Subject: Call for Papers - Intelligent Networks in the New Millenium

From: Thomas Magedanz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:55:00 +0100 (MET)

Ladies and Gentlemen!

I think this CfP may be of interest for you, as it may be a target
for dissemination of your results.

Please distribute it also to colleagues who may be interested.
Thank you.

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this announcement.]
*******************************************************************

Call for Papers

IEEE Communications Magazine
Feature Topic "Intelligent Networks in the New Millenium"
scheduled for June 2000

Guest Editors: R. Glitho and T. Magedanz

The Intelligent Network (IN) is an architectural framework developed in the
80s for the rapid and uniform creation, deployment, provision and management
of advanced telecommunication services. The IN relies on the separation of
call controll and service control to ease the deployment of new services.
The international standard bodies, namely ITU-T, ETSI and ANSI, introduced
the concept of IN capability sets (CSs) which allows for the stepwise
extension of IN capabilities, and cost reduction in IN deployment.

The last IEEE Communications Magazine feature topic on IN dates back to 1993,
when the first CS was finalized. IN has evolved quite a lot since then; today
work on CS-3 is nearly completed and work on CS-4 as been started. This
evolution is driven on the one hand by the application of IN principles
(for a unification of service creation and provision) to new bearer networks,
such as mobile networks, brdband networks and most recently the internet.
On the other hand new technologies from the IT world, such as CORBA, new
object-oriented service architectures, such as TINA, and most recently agent
technologies, have raised the question of interworking and migration/evolution.

The goal of this feature topic is to present tutorial oriented articles and
status papers of completed work, which describe the recent evolution and
sketch the future of IN. Therefore we solicit papers related to the
following subjects:

- IN standards evolution (i.e., CS-3, and CS-4)
- IN application to mobile networks (e.g., CAMEL, WIN, UMTS, IMT-2000)
- IN application to internet telephony and internet services
- IN and new technologies (e.g., CORBA, agents)
- IN interworking with alternative emerging architectures (e.g., TINA)

Authors should submit their papers following the style requirements of
the IEEE Communicatons Magazine in electronic form (PDF preferred) to
the following Guest Editors:

Dr. Thomas Magedanz                   Roch Glitho
IKV++ GmbH                            Ericsson Research
Kurfuerstendamm 173-174               8400 Decarie blvd.
D-10707 Berlin, Germany               Town of Mount Royal H4P 2N2
Email: [email-masked]                Email:[email-masked]

Important Dates:

Deadline for submissions:    September 1st 1999
Acceptance notification:     December 1st 1999
Final manuscript due date:   February 1st 2000
Publication date:            June 2000

*******************************************************************

Best regards,

Dr. Thomas Magedanz

IKV++ GmbH, Kurfuerstendamm 173-174, D-10707 Berlin, Germany
Fon: + 49 171 172 70 70              Email: [email-masked]
Fax: + 49 30-881-90-21     

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.