Subject: 2401bis Issue #70 -- Add diffserv (IPv4) and class (IPv6) as selectors

From: Karen Seo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:28:27 -0400

Folks,

Here's a description and proposed approach for:

IPsec Issue #:	70

Title:		Add diffserv (IPv4) and class (IPv6) as selectors

Description:
============
Do we need to add support for diffserv (IPv4) and class for IPv6 to 
enable creation of SAs per service class? (Note diff serv = DSCP.)

Proposed approach:
==================
Providing support for the creation of SAs per service class was 
addressed under Issue #48 (add TOS traffic selector option) by the 
addition of support for multiple SAs between a given sender and 
receiver, with the same selectors.   As noted under Issue #48, diff 
serv (aka DSCP) and class will not be added as new selectors. 
Instead, it is left to the sender to distribute traffic among these 
SAs to achieve the desired QOS.  Also, while neither diff serv (aka 
DSCP) nor class is an IPsec selector, the sender will need a 
mechanism to direct packets with a given (set of) DSCP values to the 
appropriate SA.  This mechanism might be termed a "filter" or 
"classifier." The implementation of such filters or classifiers is a 
local matter, since they are not directly visible to nor coordinated 
with the peer IPsec implementation.

Thank you,
Karen