Subject: RE: IPv6 adoption behavior

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:27:27 -0700

> Eugene M. Kim wrote:
> That said, what actually bothers me is the classic chicken-and-egg
> problem.  Application writers are reluctant to add IPv6 support
> because they know that there is little to none of IPv6 infrastructure
> (read: ISPs supporting IPv6) out there.  ISPs, on the other hand,
> are reluctant to do IPv6 business because they know that there are
> few to none of IPv6-ready applications out there. Two-way secret
> crush. I guess what we need to focus on is how to become a messenger
> of love. =)

This analysis is flawed. App developers have little influence over
deployment and so do ISPs. The market (read, consumer and enterprises)
decides if a protocol is successful.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Eugene M. Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:01:25 -0700

>decides if a protocol is successful.

No.

What customers want is to have their needs fulfilled (e.g. to be able to 
play StarCraft online at a LAN party at their houses).  As long as they 
get what they want, they are less concerned about what technology 
application developers and ISPs have used to implement it.  Thus, the 
ball is back on application developers and ISPs' side.

What the market decides is successful or not is simply a business item 
offered to them.  They don't have to, and in many cases they are not 
even willing to, decide whether specific parts used in that business 
item are successful or not.

Regards,
Eugene