Subject: RE: [IPTEL] New name for TRIP-GW

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALASO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:09:20 -0400

I believe that the Gateway Registration Protocol (GREP) is too broad a
term. In fact, this registration protocol is only applicable for the
PSTN-IP Telephony GWs for registration of the routable telephone
numbers.

So, I propose the name as follows:

"Telephony Gateway Registration Protocol (TGRP)"

Thanks,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 3:42 PM
To: list iptel
Subject: [IPTEL] New name for TRIP-GW

Folks,

I'd like to propose a name change for the TRIP-GW (aka TRIP-LITE)
protocol.

The reason is, as written, TRIP-GW is not actually an extension to TRIP.

Nor is it a subset of TRIP. It differs in the consolidation process 
defined in the spec. This process, which allows an LS to keep multiple 
routes to the same prefix, for example, is not compatible with the 
decision process of TRIP. Its complementary, to be certain, but thats 
not the same. If you took a normal TRIP LS and put it in front of a 
TRIP-GW gateway, it would probably not do the right thing. It would 
function, I think, but you would not be able to implement the 
appropriate policies to process the information being generated by the 
gateways.

Do people concur with this view?

If so, I would propose that we rename the protocol to the Gateway 
Registration Protocol (GREP). I think the acronym is neat; the protocol 
is used to search for a gateway, sort of, so grep (in the unix sense) 
kind of works.

The protocol syntax and semantics remain unchanged. We will simply 
indicate that large pieces of TRIP are used wholesale by this protocol, 
referring the user to the appropriate sections of the TRIP spec.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: "Jayasimha M.R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 13:45:27 +0530

I would support TGRP with T being "Trunking" Instead of "Telephony"

Thanks,
Jayasimha