Subject: Raise the bar for v6?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:46:46 +0200

We still don't have any IPv6 root nameservers. I gather one of the 
problems here is the limit on response message sizes for DNS queries.

There are no doubt many other protocols that suffer from limitations in 
the original specs that are no longer relevant in today's 
implementations.

I was thinking that it could make sense to retire some of these 
limitations in IPv6, even if they are not really IPv6-related. The 
rationale would be that a legacy application wouldn't normally be able 
to operate over IPv6 anyway, so raising the bar shouldn't lead to 
interoperability issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 05:12:04 -0700 (PDT)

% We still don't have any IPv6 root nameservers. I gather one of the 
% problems here is the limit on response message sizes for DNS queries.

	No and Yes.  There is an IPv6 native DNS system in place
	that supports the root zone and many TLDs.  Its not 
	the production DNS, but does meet the original design goal
	of best effort service.  www.rs.net for details.   

	the production DNS does have some limitations on response
	size and that is one of the impediments for getting native
	IPv6 on the production servers.

--bill
Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

---

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:33:51 +0200

> problems here is the limit on response message sizes for DNS queries.

We did some measurements about this in an isolated test network. We
concluded that the effects are negligible:
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/ipv6/publications/v6rootglue.pdf

	rvdp