Subject: Interface Identifier from Ethernet Address: Inverting U/L bit

From: "Rajan Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:38:25 +0530

Hi,

I could not understand the reason why U/L bit needs to be complemented?
Is it simply to increase readability of overall IPv6 address?

regards
rajan

_________________________________________________________________
NRIs - Free money transfer to India. Fly to India for free!  
http://acm.bridgeovertw.com/hdfc/qr/landingpage/sep04/index.htm?sitecode=610|394 
Apply Now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:42:29 +0200 (EET)

> Is it simply to increase readability of overall IPv6 address?

Yes.

(For manually configured addresses, that is.)

It also allows you to specify cool manual addresses like 2001:db8::53 
(where the IID is not universal).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:49:55 -0800

Rajan,

>Is it simply to increase readability of overall IPv6 address?

See fifth paragraph of section 2.5.1 of RFC 3513, starting with "The 
motivation for inverting the "u" bit....".

Bob