Subject: [IPTEL] TRIP and something else...

From: "Kiarash Bodouhi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:58:09 +0430

Hello all,

I would like to state here that the point that Henning mentioned in
yesterday
meeting regarding setting aside TRIP as an interdomain only protocol and
making
another simpler protocol for intradomain is very important. As if we decide
to
separate these two then specification of TRIP will change some how. As
Jonathan
stated then we have to work out what will be needed and not needed for such
protocol.

Regarding the proxy specification and also gateways, what I was trying to
say as
moving some how the policy management from proxy to gateways was the fact
that it is a need to do traffic shaping both from source and destination. So
if we
decide to do this traffic shaping in proxies only then we need to add proxy
code
to gateways as well which I don't believe is a good idea. So we have to add
traffic
shaping feature ( the capacity and resource reporting and allocation ) both
on
proxy side and also the gateway side.

On the overall my approach would be that although gateways registering on  a
proxy
should be considered as a part of the proxy domain but in fact they should
have independent
policy management as well because it might be possible that a gateway be
registered
on two or more proxies and in that case we don't know which proxy will be in
charge
of policy. So we have to take out the policy features that are specifically
related to
gateway characteristics ( like capacity and dsp resources and so on..) from
proxies
to gateways.

Regards
Kiarash

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel