Subject: ISATAP and proto-41 in unmanaged networks?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:30:38 +0100

Hi Fred, 

>It just now occurs to me that Christian's unmanaged networks 
presentiation during v6ops yesterday did not mention ISATAP as one of >the 
automatic tunneling alternatives, and I wonder why this is so.

I wonder as well. Not only ISATAP but also proto-41 (that Jordi presented 
later on) were not mentioned in the Christian's presentation. Keeping in 
mind that both mechanisms (ISATAP for intra-site tunneling and proto-41 
for inter-site tunneling) are often used I asked myself why they were kept 
undercover yesterday. 

Probably some comments form the designing team of unmanaged networks 
proposal?

>ISATAP requires an ISATAP router in a site to advertise RA in apretty 
weird fashion, which is clearly a drawback.

Itojun, Teredo also requires quite an infrastructure (Teredo servers, 
Teredo relays) to function properly. In general this is valid remark for 
all transition mechanisms. However, it is not a reason to ignore some of 
them and to push others. 

Greetings, 
Mariana
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Mariana Nikolova 
Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven 
Prof. Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
room: WDC 1.35,     phone: +31-40-27-45455
e-mail: [email-masked] 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------