Subject: Why SS7?

From: "Slutsman, Lev A, ALSVC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:51:15 -0400

Gents,
Just a few comments:
1)	SS7 and CAS compliment each other, thus for an advanced 800-calls we
must use both!
2)	About 15% LECs  still use MF signaling;
3)	Many customers, such as banks, prefer MF to interconnect to
IP-backbone due to security  issues with SS7.
Regards,
Lev.

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: "Bob Wise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:00:57 -0600

From a call signalling perspective, SS7 and CAS are not both needed for 800
calls, and are not really complimentary so much as they are just
alternatives.  An 800 call can be delivered using CAS alone, or using SS7
alone, or with a combination.

As has been pointed out by other postings, SS7 will generally give greater
speed, reliability, and additional information transfer.

Note that I am ignoring the national 800 portability issue, for which you
would probably end up using SS7 TCAP, but that has nothing to do with the
actual call setup.

What security issues with SS7?  MF isn't inherently more secure than SS7.  I
would argue the reverse, although it is true that some SS7 networks are
administered as if they were physically secure, and thus security is not
very much considered.

Banks prefer MF because they don't understand SS7, or because the CPE
equipment vendors they are using don't support it and have thus sold them
away from it.

-Bob Wise
Chief Architect
Vsys

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Slutsman,
> Lev A, ALSVC
> Sent: Thursday, June 10, 1999 11:51 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Why SS7?
>
>
>               Gents,
> Just a few comments:

---------