Subject: [Iptel] New charter items

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 02:05:37 -0500

Folks,

As I mentioned during the meeting, the iptel group has been asked to be 
the new home for telephony URI related work. This work encompasses a 
number of drafts which we need to formally adopt as working group items. 
I'd like to gauge general group interest in pursuing this work. Please 
comment (privately or on the list) on your desire to work on the following:

1. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-antti-rfc2806bis-06.txt

We have formally been asked to own this document. We have already been 
actively working on it so I dont anticipate there will be any objections.

2. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yu-tel-url-06.txt

We have also formally been asked to own this document. Not many comments 
on it yet.

3. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-trunk-group-00.txt

This is a new draft. While I think the draft itself requires more work, 
the main question is whether the group is interested in specifying 
extensions to the tel URI for supporting trunk groups, and whether this 
document can serve as a useful starting point for that work.

During the meeting, I pointed out that the h323 URL 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-levin-iptel-h323-url-scheme-05.txt 
would also need to be added to our charter. However, in subsequent 
discussions with the author and Scott B., it turns out that the iptel 
group does not have change control over this work. It is therefore not 
appropriate for us to work on it, and it will be handled outside of the 
iptel group.

On the subject of the enum URI, I believe there is not consensus on 
whether or not it even makes sense to have a separate URI for this. Its 
therefore inappropriate to make any charter decisions at this time. I'd 
like to see some more discussion of the specific problem, though. As I 
pointed out during the meeting, I believe it is closely related to the 
imprecise semantics of the tel URI itself. THus, I believe we own the 
general problem as part of the tel URI work.

On the CPC work, I think there is even less consensus on that, with a 
lot more discussion needed.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel