Subject: h.245 channel establishment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:15:17 +0530

Hi All,
    This is regarding h.245 control channel establishment.

Specifications (see sections 6.2.8 and 8.2 of h.323 ) say that either
endpoint, involved in the call, will initiate setup of TCP connection for
h.245 signalling. But there has not been any explicit mention of type of
'call model' supported. So should I assume that in its absence,
irrespective of call model, TCP conection will be initiated by endpoint
ONLY and not by gatekeeper?

In case GK decides to route h.245 signalling, then two h.245 channels will
be required, one between calling endpoint and GK and other between GK and
called party. So can I assume safely that in this case, both calling party
and called party will  initiate a h.245 channel towards gatekeeper? But in
this case how will called endpoint get GK's h.245 control channel transport
address?(For calling end, that is conveyed in call proceeding or Alert or
Connect or Progress message)

Also while switching from tunneling to a seperate connection for h.245,
both endpoints will have to initiate TCP connection towards GK to have two
channels.

In any of above two cases,what if one endpoint sets up h.245 connection
towards GK but other endpoint does not initiate? Should GK initiate a
channel setup or just send a Facility message with a reason of 'starth245'?

Any experiences or ideas to be shared?

Thanks,
Ritu.

standards discuss this setup.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.