Subject: RE: [Iptel] comments on rfc2806bis

From: "Alexeitsev, D" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:47:02 +0100

Hello All

I think it could be easier to say that no visual separators are allowed in the tel URI and then it is up to the SIP-phone, mail client whatever to transform the wired user input into the digits string. This would spear us a lot of this kind of discussions.

I can not see why would someone start dialling by putting any spaces or brackets in to the telephone number as he dials. This may have unexpected impact on the regular subscriber behaviour where people would start dial brackets on the mobile phones and so on...
Anyway people are tending not to remember anything, even not the friendly http URI but use the favourites or telephone books in mobile phones.

Greetings,
Denis Alexeitsev
_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 08:31:51 -0500

You missed the point of the discussion. The recipient UA (in the SIP 
case) does not have sufficient information to insert the visual 
separators. Thus, you're losing valuable (user presentation) 
information. As noted a few times, URIs *are* meant to be seen and 
transcribed by humans; see RFC 2396.

Nobody can force you to insert visual seps, but that doesn't mean we 
should take the opportunity away from people. I much prefer

tel:+49-2232-2.63.29
to
tel:+49223226329

Can we close this discussion now - this is not a real problem.