Subject: Re: Evaluation of Gateway Location proposals

From: Matt Squire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:59:36 -0400

>
>Assume server A advertises a record X to server B. Then, at some later
>point in time, record X is deleted. Server B won't learn that record X
>has seized to exist until it solicits an update from server A for that
>record? This could be a very slow operation. How frequently should B
>solicit updates from A, in order to minimize the probability of using
>outdated or deleted records?
>

If X is deleted at A, then A sends an request to B indicating the deletion.
 B acknowledges the deletion.  The message from A is unsolicited.  

Information is solicited only during link activation and initial
synchronization.  

- Matt

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: "Hussein F. Salama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:51:25 -0700

> Information is solicited only during link activation and initial

Since I am no expert on SCSP, I'll accept your statement. However, the
description provided in Appendix B.2.0.2 of the SCSP RFC  about the
usage of the "N" bit in the CSAS record is quite confusing. The "N" bit
is the way to indicate a record deletion.

Appendix B.2.0.2 of the SCSP RFC says:
     "The "N" bit signifies that this CSAS Record is actually a Null
     record.  This bit is only used in a CSAS Record contained in a CSU
     Request/Reply which is sent in response to a CSUS message. ....."

There was no mention of phases. So I assumed the above statement applies
to both phases (cache alignment and cache state update), not just to the
cache alignment phase.

Hussein

-- 
Hussein F. Salama
Cisco Systems
Mail Stop SJC6/3, 170 W. Tasman Drive, San Jose, CA 95134
Voice: +1 (408) 527-7147, Fax: +1 (408) 527-1714

---------