Subject: [Iptel] Preliminary version of 2806bis 07

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:13:57 -0500

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-antti-rfc2806bis-07.txt

Last minute comments are appreciated; I plan to submit it to the I-D 
editor later today.

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:37:40 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2002 2:49:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> tel:411 is not particularly helpful. At least with 
> tel:411;phone-context=+1, somebody in Holland (or a gateway there) knows 
> 

[MAP] I agree that 411 by itself is not enough. But a context of +1 doesn't 
allow a GW in an area of the US where they don't use 411 (or whatever other 
n11 code is being passed) to know that the number has no local meaning (since 
it is within the +1 "context".) What about n11 codes that have different 
meanings in different parts of the US (or Canada)?

As the NANPA web site says:

"In some states, N11 codes that are not assigned nationally may be assigned 
locally, provided that these local assignments can be withdrawn promptly if a 
national assignment is made."

> 
> Again, the point is that tel is an identifier. The context just makes it 
> unique. For the N11 numbers, +1 will do fine, as they are logically the 
> same service within NANPA. Alternatively, if they are carrier-specific, 
> something like
> 
> tel:*77;phone-context=verizon.com
> 
[MAP] Presumably, Verizon would use verizon.com to indicate its own internal 
private network numbers, not to qualify its "publicly" dialable numbers. 
Other information present should identify the originator as a Verizon 
customer.

Incidentally, the character before the 77 in this example is #, not *. Either 
way, how would these "numbers" be included in the tel:uri?

> will do. As usual, concrete alternative suggestions are most appreciated.
> 
[MAP] It's time to get -07 out so we can begin the next round of comments. 
I'll concentrate on the concrete proposals for special numbers based on the 
one I made last May.

Mike Pierce
Artel