Subject: data issue 6: domain representation

From: Matt Squire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:10:47 -0500

6) Internet Telephony Administrative Domains

For many reasons, GLP requires a way to represent different internet
telphony domains such that every domain has a unique representation.  We
haven't explicitly discussed how to represent such a domain.  

a) What is the appropriate representation of a domain?  Should it be
numeric (like an AS number), character based (like a domain name), or a URL
(like a SIP address)?

b) If numeric, should it be taken from the same number space as AS numbers
or not?

Due to its potential uses, I think its relatively clear that a numeric
representation would be the most efficient.  

Which brings us to (b).  My opinion is that call-routing is an independent
problem from IP routing, as such, the name/number spaces should be
independent.  

If we go with integrating e164 numbers into BGP, then, of course, an IP
telephony domain is just an AS and the name/number spaces are shared.  If
TBGP is considered a separate protocol from BGP, then again the number
spaces should probably be independent.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.