Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Flow Label Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:19:38 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Flow Label Specification '
   <draft-ietf-ipv6-flow-label-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Margaret Wasserman.

Technical Summary
 
The details of the IPv6 Flow Label are not defined in detail in the
base IPv6 documents (i.e., RFC 2460). Although an appendix in 2460
provides some background and a possible usage, they are not considered
part of the specification itself. This document specifies the IPv6
Flow Label field, the requirements for IPv6 source nodes labeling
flows, the requirements for IPv6 nodes forwarding labeled packets, and
the requirements for flow state establishment methods.

Working Group Summary
 
There was consensus in the WG for the current definitions. Indeed,
there has been a desire for sometime to define the Flow Label, as its
considered a part of IPv6, and its lack of a clear definition
contributed to an appearance of lack of completeness.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------