Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:29:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Management Information Base for the User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
	Author(s)	: B. Fenner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-02.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2003-11-20
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In
particular, it describes managed objects used for implementations of the
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) [4] in an IP version independent manner.

It is intended to obsolete RFC 2013 and RFC 2454.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:47:38 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
> Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IP
> Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.
> 
>         This memo defines a portion of the Management
> Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols
> in the Internet community.  In particular, it describes managed
> objects used for implementations of the User Datagram Protocol
> (UDP) [4] in an IP version independent manner.
> 

Without looking at this MIB module in much detail I ran it through a
routine smilint check:

 This command (smilint 0.4.2-pre1, as of Mon Oct 06 12:50:08 2003)
 has been processed to get the following results:
 smilint -m -s -l 6 UDP-MIB

 UDP-MIB:168: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index of row
 `udpEndpointEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 399 subidentifier(s)
 UDP-MIB:168: [5] {index-element-accessible} warning: index element
 `udpEndpointInstance' of row `udpEndpointEntry' should be
 not-accessible in SMIv2 MIB

The first warning is dealt with adequately in the udpEndpointEntry
DESCRIPTION clause and does not require any discussion.  The second
warning arises because there is already an accessible non-index
column udpEndpointProcess.  The rationale given for making the
index column read-only was:

        Changed udpEndpointInstance back to read-only, since there is no
        longer a mandatory non-auxiliary column in the udpEndpointTable.

While this is true since udpEndpointProcess is only conditionally
mandatory, it seems to me that there is another way to address this
issue without bending the rules.  Namely, make udpEndpointProcess
unconditionally mandatory but put language in its DESCRIPTION clause
that says its value will be zero on systems that have no concept of
a process.

In addition to the above I say a typo In the DESCRIPTION clause of
udpEndpointTable: s/udpEndpointRemoteAdderess/udpEndpointRemoteAddress/

Mike Heard

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------