laptops typically are manually configured 
with the IP address of the relevant security gateway(s).  But this 
does not cover the more general case.

NOTE: The IPSP working group was supposed to produce an ID on "SG 
discovery, Policy Exchange and Negotiation Protocol" in June 2003.

Proposed approach:
==================
2401bis will not address the problem, but will refer to ongoing work 
by the IPSP WG, which has taken on this topic as a work item.

Thank you,
Karen