Subject: Re: IANA assignment policies

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:42:15 -0500

Ted:

>There has been no further activity on the mailing list about IANA
>assignment policies for IKEv2, and we need to somehow make progress.
>
>[Snip]
>
>3) All 8-bit number spaces shall have the following policy for the
>    portion of the space which is reserved for IANA assignment.  A number
>    may be assigned EITHER via a standards-track RFC OR by satisfying
>    both of the following policies: Specification Required and Expert
>    Review.  Furthermore, the review by the expert must follow a two-week
>    public discussion on a mailing list.  As always, the decision of the
>    expert may be appealed to the IESG who may decide to affirm or
>    override the Expert's decision.

In general, I have a preference for expert review.  A standards-track RFC 
requires a lot of time to drive through the process, and it requires the 
whole IESG to get involved.  So, unless there is a compelling reason to 
place the bar this high, I prefer the use of expert review.

Russ