Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:42:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Flow Label Specification
	Author(s)	: J. Rajahalme, A. Conta, B. Carpenter, S. Deering
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-08.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-10-28
	
This document specifies the IPv6 Flow Label field, the requirements
for IPv6 source nodes labeling flows, the requirements for IPv6 nodes
forwarding labeled packets, and the requirements for flow state
establishment methods.
The usage of the Flow Label field enables efficient IPv6 flow
classification based only on IPv6 main header fields in fixed
positions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-08.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:54:46 -0600

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-08.txt

The host ought to wait distinctly more than 120 seconds before reusing 
a flow label, lest the last packet of the previous flow with that label 
be delayed by a second more than the first packet of the new flow and 
some router takes action based on the assumption that the two packets 
belong to the same flow.

The amount by which the wait time should exceed 120 seconds should 
naturally be determined by the maximum packet lifetime, but IPv6 
discarded that IPv4 notion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:42:39 +0100

Matt, we went backwards and forwards many times on these timeouts
in earlier versions. I agree with what you say as a common sense
implementation heuristic, but I don't see how to cover it algorithmically
in the spec.

Since we are now at the stage of having resolved the IESG comments, do
you really want another text update?

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 

NEW ADDRESS <[email-masked]> PLEASE UPDATE ADDRESS BOOK