Subject: Caller preference draft and CPL

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:35:28 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, March 19 1999, "John Hearty" wrote to "Confctrl" saying:

>  I think the header/parameter approach to express the type of termination
> the caller wants can work well.  I agree with Jonathan that interacting
> CPL scripts between the caller and callee can get extremely complex.
> With a finite set of preference parameters to consider, it should be
> possible to update the CPL draft to allow these to be considered in
> callee CPL scripts.  That seems to be the best place to direct the
> interoperability efforts, since CPL can have more flexibility to deal
> with it.

Yes, I'm planning on considering this for the next draft of the CPL, though
I'm not quite sure yet how the parameters would work -- as Henning points
out, there's a complicated issue about what happens if these parameters
aren't specified.

One possibility (which has the virtue of simplicity) is to have a "location
filter" which simply filters the currently chosen location set according to
the caller's preferences.  This might even, potentially, be
parameterizable -- the filter could enable or disable certain preference
types.  The syntax for this is unclear, though.

Discussion about this issue is welcome, though it should probably be
restricted to the iptel mailing list
<mailto:[email-masked]>.  This message has been Cc'd
there.

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.