Subject: Re: [Iptel] Summary of +1-800 for tel URI discussion - context

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 12:36:39 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2002 10:35:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

[MAP] I agree it has nothing to do with "real" Security, but the description 
in the draft about verifying that the context matches before using the 
tel:uri to place a call and rejecting it if it doesn't could be called 
"security" by some. What else would it be for? I agree, it's not good enough 
to really qualify as "Security".

> 
> > It does not provide any routing information or anything else about the 
> > identity of the originator.
> 
> [JR] That has been the point Henning has been trying to make in the last 
> dozen emails he has sent.
> 
> > As such, it can be anything that the 
> > receiver can use for a comparison to verify that a call got to the right 
> > place.
> 
> [JR] No.
> 
> The context is used by the originator, not the receiver. If the 
> originator gets a URI that it determines is outside of its context, it 
> 

[MAP] Different meaning of "originator" and "receiver". By "receiver", I 
meant the entity that receives the tel:uri, which might be a gateway that 
"originates" a call into the PSTN, or "originates" ringing of a phone. The 
comparision that Henning described means that the "originator" (of the 
tel:uri) just puts it in and the "receiver" (of the tel:uri) uses it (for 
comparision).

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 12:42:45 -0500

> [MAP] I agree it has nothing to do with "real" Security, but the 
> description in the draft about verifying that the context matches before 
> using the tel:uri to place a call and rejecting it if it doesn't could 
> be called "security" by some. What else would it be for? I agree, it's 
> not good enough to really qualify as "Security".

Frankly, I don't care what misinformed people call things. It has about 
as much to do with security as rejecting a misdirected email that 
somehow founds its way to cs.columbia.edu. The whole point is that you 
want to prevent accidents and make error diagnosis easier.

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel