Subject: Re: [Iptel] Hex digits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:09:12 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2002 3:27:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> E.164 doesn't mention hexadecimal digits (A-F), just "decimal digits". 

In a message dated 12/2/2002 3:55:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> "nondedactic" digits are in current use.  they need to stay.  for 
> example many telephone company internal numbers in belgium begin with 
> the "number" E.
> 

I suppose it doesn't hurt anything to leave HEX in, especially for the "local 
number". They certainly can't be used for the "global number".

I can't imagine how "E" could be used for "internal numbers" in Belgium. Do 
you mean within their own private system, never to be dialed from outside?

Mike Pierce
Artel

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:23:42 -0800

Hi,

To clarify.  the numbers beginning with E are for trusted (NNI) things 
like operator stations.  Like most 800 numbers, they are globally 
unique, but obviously not dial-able from everywhere.

thanks,
-rohan

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 02:09 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> I suppose it doesn't hurt anything to leave HEX in, especially for the 
> "local number". They certainly can't be used for the "global number".
>
> I can't imagine how "E" could be used for "internal numbers" in 
> Belgium. Do you mean within their own private system, never to be 
> dialed from outside?
>
> Mike Pierce
> Artel

---

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:07:24 -0800

Also used in Japan.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Rohan
Mahy
  Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 2:24 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [Iptel] Hex digits

  Hi,

  To clarify. the numbers beginning with E are for trusted (NNI) things like
operator stations. Like most 800 numbers, they are globally unique, but
obviously not dial-able from everywhere.

  thanks,
  -rohan

    I can't imagine how "E" could be used for "internal numbers" in Belgium.
Do you mean within their own private system, never to be dialed from
outside?

    Mike Pierce
    Artel