Subject: [IPTEL] Call for proposals ends September 7

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:05:32 -0400

Folks,

We had some very heated discussions today in the iptel group regarding the
overall structure and approach for the "gateway registration" protocol. It
appears that there are at least two camps, one who wants to use the existing
draft, based on TRIP (draft-rs-trip-gw), and another who wants to use SLP,
although there is no specific proposal on the table at this time.

Since our deadlines are tight (and were based on the model that we had
consensus on the basic approach), we must resolve a fundamental discord like
this very rapidly - well in advance of the next IETF. In order to do that, I
have mandated that anyone who wishes to make a proposal for the "gateway
registration" protocol MUST submit an I-D with a concrete, well-thought-out
proposal by one month from TODAY. That means the proposals must be in the
archives by September 7, 2001, or we will not consider them.

I am serious about this deadline. iptel has been very, very bad in meeting
its deadlines, and I think we should take our new charter as an opportunity
to not make the same mistakes again.

I also encourage people to contribute requirements, since we will need them
in order to evaluate the proposals. I will split out the requirements from
draft-rs-trip-gw after IETF, and resubmit as a separate document. Please
send ideas to the list.

As part of the protocol proposals, please include concrete technical issues
with the current proposal. These should not be things like "too complex" or
"not meant for this problem", but rather statements like, "the current
proposal requires me to implement feature X, and feature X is not required
for this particular application". 

I will make minutes of the meeting available as soon as possible, so that
people can see what transpired.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:24:51 -0400

Hi, Jonathan:

If I understand correctly, the proposals for contributions are as follows:

1. Requirements/Framework for development of the discovery/registration
protocol (to be used between SIP proxies and GWs)

2. Proposal for the gateway discovery/registration protocol (to be used
between SIP proxies and GWs)

Do the people need to submit proposals for both at the same time because it
is felt that the requirements stated in the draft (draft-rs-trip-gw) may not
be enough to evaluate the protocol?

A clarification will really be helpful.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 6:06 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: Bradner, Scott (E-mail)
Subject: [IPTEL] Call for proposals ends September 7

Folks,

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:58:39 -0400

> From: Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 12:25 PM
> To: Jonathan Rosenberg; [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: [IPTEL] Call for proposals ends September 7
> 
> 
> Hi, Jonathan:
> 

No.

Proposals need to be made only on 2. In parallel, continously between now
and then, I'd like people to contribute and comment on overall requirements.

-Jonathan R.
---