Subject: Technical Differences between IPv6 and IPv4?

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:40:36 -0700

Is there an RFC or a technical document somewhere with a concise, bulleted
list of technical differences between IPv6 and IPv4?

            jak

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:52:54 -0700

James,

>list of technical differences between IPv6 and IPv4?

There is a short list in the introduction section of RFC2460 "Internet 
Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification".  There is also some of this in 
RFC 1752 "The Recommendation for the IP Next Generation Protocol".

Bob

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:30:46 +0200

> RFC 1752 "The Recommendation for the IP Next Generation Protocol".

The following should also do the trick btw, they generally tell the
story about IPv6, comparing to IPv4 and all the new bells and whistles
but in presentation, shortcut style. For complete details of course you
will have to check the RFC's.

Steve Deering's IPv6 Masterclass:
http://www.isoc.nl/activ/2002-Masterclass-IETF-IPv6.htm
Cisco's ABC to IPv6:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ios_abcs_ios_the_abcs_ip_version_6_listing.html
IPv6 from a thousand feet:
http://www.heanet.ie/conferences/2002/presentations/NRM/siframes.html

At least these are the few ones I point people to when they request
"What is IPv6" "What is better" "What changed" etc.

As for the more programming inclined, see:
http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/ by Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh
http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/~eva/IPv6-web/ipv6.html by Eva M. Castro.

Though the latter two describe AF independency which is another step
into the future.

Greets,
 Jeroen