Subject: RE: IPv6 adoption behavior

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:16:04 -0700

Christian,

> Christian Huitema wrote:
> The Teredo design is predicated on the idea that we can ship IPv6
> as a software upgrade on the PC. The update can be enabled as part
> of an application development. That is actually quite powerful,
> and does break the chicken-and-egg problem.

True, but Teredo is both the best friend and the worst enemy of IPv6.
The best friend because it does indeed enable app developers to develop
IPv6-only apps before IPv6 is largely deployed at ISPs. The worst enemy
because if IPv6-only apps work good enough over Teredo, consumers will
no scream bloody murder to their ISPs to get native IPv6 and stick to
IPv4.

This is _not_ a criticism, but you above everyone else should understand
that one if not _the_ primary functions of Teredo is NAT traversal, and
if it does break the chicken-and-egg problem between ISPs and app
developers it does create its own chicken-and-egg problem which
basically the following: it enables IPv6 on the desktop without an
infrastructure, but OTOH it enhances IPv4 NAT which in turn delays IPv6
deployment.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Benny Amorsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:52:05 +0200

> no scream bloody murder to their ISPs to get native IPv6 and stick to

If ISPs see the a significant amount of their traffic is IPv6
encapsulated in IPv4, they will be pushed towards providing native IPv6
or at least their own IPv6-to-IPv4 gateways. Otherwise their lines to
other ISPs are burdened with the overhead of tunnelling, and traffic
that is between customers of one ISP will go to a foreign gateway and
back. Eventually when there are many applications, customers will start
demanding low latency -- certain user segments already choose providers
based on latency. Obviously native IPv6 will provide better latency than
tunnelling.

Teredo and 6to4 also ensures that there it does not make business sense
for ISPs to provide only a single IPv6-address to a user. If they do
that, the user will ignore the native IPv6-connectivity and use Teredo
or 6to4. Sure, those tunnelling technologies may delay native IPv6, but
on the other hand they ensure that when native IPv6 arrives, it will be
the real thing and not crippled.

/Benny