Subject: Reminder: last call for PIC in the IPSRA WG

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:01:51 -0700

Hi again. Just a reminder that we are in the middle of the PIC last 
call in the IPSRA WG. The last call ends at the end of September 
unless significant changes are needed to the spec.

It has been pretty quiet here, and maybe that is good.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Sep 2001 15:34:39 +0300

> It has been pretty quiet here, and maybe that is good.

I was also on vacation (four weeks :>), which delayed somewhat this mail. I
didn't want to start discussion while people were still in Finland in the
VPN workshop, and I regrettably had to leave workshop's summary session
before I could poll it locally.

I still personally feel that with the discussion about s-o-IKE, and
_especially_ the discussions regarding aggressive/main(/base) mode in IPsec
WG, it might be bad idea to select aggressive-like approach for PIC.

Why do we want to perform significant work on basis of a packet from a
source which we haven't even verified exists and really wants to talk to
us?

This could be circumvented (at least) by changing the exchange from 3 to 4
messages and styling it after base mode instead of aggressive mode.

If someone else agrees, feel free to point it out; if it's just me, I'll
go back to my corner :>

> --VPN Consortium

-Markus

-- 
Markus Stenberg ([email-masked]) of SSH Communications Security (www.ssh.com)