Subject: [Iptel] CPL language switch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:06:24 +0530

Hi,
Section 5.3 on Language Switches in draft-ietf-iptel-cpl-06
states
     "If the caller specified the special language-range "*",
     it is ignored for the purposes of matching."

I would assume that the caller has no specific choices about
the language and he accepts any language. Hence a CPL switch
on language trying to match a particular language is redundant.
Can I take that the 'language' output matched successfully for
this case and proceed further ?

But the next line states
     "Languages with a "q" value of 0 are also ignored."

Here the ignored word confuses me. Is it that the language
with a q=0 is ignored and other languages are used for matching?

Can someone plz clarify the same with an example ?

Thanx in advance.

Madhusudan SN.
Hughes Software Systems.
Bangalore. India.
Phone: +91-80-2286390

This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited (HSS) and is
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  It
may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:41:20 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> the language and he accepts any language. 

The caller specifies their preferred languages using the Accept-Language 
header.

> Hence a CPL switch

Of course not. If the caller indicated that they want spanish, the CPL 
language-switch can do something specific in that case.

> with a q=0 is ignored and other languages are used for matching?

Right. If the accept-language looks like:

Accept-Language: en;q=1.0, es;q=0.0, de;q=0.5

the es language would be ignored for purposes of the CPL switch.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com