Subject: [Iptel] comments on rfc2806bis

From: "Alexeitsev, D" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:54:23 +0100

Hello All,

Just a few questions, comments for my clarification:

The main scope of the tel URI is the publication on the web pages, how this URI is used by the SIP UAs (mail agents, ...) i.e. if it is converted to the SIP URI by adding the default outgoing proxy address as hostportion is out of scope for this document.

Coming from the use scope the entities that tel URI will identify will be only those that are available to the regular telephone subscribers i.e. geographical nongeographical and service numbers, but not the network internal numbers that are not allowed for subscribers to dial anyway (hex digits, ...)

If it is true then there is no need to allow the use of hex digits, if the scope is more then just the numbers that are allowed for subscribers input, then the 4 bit space for address digits as defined in Q.763 must be preserved.

Greetings,
Denis Alexeitsev
_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 08:26:03 -0500

Alexeitsev, D wrote:

> The main scope of the tel URI is the publication on the web pages, how

No, it's not - that's just one. Its main scope is the identification of 
termination points identified by E.164 numbers. It could just as well 
appear in the From or To of a SIP message, for example.

>  this URI is used by the SIP UAs (mail agents, ...) i.e. if it is 
> converted to the SIP URI by adding the default outgoing proxy address 
> as hostportion is out of scope for this document.
>
> Coming from the use scope the entities that tel URI will identify will 
> be only those that are available to the regular telephone subscribers 
> i.e. geographical nongeographical and service numbers, but not the 
> network internal numbers that are not allowed for subscribers to dial 
> anyway (hex digits, ...)

Local numbers can indeed have these hex digits.

>
>
> If it is true then there is no need to allow the use of hex digits, if 
> the scope is more then just the numbers that are allowed for 
> subscribers input, then the 4 bit space for address digits as defined 
> in Q.763 must be preserved.

Given the identifier role, I'm a bit reluctant to rule out the full 
4-bit space (hex digits). Since this is just an identifier, I see no 
harm in having

tel:+1-201-ABC-1234

(where A, B, C are the hex digits, not digits on your dialpad). The only 
drawback I can see in practice is that this will indeed be confused with 
the 1-800-AAA-4357 style.