Subject: [ipv6-dir] directorate changes

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:43:59 +0200

All,

This is a heads-up that we are planning to make some
changes with regards to the directorates in the Internet
area.

Specifically, we have seen a need for additional review
of documents in the various stages of their development.
As an example, there are a number of proposals that
come to the int-area list. We have also seen work that
impacts both IPv4 and IPv6, such as the recent ICMP
extensions. And we need assistance in certain working
groups where we do not have the background to do a
full review.

We are planning to create an "IP directorate" that
looks at IPv6 issue as we have done in ipv6dir, but
also IPv4 issues and matters of general interest
to int-area. Mark and I asked Margaret Wasserman
to chair and help form this directorate, and she
has graciously accepted. We are currently in a
discussion of what the membership of the new
directorate should be, but it will change a bit from
the current one. And we intend to employ some
rotation, to avoid people getting overloaded and
to get more people involved.

Here's a draft charter for the directorate. Feedback
is welcome:

Internet Protocol (IP) Directorate

Advises:
Jari Arkko ([email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>)
Mark Townsley ([email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>)

The IP Directorate provides support to the IETF Internet Area Directors
regarding matters relating to general IP layer issues. One focus area of
the directorate is the output of the various Internet area working
groups and BOFs. This includes groups working on the definition of "IP
over Foo", generic IP related working groups (both IPv4 and IPv6), and
groups working on different forms of identifier-locator split designs.
Another focus area is the generic IP layer work that happens outside
working groups, such as proposals discussed in the int-area mailing list
and individual submissions via the ADs. In some cases the directorate
may also look at work outside the Internet area, if it has significant
content relating to IP layer issues.

The directorate will also consider in its reviews and contributions the
operational and manageability aspects related to the IP layer and will
coordinate with the OPS area on these subjects as needed.

The directorate consists of a small group of selected individuals chosen
for their technical knowledge in the area and their willingness to work
with the Area Directors and Working Groups to review specifications and
provide other forms of assistance.

The main tasks of the directorate are to review documents and to provide
guidance and direction in other issues that come up. Three types of
reviews are expected:

(1) Early, architectural reviews, such as those performed for WG-00
documents and for documents considered to be advanced in the int-area
group.
(2) Final reviews at AD Review, IETF Last Call, or IESG review stages.
(3) Scanning service to detect drafts from other areas that may have IP
layer issues.

Note that the directorate is not a formal review body; the IESG has that
role. Therefore, comments made by the directorate have no more weight
than those made by individual IETF participants. However, the
directorate can be thought of as an easily reachable group of
individuals who have committed to providing input.

Other tasks of the directorate include volunteering to act as technical
advisors for groups and PROTO shepherds for documents, where needed, and
raising issues that need attention from the Internet area or the ADs.
The directorate is also expected to be involved in liaison discussions
from other SDOs relating to IP layer mechanism extensions, and on
reviewing the impact to the IP layer from various identifier-locator
split designs.

Members of the directorate are expected to allocate sufficient time to
participate in conference at least once per IETF meeting cycle, review
perhaps one document per month, and follow most IP layer related groups
to some extent, and follow at least one group well enough provide advice
on all of their documents.

The directorate consists currently of:

    * Margaret Wasserman, Directorate Chair
    * Jari Arkko, Internet Area Director
    * Mark Townsley, Internet Area Director
    * <Consulting O&M ADs>
    * <Others, to be confirmed>

The directorate subsumes an earlier IPv6 directorate.

_______________________________________________
ipv6-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6-dir