Subject: IETF #58: IPsec wg summary

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:54:50 -0500

IPsec wg summary
================

The IPsec working group met in Minneapolis on Monday, November 10, 2003
from 13:00 to 15:00 Central time.  The main items addressed during this
meeting were:

	* Agenda bashing
	* I-D status review
	* RFC 2401bis
		- Open Issues Review (Ted Ts'o)
		- Revised Processing Model (Steve Kent)
	* Follow-on work
		- Strong Identity Protection using Hidden Credentials 
			(Hilarie Orman)
		- The Camellia Cipher (Kato Akihiro)
		- BEET (Pekka Nikander)

Most open issues in the Roundup draft tracker were resolved and brought
to closure, at least in principle (some are awaiting final text).  One
issue, involving lifting the prohibition on red-side fragmentation, was
temporarily held in abeyance pending some additional research/thinking.
This proposed change will be accepted by default by next week unless
strong reasons to contrary can be presented to the wg list.  Steve Kent
also presented a revised processing model, which is perhaps the largest
conceptual change to RFC 2401-bis.

The current timeline for completing RFC 2401-bis is to close all
remaining issues by November 30, and that the final draft will be
presented to the working group by December 15th.  Hence, it is very
likely that this may be the last physical meeting of the IPsec working
group.