Subject: [IPTEL] KEEPALIVE in draft-ietf-iptel-trip-07.txt

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:17:54 +0300

Hi:

I am trying to understand the TRIP FSM (Appendix 1) in the TRIP draft.

Particularly, I have a doubt concerning the Established state (6).

It is clear to me that when the KeepAlive timer expires (action 9), a
KeepAlive message is sent the KeepAlive timer is restarted. Fine.

However, the FSM says that when a KeepAlive message is received (action 11),
the Hold Timer is restarted and a KeepAlive message is sent.

Therefore, I understand that the reception of a KeepAlive will generate
another KeepAlive as a response. At the other end, the reception of that
KeepAlive will generate a new one, and so on. And we will have to TRIP
implementations in a loop of infinite KeepAlive messages.

On the contrary, the corresponding text in section 9 doesn't make any reference
to send another KeepAlive message (just restart the Hold Timer).

Am I missing something or is there an error in the spec?

Regards,

     Miguel

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                        Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 5140002

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Manjunath Bangalore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:17:43 -0700

Miguel,

     I think this is an error in the spec. In the FSM table, the "Message Sent"
column for action  "Receive KEEPALIVE MESSAGE (11)" in Established state
(6) should be changed to "none".

regards,
-Manjax

---

From: "Hussein F. Salama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:57:06 -0700

> Am I missing something or is there an error in the spec?

It's an error in the appendix. The correct table entry should be:

 11            Restart Hold Timer              none             6

Thanks.

Hussein

--
Hussein F. Salama
Cisco Systems
Mail Stop SJC-21/3, 170 W. Tasman Drive, San Jose, CA 95134
Voice: +1 (408) 527-7147, Fax: +1 (408) 527-7147