Subject: IPv6 WG Last Call:draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-02.txt

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:22:49 -0500

All,
      This is the start of an IPv6 working group last call on:

>         Title           : Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses
>         Author(s)       : R. Hinden, B. Haberman
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-02.txt
>         Pages           : 16
>         Date            : 2004-1-21

This Last Call will end on Feb 2, 2004.  This document is being
submitted as a Proposed Standard.  This last call is to verify
consensus on the text changes made in response to the previous
last call.  Substantive comments should be directed to the mailing
list and editorial comments to the authors.

Regards,
Brian & Bob
IPv6 WG co-chairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:37:28 +0100

I think this is vitally necessary and ready to go to the IESG.

If proof be needed, I heard yesterday something that I found extraordinary
until I thought about it. It seems that major companies considering
selling a division are now routinely renumbering the entire division into
Net 10 prior to the sale, so that it can be snipped off from the
corporate network in a few seconds, and NATted onto the purchaser's
network just as quickly.

(Please don't shoot the messenger - this is reality, to be dealt with.)

We need to offer a similar ability in IPv6 without creating ambiguous 
addresses and requiring NATs as a result.

   Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 

*** I will be on vacation February 3-25, 2004 ***

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:17:17 +1100

I had raised a number of issues with pervious versions of this draft, and
subsequently I've worked with the draft's authors on this.

I'd like to provide the WG with the comment that this draft resolves the 
issues I've raised and
I support it moving forward.

thanks,

   Geoff

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:22:05 -0800

>>         Filename        : draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-02.txt

This draft is a good improvement on the previous revision. However, 
there is an issue that was
discussed and that is not capture here.
The draft says:

   Locally assigned global IDs MUST be generated with a pseudo-random
   algorithm consistent with [RANDOM].

I would have like to see some stronger wording to explain that, in the 
self assigned case,
choosing FD00::/48 is a very bad idea.

    - Alain.