Subject: Comments on draft-jinmei-ipv6-rfc2462bis-00.txt

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:00:45 -0800

The section "5.4.5 When Duplicate Address Detection Fails" currently
says:

   A tentative address that is determined to be a duplicate as described
   above, MUST NOT be assigned to an interface and the node SHOULD log a
   system management error.  If the address is a link-local address
   formed from an interface identifier, the interface SHOULD be
   disabled.

The part about disabling the interface enables a DOS attack: wait for a
target to come on line and send a DAD packet, reply with a deliberate
collision, and poof the target is disconnected from the network. 

Proposed resolution: write "MAY be disabled" instead.

-- Christian Huitema

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:06:53 +0200

Christian,

> Proposed resolution: write "MAY be disabled" instead.

I strongly agree, for the reasons you give.

John

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:40:50 -0800

Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

> 	my suggestion is to leave it SHOULD.

you didnt justify why. makes no sense on an unprotected network.

Vijay