Subject: What is the current status of geographic location in the IPv6 address?

From: "EricLKlein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 18:33:29 +0200

I have missed a little bit of the converstions about this, so forgive me for
asking what once was a simple question:

What is the current status of geographic location in the IPv6 address? Once
it was part of the standard, is this still true, and if so how or if not
what replaced it.

thanks,
Eric

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:07:18 -0400

Eric,

      I do not recall geographic-based addresses ever being a part of
the IPv6 standards.  Tony Hain has an individual ID that discusses one
possible approach (draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-05.txt).

      In addition, the geopriv working group is chartered with how
geographic location can be securely/privately provided for needed
services (e.g. emergency response).

Regards,
Brian