Subject: Sites in draft "Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"

From: "NOISETTE Yoann FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:47:29 +0100

Hi,

I just wanted to point out something that caught my attention when
re-reading this draft. In draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-site-local-01.txt,
section 2.4, there is an assertion that "Site is an ill-defined concept"
followed by arguments.  When reading
draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-01.txt, we can notice that the word
"site" is referred many times, often to describe or limit some features
or operations on the new defined addresses.
Then, though both documents are not to be considered as companion
documents, I was wondering if it wouldn't be a good thing that
draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-01.txt gives the meaning of "site" as
used for the writing, in order to prevent any confusion or amalgamate
with the "site" that is discussed in
draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-site-local-01.txt. As an exemple (well, for
what it's worth) we can see "Apart from link-local, scope boundaries are
ill-defined. What is a site?" (in the deprecate draft, section 2.4) on
the one hand and "Well known prefix to allow for easy filtering at site
boundaries" (in the ULA draft, section 1.0) on the other hand.
I think this should be clarified to prevent any misunderstanding.
Moreover, while the list is discussing the name to be given to the new
defined addresses (organi[zs]ation, local or... whatever), the fact to
position the meaning of "site" used throughout the document might be a
good thing.
I don't want to restart many discussions that took place on the list
many times on "what is a site", but just wonder if it is a good thing to
use "site" so many times in a document describing new addresses
alternatives to "site-local addresses" without clarifying its meaning as
far as the document is concerned. Notably, make it clear it isn't linked
to any "scope" meaning but rather to some operational deployment cases
(some examples could be provided from simple one to more complex making
use of VPN or Mobile Nodes).

My two cents, FWIW...

Yoann

NOISETTE Yoann
 &francetelecom R&D
			DMI/SIR/IPI
		42, rue des Coutures - BP 6243
		14066 CAEN Cedex 4 - FRANCE

* : +33 (0)2.31.75.90.48    * : +33 (0)2.31.73.56.26
* mailto:[email-masked]