Subject: FW: [IPTEL] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:19:51 -0400

Folks,

This latest version of TRIP incorporates the changes we agreed upon at the
last IETF. I am now issuing a sort, one week working group last call on this
document in order to give people a chance to look over the new draft (since
a working group last call has already been issued on -04). I will submit it
to IESG on May 4 barring any further comments.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 7:21 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Telephony Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP)
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg, H. Salama, M. Squire
	Filename	: draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt
	Pages		: 82
	Date		: 25-Apr-01
	
This document presents the Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP). TRIP is
a policy driven inter-administrative domain protocol for advertising
the reachability of telephony destinations between location servers,
and for advertising attributes of the routes to those destinations.
TRIPÆs operation is independent of any signaling protocol, hence
TRIP can serve as the telephony routing protocol for any signaling
protocol.
The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-4) is used to distribute routing
information between administrative domains. TRIP is used to
distribute telephony routing information between telephony
administrative domains. The similarity between the two protocols is
obvious, and hence TRIP is modeled after BGP-4.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:19:56 -0400

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:08:20 -0400

Hi all,

David Zinman's latest proposal for Route Types Supported in the TRIP MIB:

http://lists.bell-labs.com/pipermail/iptel/2001q2/000617.html

includes provisions for private enterprise protocols and address families.
However, TRIP does not reserve any vendor-specific name space for the
protocol and address family. I know there have been a few proposals for new
address families over the last year or so. I think we need to set aside some
name space to experiment with new protocols and address families before
permanently polluting the IANA registry.

I apologize if this issue has already been debated and resolved.

Thanks,

Bob
d:-)

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Rosenberg" <[email-masked]>
To: "List Iptel (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 2:19 AM
Subject: FW: [IPTEL] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt

Folks,

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 7:21 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iptel-trip-05.txt

Send a message to:
[email-masked].
In the body type:

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: "Hussein F. Salama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:33:24 -0700

> permanently polluting the IANA registry.

Both the application protocol field and the address family field are 16 bits
long. So I don't see a problem with setting aside a subset for vendor-specific
use.

Hussein

--
Hussein F. Salama
Cisco Systems
Mail Stop SJC-21/3, 170 W. Tasman Drive, San Jose, CA 95134
Voice: +1 (408) 527-7147, Fax: +1 (408) 527-7147