Subject: QoS and GLP

From: Reinaldo Penno Filho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:21:27 -0300

Sorry if this is a repetition, but I didn't receive may email....

----------------------

Hi Folks,

I've been out for a long time, but I would to add a few comments to the
GLP
attributes draft.

I think there should a QoS non mandatory parameter in the spec. This QoS

parameter would indicate to the EU what mechanisms for bandwidht
reservation
(RSVP,Diffserv, etc) does the network provide on the path till he
reaches de
Gateway. I think it would be a good ideia to insert a QoS parameter now
rather to patch the spec later (if you agree of course). Making it
non-mandatory would mean that if some LS wants to advertise this
parameter,
for example,  to be more competitive fine, otherwise, just ommit it.
There's
a lot of parameters to help choose the best (or more adequate) gateway
for a
call, but few to help choose the best (or more adequate) path when the
user
is still in the IP network.

best regards,

Reinaldo

--
______________________________________
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
Núcleo de Computação Eletrônica
Instituto de Matemática

email:[email-masked]
______________________________________

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:36:58 -0400

Reinaldo Penno Filho wrote:
> rather to patch the spec later (if you agree of course). 

We have discussed ideas similar to this one in the past. The problem is
that the signaling and media paths are different and completely
independent. An LS will, in general, have no idea what QoS mechanisms
are supported along the media path. Handling of media across
administrative boundaries is best left to devices like diffserv boundary
routers and COPS servers which sit along the media path. The best we
could do would be to indicate the QoS mechanism supported in the ISP
(not ITAD, which may or may not be the same organization) of the gateway
itself. Not sure this helps much, and anyway its impossible to
aggregate.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------