Subject: [Iptel] 800# numbers

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:37:55 -0500

I contacted SMS/800, the database manager for 800 numbers in the NANP. I 
received the following feedback:

--- begin quote ---
In SMS/800 you cannot assign one toll-free number to more than one 
Service Provider.  One Service Provider for each toll-free.

Thank you,
Brooke
SMS/800 Help Desk

From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 8:27 AM
To: Meyer, Brooke

I'm asking about 800 number assignment rules. In
particular, is it possible, that SMS/800 will assign a single 800
number, say, 800-555-1234, to two different RespOrgs by state or LATA.
For example, RespOrg A would get this number for New York and RespOrg B
would get the same number for use within New Jersey.
--- end quote ---

This does not quite settle the issue, since presumably each service 
provider (I gather they are called RespOrgs in 800 number lingo) could 
do a regional split ("weddings in PA, divorces in NV"). However, at this 
point, this seems highly unlikely since 800# are portable. The owner of 
the number (the divorce lawyer, say) could go national and switch 
service providers. Thus, I don't see how regional re-use of 800# is 
technically possible under the current regulatory regimen of 800# 
portability.

Unless somebody can provide evidence to the contrary, maybe we should 
consider this issue settled and treat 800# as unique identifiers (that 
may not be resolvable everywhere).

Henning

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel