Subject: RE: IPv6 adoption behavior

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:49:04 -0700

> Tim Chown wrote:
> But if I want a VoIP communication from me (behind a NAT) to
> some user behind a NAT, not using a 3rd party "location" server,
> how does v4 deliver, without the receiving user having the pain
> of port forwarding configuration on their NAT?

There are several methods today; uPNP for example. Besides, not using a
3rd party location server for VOIP does not make a lot of sense. Looking
at SIP as an example, yes you can initiate a communication directly to
the IP address, but it is much more convenient to register with a
directory that almost everyone will end up doing it anyway, NAT
traversal or not.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:02:39 +0200

> directory that almost everyone will end up doing it anyway, NAT

But there is a big difference between using a 3rd party directory, and
passing data through an intermediary. That is, you might very well have
end-to-end connectivity, but use a directory to locate the other
end-point.

Stig

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:20:07 +0100

> end-to-end connectivity, but use a directory to locate the other

Indeed.
 
Tim