Subject: AW: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:07:36 +0100

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: fm-listproc [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Gesendet am: Freitag, 12. Februar 1999 02:05
An: Pat.Calhoun; Steven.R.Donovan; confctrl; iptel
Cc: fm-listproc
Betreff: RE: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

There is no way to properyly time the session unless the end-point is a
controlled network element.  A gatekeeper and/or SIP server cant do  
anything
unless the media stream gets through it ... of course, a SIP server,  
and or
H.323 gatekeeper can talk to routers, which control an IP media stream,  
and
affect the media stream.

Even worse, a sip server / gatekeeper that wishes to track the end of a  
call
so that it can bill by the second needs to worry about end points that  
just
go out and die and never send an end of conversation ... this mechanism  
is
not yet specified ...

[Ernst Horvath]  Not quite true - for the gatekeeper, ITU-T  
Recommendation H.225.0 specifies the Disengage message for the regular  
termination of a call (i.e. the gatekeeper is informed immediately upon  
termination), but there is also the Status request/report procedure to  
check the status of an end point. If exchanged at regular intervals  
(say every n seconds, while a call exists), the gatekeeper will notice  
the "death" of an end point with a delay of at most n seconds.

 -=Francois=-

Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG
Emai: [email-masked]   

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.