Subject: Comments (mostly editorial) on GWLOC Framework Document for last call

From: "David Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:15:29 -0400

Hope you find these useful. They're not technical for the most part, rather
editorial.

p.2, "location policy server", change "...information it receives via GLP"
to "...information it sends and receives via GLP"

P.2, "Peers", and numerous other places. I wonder if we should use the term
"association" rather than "connection" for the state which represents an
active peering over which GLP mesages are transmitted. The word "connection"
often implies TCP or other specifically connection-oriented transport
protocol. I don't feel strongly about this, however. In all the places I
checked, the word "association" seems to imly the right semantics, without
the overloading that the word "connection" usually has.

p. 3, first line, you talk about a gateway as a "routing" point for
application layer signaling. This is a really subtle distinction, but I have
a preference for the word "relaying" in this context, because "routing"
tends to imply all the complexity we are now associating with the LS's.

p. 4, under functions, I think some mention of loops and loop prevention is
warranted since we don't really address this elsewhere. How about:
	"o prevention of stable forwarding loops for IP telephony signaling
protocols."

p. 6, second bullett, missing word: "BGP runs between rounters *that* are
usually adjacent"

p. 15, 9.2.1, 3rd line, where you say "an IP address which is the next hop"
I think it would eliminate a lot of potential confusion is we said "IP
address which is the next *layer 7* hop".

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:10:52 -0400

> to "...information it sends and receives via GLP"

Done.

> the overloading that the word "connection" usually has.

Fine.

> tends to imply all the complexity we are now associating with the LS's.

Good point. Changed.

>         "o prevention of stable forwarding loops for IP telephony signaling

Added.

> p. 6, second bullett, missing word: "BGP runs between rounters *that* are

Fixed.

> address which is the next *layer 7* hop".

Good point; changed.

Thanks for your comments. They'll appear in the -04 draft.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------