Subject: Sending Fragmented packets

From: "Suvendu M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:01:16 +0530

Hi,
      I have a query. After fragmentation can the fragmented IPv6 packets
take different routes to reach the destination?? If Yes, how is PMTU
Discovery happen in that case??? Does the Source Node perform PMTU Discovery
for all probable routes to reach a Destination Node??

regards and thanks in advance
Suvendu.

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message.
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:49:17 +0200

> for all probable routes to reach a Destination Node??

PMTU discovery is not specific to the route that is used; normally
you would not even know what different routes are in use. But PMTU
discovery works essentially by decreasing the MTU until you no longer
get ICMP Packet Too Big messages. So if you were indeed using multiple
routes and one of them had a small MTU, you would get ICMP errors
from that path, until the MTU would be small enough for the packets
to get through.

More info in RFC 1981. Hope this helps,

--Jari

---

From: Keshava <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:30:19 +0530

Hi,

    Path MTU  calculated is the least value of all avilable paths to the
destination.

regards,
keshava