Subject: Re: IPv6 adoption behavior

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:30:41 +0100

At 10:15 AM 10/21/2003 -0400, Suresh Krishnan wrote:
>>You are wrong :) They tasted the filth of being behind NAT's
>>and not being able to do a number of things including VoIP.
>
>I am no NAT apologist but I do not think this is entirely true. Skype runs
>amazingly well behind NATs. As long as NAT is an option people will find
>ways to twist applications to work with it. It is the application
>developer who feels the pain. Not the end user.

But if I want a VoIP communication from me (behind a NAT) to some user 
behind a NAT, not using a 3rd party "location" server, how does v4 deliver, 
without the receiving user having the pain of port forwarding configuration 
on their NAT?

How do I do the same in v4 where I want end-to-end encryption on the 
application?

Tim

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Christian Strauf (JOIN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:50:50 +0200

Sorry for posting this comment, I saw the IPv6 Chairs' mail too late.

Christian
-- 
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
http://www.join.uni-muenster.de Zentrum für Informationsverarbeitung
Team: [email-masked]      Röntgenstrasse 9-13
Priv: [email-masked]    D-48149 Münster / Germany
GPG-/PGP-Key-ID: 1DFAAA9A       Fon: +49 251 83 31639, Fax: +49 251 83 31653