Subject: RE: [IPTEL] New name for TRIP-GW

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:44:46 +0530

I too agree with Radhika and Roberto. I believe  the iptel workgroup should
not do away with "T" (read telephony) in the protocol  naming convention.
Telephony is the essence of iptel and its work. TGRP conveys the functional
meaning succinctly.

Regards,
Rakesh Khemani.
L & T Infotech Ltd.
Bangalore, India.

                    "Crizza, Roberto"                                                              
                    <[email-masked]       To:     list iptel <[email-masked]>     
                    om>                         cc:                                                
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     RE: [IPTEL] New name for TRIP-GW      
                    [email-masked]                                                          
                    l-labs.com                                                                     

                    07/09/2002 06:23 AM                                                            

I agree with Radhika and in my opinion the pronunciation of TGRP is better
than GREP.

Regards

Roberto Crizza
EDS Brazil

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R, ALASO [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 17:09
To: Jonathan Rosenberg; list iptel
Subject: RE: [IPTEL] New name for TRIP-GW

I believe that the Gateway Registration Protocol (GREP) is too broad a
term. In fact, this registration protocol is only applicable for the
PSTN-IP Telephony GWs for registration of the routable telephone
numbers.

So, I propose the name as follows:

"Telephony Gateway Registration Protocol (TGRP)"

Thanks,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 3:42 PM
To: list iptel
Subject: [IPTEL] New name for TRIP-GW

Folks,

I'd like to propose a name change for the TRIP-GW (aka TRIP-LITE)
protocol.

The reason is, as written, TRIP-GW is not actually an extension to TRIP.

Nor is it a subset of TRIP. It differs in the consolidation process
defined in the spec. This process, which allows an LS to keep multiple
routes to the same prefix, for example, is not compatible with the
decision process of TRIP. Its complementary, to be certain, but thats
not the same. If you took a normal TRIP LS and put it in front of a
TRIP-GW gateway, it would probably not do the right thing. It would
function, I think, but you would not be able to implement the
appropriate policies to process the information being generated by the
gateways.

Do people concur with this view?

If so, I would propose that we rename the protocol to the Gateway
Registration Protocol (GREP). I think the acronym is neat; the protocol
is used to search for a gateway, sort of, so grep (in the unix sense)
kind of works.

The protocol syntax and semantics remain unchanged. We will simply
indicate that large pieces of TRIP are used wholesale by this protocol,
referring the user to the appropriate sections of the TRIP spec.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Dhaval Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 11:14:07 -0700

Hi Folx,

Based on:

1. Jonathan's  initial analogy with grep, which is cool
2. The suggestion for something denoting telephony in the name
3. Sounding,

my 2 cents on this is TGREP (Telephony Gateway Registration Protocol).

Thx,
Dhaval

At 12:44 PM 9/7/2002 +0530, [email-masked] wrote:

>                     "Crizza, 
> Roberto"
>                     07/09/2002 06:23 
> AM