Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt

From: "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:38:09 -0700

I raised an issue awhile back regarding the Router Lifetime field and
the AdvDefaultLifetime parameter and the wording of Section 4.2 in RFC
2461. I insert the e-mail below from Erik Nordmark discussing this.
Would it be possible to consider changing the wording in Section 4.2 per
the e-mail below? Thanks.

Regards,

Pete

--> INSERT e-mail

> What I mean to say is that the parameter AdvDefaultLifetime MUST be 
> either zero or between MaxRtrAdvInterval and 9000 seconds (IPv6) per 
> RFC 2461. Same thing for IPv4 per RFC 1256 (only the parameter is 
> Advertisement Lifetime). The inconsistency (for lack of a better word)

> is that the Router Lifetime field is 16 bits and if set to anything 
> greater than 9000 seconds then this would violate the specifications. 
> So, if it is set to 18.2 hours (e.g., for some wireless cellular 
> links) it violates the specs.

Thanks, now I understand your point.

While the wording might be unfortunate and perhaps confusing, saying
that 2^^16 seconds is 18.2 hours is correct. Even though the sender will
not use more than 9000 seconds the protocol doesn't, and presumably
shouldn't, have the receivers reject RAs with a router lifetime that is
larger per the "consevative in what you send; 
liberal in what you accept" principle.

So if we change the sentence in 4.2 from:
	The maximum value corresponds to 18.2 hours.
to
	The field can contain values up to 65535 and receivers should
	handle any value, while the sending rules in section 6 limit
	the lifetime to 9000 seconds.
would that be better?

  Erik

--> END INSERT e-mail

-------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 3:56 PM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Neighbor Discovery for IP version 6 (IPv6)
	Author(s)	: T. Narten, et. al.
	Filename	: draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 86
	Date		: 2003-10-22
	
This document specifies the Neighbor Discovery protocol for IP
Version 6.  IPv6 nodes on the same link use Neighbor Discovery to
discover each other's presence, to determine each other's link-layer
addresses, to find routers and to maintain reachability information
about the paths to active neighbors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:51:35 -0400

Pete, 

Thanks for the pointer, I'll add that to the issues list
which I'll send very shortly. 

Hesham

 > From: Barany, Pete [mailto:[email-masked]]
 > Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 7:38 PM
 > To: [email-masked]
 > Cc: [email-masked]
 > Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-soliman-ipv6-2461-bis-00.txt
 > 
 > 

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:56:49 -0400

Fred and all, 

I didn't realise how efficient the secretariet will
be. I was planning to send an email letting everyone know
that I submitted 2461-bis as a personal draft and that 
NO changes were made (I'll note Fred's comments on the 
editorials and this should be fixed in the next rev). 

I'm sending an issues list shortly, I didn't update the 
document because there was no point in updating it before
sending the issues and suggesting a resolution for each one.
Unfortunately there was no time to do this before the submission
deadline. 

Thanks,
Hesham