Subject: Reg. Real time Transport Protocol

From: Venkata Narasimha Murthy Nanduri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:28:13 +0530

Hai,

1) How can we know whether an RTP packet is encapsulated in the UDP data
field?
2) If it is based on the UDP port numbers, then are there any standard
UDP port
numbers that will be used for RTP?

Thanks in Advance
Murthy NVN

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:17:10 +0100

>1) How can we know whether an RTP packet is encapsulated in the UDP data

The RTP spec contains code to validate a packet, to ensure that it is RTP
data.

>UDP port numbers that will be used for RTP?

The ports used for RTP traffic are signalled out of band using your
favourite control protocol (SIP, SAP, RTSP, H.whatever, etc...). There
are no standard UDP ports for RTP traffic.

Colin

---------