Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: IP Version 6 Working Group (ipv6)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:07:13 -0400

The charter of the IP Version 6 Working Group (ipv6) in the Internet Area 
of the IETF has been updated. For additional information, please contact 
the Area Directors or the working group Chairs. 

IP Version 6 Working Group (ipv6)
----------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
Robert Hinden <[email-masked]>
Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
    General Discussion: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
    In Body: subscribe
    Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipv6/current/

Description of Working Group:

The IPv6 working group is responsible for the specification and
standardization of the Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6). IPv6 provides
a much larger global addresses space than its predecessor IPv4. This
enables global end-to-end communication and restores valuable properties
of the IP architecture that have been lost in the IPv4 Internet. The core
IPv6 standards are widely implemented and are starting to see global
deployment.

The IPv6 working group was originally chartered by the IESG as the IP
Next Generation (IPng) working group to implement the recommendations of
the IPng Area Directors as outlined at the July 1994 IETF meeting and in
"The Recommendation for the IP Next Generation Protocol," RFC1752,
January 1995.

The primary focus of the IPv6 w.g. is to complete the standardization of
the IPv6 protocols, and to review and update the IPv6 specifications
based on implementation and deployment experience, and advancing them on
the standardization track as appropriate.

The working group's work items are as follows:

      o Complete Prefix Delegation requirements and publish. Related
          remaining work is:
            - Develop Proxy Neighbor Discovery solution for prefix delegation
                and publish. This enables a simple site border router to
                re-advertise downstream a prefix it hears on its upstream link.
      o Complete revision of IPv6 MIBs (combined IPv4/IPv6 versions) and
          publish.
      o Complete "Default Router Preferences, More-Specific Routes, and "Load
          Sharing" and publish.
      o Update to ICMPv6 (RFC2463) and publish.
      o Complete "Node Information Queries" and publish.
      o Update Auto Configuration (RFC2462) and Neighbor Discovery (RFC2461)
          and publish.
      o Investigate approaches to optimize or eliminate Duplicate Address
          Detection (DAD) to make reduce the delays incurred by DAD when there
          is a change of network attachment points. Publish a document defining
          DAD optimizations.
      o Update "Privacy Extensions for Stateless Autoconfiguration" document
          (RFC3041) and publish.
      o Complete work on IPv6 Node Requirements and publish.
      o Complete work stemming from the working group decision to deprecate
          site-local addressing. This includes:
            - Publish document deprecating the usage of Site-Local addressing.
            - Publish revision of the IPv6 Address Architecture that includes
                the deprecation of site-local addressing.
          - Publish a replacement for site-local addresses that removes the
                major limitations and allows for local allocations.
      o Update the IPv6 Address Architecture to resolve the issues raised in
          the IAB response to the Robert Elz appeal and publish as a Draft
          Standard.
      o Complete work on Scoped Addressing Architecture and publish.
      o Update IPv6 over PPP (RFC2472) and publish.
      o Complete work on "Link Scoped IPv6 Multicast Addresses" and publish.

All new work items not listed above require the approval of the working
group and IESG before they will be taken on by the working group.

Goals and Milestones:

      Apr 04 Submit Link Scoped IPv6 Multicast Addresses to IESG for Proposed
                    Standard.
      Apr 04 Submit IPv6 Scoped Addressing Architecture to IESG for Proposed
                    Standard.
      Apr 04 Submit TCP MIB to IESG for Proposed Standard.
      Apr 04 Submit Site-Local Deprecation document to IESG for
                    Informational.
      Apr 04 Submit Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses to IESG for Proposed
                    Standard.
      May 04 Submit update to ICMPv6 (RFC2463) to be republished at Draft
                    Standard.
      May 04 Submit Router Preferences, More-Specific Routes, and Load
                    Sharing to IESG for Proposed Standard.
      Jun 04 Resubmit Node Information Queries to IESG for Proposed Standard.
      Jun 04 Submit updates to Auto Configuration (RFC2462) and Neighbor
                    Discovery (RFC2461) to be republished at Draft Standard.
      Jun 04 Submit Proxy ND to IESG for Informational.
      Jun 04 Submit update to IPv6 over PPP (RFC2472) to IESG for Draft
                    Standard.
      Jun 04 Submit update to IPv6 Address Architecture to the IESG for Draft
                    Standard.
      Aug 04 Submit Update to Privacy Extensions for Stateless
                    Autoconfiguration document (RFC3041) to the IESG for Draft
                    Standard.
      Dec 04 Submit document defining DAD optimizations to the IESG for
                    Proposed Standard.
      Jan 05 Re-charter or close working group.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:22:03 +1000

On 2004-05-05, The IESG wrote:
> 
> The working group's work items are as follows: [...]
>
>           Detection (DAD) to make reduce the delays incurred by DAD when
>           there is a change of network attachment points. Publish a
>           document defining DAD optimizations.
> [...]

Hi everyone,

	I'm interested in getting reviews and comments on
draft-ietf-ipv6-optimistic-dad-00 -- it's been through a 
few rounds already, but I'd like to take an issues list
to San Diego and, hopefully, a Last Call to Washington.

cheers,

-----Nick