Subject: [IPTEL] Protocol Action: Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:10:57 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Telephony Routing over IP
(TRIP)' <draft-ietf-iptel-trip-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the IP Telephony Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
 This document presents the Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP). TRIP is a
 policy driven inter-administrative domain protocol for advertising the
 reachability of telephony destinations between location servers, and for
 advertising attributes of the routes to those destinations. TRIP's
 operation is independent of any signaling protocol, hence TRIP can serve as
 the telephony routing protocol for any signaling protocol.

 TRIP is modeled after the Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4) and enhanced
 with some link state features as in the Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
 protocol, IS-IS, and the Server Cache Synchronization Protocol (SCSP).
 TRIP uses BGP's inter-domain transport mechanism, BGP's peer communication,
 BGP's finite state machine, and similar formats and attributes as BGP.
 Unlike BGP however, TRIP permits generic intra-domain LS topologies, which
 simplifies configuration and increases scalability in contrast to BGP's
 full mesh requirement of internal BGP speakers. TRIP uses an intra-domain
 flooding mechanism similar to that used in OSPF, IS-IS, and SCSP.

Working Group Summary

 The working group supports this protocol, no significant issues were
 raised during IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel