Subject: Re: GLP, number portability and wireless subscribers

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:59:10 -0500

Matt Squire wrote:
> 
> >I agree with >> and less so with >  above. Translations
> >are just outside of Iptel scope.
> >It is a separate can of worms, and we have enough of them on our plate
> >already (I just love mixed metaphors).
> >
> 
> Right, so just mention that number translation is not within the scope of
> GLP, and that it is not an expected function of call routing.   Other
> things (front-end, intra-domain, etc) not within the scope of GLP are
> mentioned in order to provide an idea of where GLP fits in to a larger ip
> telephony picture.  I don't want details, just a mention that it ain't our
> problem.

I agree with Matt here. I think its appropriate to mention this in the
framework document.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Matt Squire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:12:54 -0500

At 07:01 PM 3/9/99 -0500, Scott Petrack wrote:
>
>
>> >This is another good example of why translation before gateway selection
>> >is a good idea. However, I'm not sure there is much we can do from a
>> >protocol perspective to prevent it. There may be valid reasons why a
>> >company would like to advertise an 800 number (only they own it, for
>> >example), and I'd rather not exclude this possibility. It seems like a
>> >sensible approach is to allow non-routing numbers in GLP, but mention
>> >that there are issues with them, and translation before routing is a
>> >good idea. Does this sound sensible?
>> >
>> 
>> This sounds like the right thing to do.  I think the framework document
>> should mention where and how translation of such numbers is
expected/allowed.

Now you can have your worms and eat it too.

- Matt

---------