Subject: RFC 2732 and Zone IDs

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:26:48 -0400

Hi All,

We're having a discussion on URIs and IRIs in the IESG that has led 
me to realize that the URL literal IPv6 address format described in 
RFC 2732 does not contain any provision for including a zone ID.  I 
don't think that we could simply add a "%zone-id" to the end of the 
IP address, because % is a special character in URLs.

Thoughts?  Is this something we should update?

Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:28:09 -0600

Hi Margaret,

Why not ? We are using the [] to enclose the IPv6 address, so then the %
will be also inside the square brackets, right ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: [email-masked]
> Fecha: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:26:48 -0400
> Para: [email-masked]
> Asunto: RFC 2732 and Zone IDs
> 
> 
> Hi All,
> 

**********************************
Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:16:56 -0400

I don't know...  I am far from a URL expert, but in discussions about 
how to encode IPv6 literals in URIs and IRIs, the square brackets 
don't seem to be enough.  The percent sign also has to be encoded as 
a %25 and/or changed to another character.

Does this apply to URLs, too?

Margaret

At 2:28 PM -0600 10/29/04, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>This electronic message contains information which may be privileged 
>or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of 
>the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient 
>be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the 
>contents of this information, including attached files, is 
>prohibited.
>
>
>
>

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:14:50 +0300 (EEST)

> Thoughts?  Is this something we should update?

Yes, I believe this is a problem.

Possibly the best solution is specifying a BCP that limited scope 
addresses should not be used in URLs or in applications like that.

People trying to use link-local addresses for "normal" applications is 
just causing grief.  Perhaps that needs to be stopped.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:32:33 -0600

Ok. I was referring to "addresses" only, not names.

In that case, I still think that [2001::DEAD%1] still should work, but not
www.mydomain.com%1.

Not sure either if this kind of scope option in an http request has some
use, but probably I'm missing a lot of options for that !

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:14:50 +0300 (EEST)
> Para: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> Asunto: Re: RFC 2732 and Zone IDs
>