Subject: Re: [Iptel] Another wrinkle: 700 numbers

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:30:06 -0500

Henning,

Define rare.

I believe that some of the 700 number space is used for the Government 
Emergency Telephone Service (GETS).

Mike

At 01:39 PM 11/30/2002 -0500, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>This is another example of a barely-unique number, except that the 
>destination depends on the carrier.
>
>I don't think we need to worry about this, but it could make life 
>interesting if put on a web page... My perception is that 700 numbers are 
>rarely used these days.
>
> From the FAQ at http://www.nanpa.com/:
>
>What is area code 700 used for?
>
>Area code 700 was assigned in 1983 on the eve of the introduction of long 
>distance competition in the US. The intent was that interexchange carriers 
>could use 700 numbers to implement new services quickly. When a 700 number 
>is dialed, the local exchange carrier processing the call routes it to the 
>presubscribed interexchange carrier, unless the caller has overridden 
>presubscription by dialing 101XXXX before the number. Thus each 
>interexchange carrier has access to all 7.92 million 700 numbers. 700 
>numbers are different from all other North American Numbering Plan numbers 
>because the destinations are not unique, and, in fact, depend on the 
>network the caller has selected.
>
>_______________________________________________
>Iptel mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:11:24 -0500

Let me restate a point I made during the meeting.

There are lots of cases where a URI has a context, such that the URI has 
a different meaning depending on the context. The way in which that is 
handled in many other URI schemes is - its not. The URI doesn't indicate 
the context in which its valid. You simply don't pass that URI around, 
and if you do, its your problem.

Thus, I asked whether we even needed context at all for the tel URI. 
After all, many other URI schemes don't provide it, and certainly the 
PSTN doesn;'t provide it. Do we need to do better?

I think the answer was that in some cases we do. However, that doesn't 
mean we need to provide context for all numbers that might appear in a 
tel URI. For some, we are simply unable to provide context. Let the user 
beware. I think the 700 number is a case where we cannot provide 
context, and indeed, probably don't want to.

-Jonathan R.

Michael Hammer wrote:
>> interesting if put on a web page... My perception is that 700 numbers 
>> are rarely used these days.
>>
>> Area code 700 was assigned in 1983 on the eve of the introduction of 
>> long distance competition in the US. The intent was that interexchange 
>> carriers could use 700 numbers to implement new services quickly. When 
>> a 700 number is dialed, the local exchange carrier processing the call 
>> routes it to the presubscribed interexchange carrier, unless the 
>> caller has overridden presubscription by dialing 101XXXX before the 
>> number. Thus each interexchange carrier has access to all 7.92 million 
>> 700 numbers. 700 numbers are different from all other North American 
>> Numbering Plan numbers because the destinations are not unique, and, 
>> in fact, depend on the network the caller has selected.
>>

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com